FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Forced Gate Check Carry-ons? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1730938-forced-gate-check-carry-ons.html)

davetravels Jan 3, 2016 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa (Post 25955700)
I believe I DIDN'T actually :D I went back and reread my original post.

Yes, perhaps you're right, technically, as far as the rent-a-guard at the head of the cue really isn't a DL employee charged with enforcing FAA rules / laws.

The same thing happened to me, actually - - A different trip from the one I mentioned earlier.

I was at LGA flying - something like - LGA/DTW/AMS/TXL. I had a close connection somewhere. A burgundy coated woman working for LGA airport, I guess, (NOT a RedCoat) at the head of the security line told me that my bag was too big. I went back to the counter, and, I believe I actually pulled a DM DYKWIA!! :D But . . . . It didn't work! :D I had to check my bag - and it DID arrive in TXL!

:)

Jeff767 Jan 3, 2016 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 25850751)
When GA's get incentive bonuses for getting a plane out on time, they really care little about their customers, plain and simple.

If the GA's would just enforce the carry on limit that would help a lot. Earlier this week I saw someone taking on four (yes four!) pieces - a carry on, a personal item, a purse and a shopping bag. That really needs to stop. But GA's almost never care. I can remember only one time that a GA patrolled carry on items and made people condense or check a piece. Extremely rare (again, because by that time, it holds up boarding and the GA might lose their incentive).

Delta does not give bonuses to agents for a on time departure.

NWA777 Jan 3, 2016 7:51 pm

We were in BTV going through TSA checkpoint and the female TSA person said I need to check my bag. I said this bag (Tumi International Carryon, plus I have the red DL carryon tag on my bag) has been with me all over the world and no I don't want to check it. I said this meets DL carryon policy. She then just looked at us as we passed by.

Yes, it does meet the DL size for carryon.

Another time, I don't recall city, they were asking for volunteers to gate check their luggage, I didn't do mine, the GA said the flight was full and they need people to check there bags. I saw this young girl, who said she needed her bag with her because she has a lot of expensive stuff, they made her check it. Anyway, I was in zone SKY, I didn't check mine. After everyone boarded the aircraft, I noticed there were a several bins empty. I felt so bad for her.

I have been asked before in the past, even though it's DL Carryon size. I explain that I have thousand's of $ of camera equipment. They then say it's OK. So far so good for me.

I wish they would enforce the carryon size rule. I see so many people with oversize bags.
When I dropped off my mom at the MCO airport last week, I had brought my Tumi with me to make sure the bag would fit in the bin, just in case they made the carry on size smaller. It still fits.

Is this something new for TSA to start deciding who gets to bring in a carry on?
PS Where is this a Federal Policy/Law? Does anyone have this in writing?

sethb Jan 4, 2016 9:20 am

Originally Posted by vivamie (Post 25951789)
I had a similar experience on 11/30/15 on the last leg of a 22 hour return trip between africa (to see my son and grandson) and the US. I had checked the Delta website in advance, measured my roll aboard carry-on before leaving, tested the carry-on in the sizer. For a trip of that length I carry both a small back pack and the roll aboard. I have been stranded over night by Delta/AirFrance on 2 of the last 3 times I visited my son (we DO love to go on strike). So I bring medications, a small pillow for my back (have a 12-inch rod), the electronics I don't want stolen, a clean pair of underwear, a toothbrush, my travel documents, small amount of currency for the countries I'm traveling through. This crap adds up. The very same bag I had placed in an OVERHEAD bin when I left home was banned from the last, yes smaller, plane on my way home. But my biggest issue was the smug, rude behavior of the flight attendant. I DID initially challenge him when he refused to let me board the plane, after all I've carried the same bag on similar flights any number of times. But I'm a wimp and I backed down. After I finished unloading all my "valuables" into a make do carry-on plastic bag, I asked where I could get info on what size bags I COULD bring for future flights. The guys was so hostile I wanted to cry. When I left the plane, he muttered to me as I passed "And now you can put it all back." C'mon really! I'm the doofy lady that pulls other peoples' missed trash out of the seat pocket. My sister was a flight attendant. I just want to know what the damn rules are so I can follow them. And yes, in my travels since then I would describe the effort to "gate check" bags as pushy and hostile. So I don't think the initial post is as much about having the "right" to carry bags on the plane as having the right to be treated fairly, consistently, courteously by the airlines.

There's a standard, published, carry-on size. There are some planes whose overheads are too small to hold it (and others that can hold it, but only for a very small fraction of passengers).

sethb Jan 4, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 25955826)
I have tried this before. The response was that there wasn't enough time, and I should have done this earlier (despite not knowing that I would be forced to gate check it) but I could still do it and get rebooked to the next flight.

