FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Forced Gate Check Carry-ons? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1730938-forced-gate-check-carry-ons.html)

televisor Jan 7, 2016 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 25978420)
This. It's easy to end up with a bag of $10K+ camera gear if you go for a professional quality back and a few more exotic lenses, and if an airline makes it hard to protect/insure a very valuable kit, it's not my fault if it takes some time for them to get their system that does it to work.

It's worth noting that Delta and United both only accept excess valuation up to $5000 (which is easy to go over with photographic equipment, as you mentioned). United's wording potentially suggests they won't even accept a bag over that value ("United will accept baggage with a declared value up to $5,000 USD/CAD provided the item is properly described, properly packaged and undamaged."), whereas Delta suggest that's just the maximum they will insure it to.

LaserSailor Jan 7, 2016 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 25975064)
This post reminds me of why I carry, in the front pocket of my DL-provided 2MM award rollaboard, a copy of an e-mail from the DL rep assuring me that the bag is carry-on legal.

;)

This thread can now return to the "I know you are but what am I?" bickering.

Trumped by the airline right to check any bag at their discretion, which you agree to when you purchase ticket.

kthomas Jan 7, 2016 11:34 pm

Probably worth repeating:

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25871681)
I'd be afraid that in a case like this, a redcoat would defend the GA and if pushed, prevent you from flying.

I read this far to see what was going on, and stopped.

As a DM who flew about 110K this year and banked, some of it on these routes, I haven't experienced this issue.

Is this issue really "as presented?"

Perhaps a different attitude or approach would result in an entirely different set of behaviors, and eliminate the perception of GAs/FAs acting arbitrarily in regard to this matter.

kthomas Jan 7, 2016 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by televisor (Post 25981403)
It's worth noting that Delta and United both only accept excess valuation up to $5000 (which is easy to go over with photographic equipment, as you mentioned). United's wording potentially suggests they won't even accept a bag over that value ("United will accept baggage with a declared value up to $5,000 USD/CAD provided the item is properly described, properly packaged and undamaged."), whereas Delta suggest that's just the maximum they will insure it to.

Hmm. Have you tried? It's been a while, but I once flew TWA with an item insured to a few multiples of that. (Which they misplaced for under 30 minutes).

If such insurance and the airline's responsibility / financial interest have been decoupled, I would expect the insurance cost to be much more.

And can that new guy with all the charts a few days ago give us some projections on the cost here :) ? Isn't this just the kind of associated service DL can make money on -- because our cost/risk should be much lower than a private party?

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 8, 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 25978420)
This. It's easy to end up with a bag of $10K+ camera gear if you go for a professional quality back and a few more exotic lenses, and if an airline makes it hard to protect/insure a very valuable kit, it's not my fault if it takes some time for them to get their system that does it to work.

Buy a guitar case.

Have someone install in it a custom foam insert with cutouts for your camera equipment.

Guitars trump all carry-on rules.

(Of course, I am just being facetious. ;))

beachmouse Jan 8, 2016 1:21 pm

Hmmm. Spousal Unit also has a stash of hard guitar cases and it wouldn't be that hard to do foam inserts in one....

matthew64832 Jan 8, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 25985540)
Buy a guitar case.

Have someone install in it a custom foam insert with cutouts for your camera equipment.

Guitars trump all carry-on rules.

(Of course, I am just being facetious. ;))

This is actually genius.

davetravels Jan 8, 2016 5:20 pm

I was boarding flight recently, and, there was a 20something girl (who was flying in Y) right in front of me with a guitar case. We stepped on board, and she asked the FA if there was somewhere she could put her guitar case. The FA eagerly obliged, and opened the closet. He took it from her - - (seemed normal to me) - - and she RAISED her voice and said - - IT'S FRAGILE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA TREAT IT LIKE THAT - - GIVE IT BACK TO ME!!! . . . . . . . .

Must've been LOADED with camera equipment!! ;)

jrl767 Jan 8, 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 25987186)
... a 20something girl (who was flying in Y) right in front of me with a guitar case. We stepped on board, and she asked the FA if there was somewhere she could put her guitar case. The FA eagerly obliged, and opened the closet. He took it from her - - (seemed normal to me) - - and she RAISED her voice and said - - IT'S FRAGILE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA TREAT IT LIKE THAT - - GIVE IT BACK TO ME!!! . .

wow ... some might say that belongs in the DYKWIA thread ...

televisor Jan 8, 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas (Post 25982262)
Hmm. Have you tried? It's been a while, but I once flew TWA with an item insured to a few multiples of that. (Which they misplaced for under 30 minutes).

If such insurance and the airline's responsibility / financial interest have been decoupled, I would expect the insurance cost to be much more.

And can that new guy with all the charts a few days ago give us some projections on the cost here :) ? Isn't this just the kind of associated service DL can make money on -- because our cost/risk should be much lower than a private party?

Never tried - but I thought I'd research what value I should actually (try to) declare if I ever end up in the situation (since I do carry photographic gear). I'm actually a UA flyer, and have never experienced overzealous gate-checking, but I prefer to be prepared.

Dieuwer Dec 5, 2016 8:46 pm

Are carryons on JFK-BOS flights (CRJ900) mandatory gate-checked?

acrophobia Dec 5, 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27570585)
Are carryons on JFK-BOS flights (CRJ900) mandatory gate-checked?

Typically, yes. The overhead compartments are quite tight. However, I have been surprised a few times by what people have managed to stuff up there, assuming the FA's allow them to try. Overall, gate checking is no big deal though.