I sent a complaint to Delta and got a non-response.

I would video record myself asking to buy insurance and them refusing to sell it, and inform them that the recording would be played in court if necessary to establish their responsibility. Then I'd offer to take a later flight for Denied Boarding Compensation, if they wished.

vincentharris Jan 4, 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25877519)
I haven't run into this on a flight where they're printing real checked tags, only gate checking. (Being Diamond, I tend to board early enough that finding space won't be an issue.)

I find they are doing this now even before pre board.

BHammy Jan 4, 2016 2:44 pm

Newest update...

Previously, I had inquired Delta as to the validity of this whole issue and got a response here.

I have since replied that it's not really an option to "pull items from my bag and carry them on" since the whole point of the carry on bag is that I'm carrying expensive camera gear or laptops and the bag is for their protection/organization.

Here is their latest response:
I do understand your concern with the way the agents are handling the carry-on bag policy - especially since the last situation involved a Red Coat. I get your frustration in being told you have to gate check your bag, when you have special items in the carry-on bag that you didn't want to be put in a checked bag. We realize that more passengers are taking carry-on bags, so there has been an increase of bags checked at the gate. Both our gate agents and flight attendants, should be monitoring and in constant communication during the boarding process; to ensure that passengers are only bringing one carry-on bag, and that all the bins have been filled. So, if this isn't happening we want to know so we can address it with the appropriate team members and leadership team.

One suggestion I can give both you and your wife, is to bring a small personal bag (which is allowed) so you can move items into in case you do have to gate check your bag. I realize this isn't the ideal situation, but it's something that I do and is a quick solution to keeping some of your personal items with you. As we continue to review our carry-on bag policy and procedure, your comments will help us improve our service.

So now we enter into a new realm of definition...between "carry on bag" vs "small personal bag (which is allowed)"

Again, my response was non conclusive when asking:
in the mean time, before the leadership teams come up with a process that is known to gate agents and customers alike, when I have to tell a gate agent or flight attendant that: "No, I will not be checking this bag because of the contents - it will fit under the seat in front of me" - what option do I have?
other than coming up with a "small personal bag" ???

I think I'll come up with Cabin OK sized bag that fits in a normal sized carry on roller bag. Then when I say, can I remove the contents and carry them on - I'll just unzip the larger roller, pulling out a smaller roller. ;)

jb1012xna Jan 4, 2016 5:35 pm

I have noticed a uptick in the aggressiveness of wanting to pink-tag bags...though flights I've noticed this on were either on CR2s or CR7s, so I don't know that anyone should be surprised if your bag isn't in DL's "official" guidelines for carry-on size if you're flying one of those birds.
I haven't seen it enforced as much on mainline flights.

ACCDraw Jan 4, 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 25850751)
. . . Earlier this week I saw someone taking on four (yes four!) pieces - a carry on, a personal item, a purse and a shopping bag. That really needs to stop. . .

Agree.

Similar situation - ATL-SNA 12/31. Young woman (aisle) with two coats, back-pack, large travel tote and food. She seemed clueless where to put it all. I was surprised FA didn't see the tote at her feet (not under the seat).

Plane was packed Holiday & end of IRROPS so figured crew were just trying to
get the plane in the air.

Seriously, can't backpacks be checked?

lexmarks567 Jan 5, 2016 12:36 am

So I'm flying delta in April Detroit to Seattle. I plain to only have a standard backpack since it's just a overnight trip. Will I get hassled and forced to gate check a backpack or are they only going after those with standard carry on? I've only every flown southwest before so delta will be new territory.

Lakeviewsteve Jan 5, 2016 12:43 am

Originally Posted by BHammy (Post 25961241)
Newest update...

Previously, I had inquired Delta as to the validity of this whole issue and got a response here.

I have since replied that it's not really an option to "pull items from my bag and carry them on" since the whole point of the carry on bag is that I'm carrying expensive camera gear or laptops and the bag is for their protection/organization.

Here is their latest response:
I do understand your concern with the way the agents are handling the carry-on bag policy - especially since the last situation involved a Red Coat. I get your frustration in being told you have to gate check your bag, when you have special items in the carry-on bag that you didn't want to be put in a checked bag. We realize that more passengers are taking carry-on bags, so there has been an increase of bags checked at the gate. Both our gate agents and flight attendants, should be monitoring and in constant communication during the boarding process; to ensure that passengers are only bringing one carry-on bag, and that all the bins have been filled. So, if this isn't happening we want to know so we can address it with the appropriate team members and leadership team.

One suggestion I can give both you and your wife, is to bring a small personal bag (which is allowed) so you can move items into in case you do have to gate check your bag. I realize this isn't the ideal situation, but it's something that I do and is a quick solution to keeping some of your personal items with you. As we continue to review our carry-on bag policy and procedure, your comments will help us improve our service.

So now we enter into a new realm of definition...between "carry on bag" vs "small personal bag (which is allowed)"

Again, my response was non conclusive when asking:
in the mean time, before the leadership teams come up with a process that is known to gate agents and customers alike, when I have to tell a gate agent or flight attendant that: "No, I will not be checking this bag because of the contents - it will fit under the seat in front of me" - what option do I have?
other than coming up with a "small personal bag" ???

I think I'll come up with Cabin OK sized bag that fits in a normal sized carry on roller bag. Then when I say, can I remove the contents and carry them on - I'll just unzip the larger roller, pulling out a smaller roller. ;)

I hope they charge the guy that wrote that stupid reply for an oversized head lacking a full size brain.

Scott H Jan 5, 2016 7:15 am

Originally Posted by lexmarks567 (Post 25963644)
So I'm flying delta in April Detroit to Seattle. I plain to only have a standard backpack since it's just a overnight trip. Will I get hassled and forced to gate check a backpack or are they only going after those with standard carry on? I've only every flown southwest before so delta will be new territory.

You should not have a problem as the backpack will fit under the seat in front of you.

televisor Jan 5, 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Scott H (Post 25964777)
You should not have a problem as the backpack will fit under the seat in front of you.

My standard backpack does not fit under the seat - why are you so sure his will?

However I've noticed GA's tend not to gate check backpacks even when they force gate-checking rollaboards, so he's probably fine.

udontknowme Jan 5, 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by televisor (Post 25965452)
My standard backpack does not fit under the seat - why are you so sure his will?

However I've noticed GA's tend not to gate check backpacks even when they force gate-checking rollaboards, so he's probably fine.

So you're that guy who comes bumping down the aisle humping more gear than we used to carry for a 21 day Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, oblivious to the fact that the pack takes up space and moves into others space when you move/rotate.

slidergirl Jan 5, 2016 10:34 am

There are daypacks and there are backpacks; which do you have? My Mountain Hardware Agama pack (now 6 years old) is a 31L bag that will still fit under my seat. My Osprey Talon 22 pack (now 9 years old) is a 22L bag that is harder to fit because it has a full hip strap system. I've also never been asked to pink tag my Agama pack, but I've raised eyebrows with my Talon.

I had my Agama with me on my last 4 Delta flights. There were the roaming agents doing the tagging in the waiting areas. People on either side of me were approached to tag - I was not.

Scott H Jan 5, 2016 10:54 am

OK so maybe I took the liberty of assuming the backpack was similar in size to mine, which is packed full but still fits in the seat in front of me.

bubbashow Jan 5, 2016 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25851945)
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time.

It's becoming clear why some have "issues" with Delta. My attitude is totally different when I fly and could be why I have overwhelmingly positive experiences. More flies with sugar

QDDawg Jan 5, 2016 1:00 pm

I have no issue if they REALLY HAVE to check the bags.

But I can't count how many times I've boarded the plane (I typically check a bag) and have seen empty overhead bins after they already forced bags to be checked. It has to be at least 50% of the flights I'm on.

Bags lined up by the jet bridge door way waiting to be loaded when there are numerous bins open.

Then the flight attendants just go and shut overhead bins - that still have room.

It just makes the customer unhappy and the ground crew do more work.

lexmarks567 Jan 5, 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl (Post 25965897)
There are daypacks and there are backpacks; which do you have?

A normal school type backpack.

beachmouse Jan 5, 2016 2:02 pm

This x2. My Pacsafe shoulder bag/backpack that's bigger than a lot of wheelie bags (but still fits in the sizer) always just gets waved through by the GA even when they're otherwise on a tear about gate checking those smaller wheeled bags for a full load RJ.

sethb Jan 5, 2016 4:57 pm

How big is the "standard backpack"? Will it fit under a seat? (What size plane?)

sethb Jan 5, 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25966777)
It's becoming clear why some have "issues" with Delta. My attitude is totally different when I fly and could be why I have overwhelmingly positive experiences. More flies with sugar

I also have overwhelmingly positive experiences. Apparently better than yours, if ability to SDC to Delta 1 in included in the calculation.

I just don't tend to have the few worst experiences, because I know how to avoid them.

bubbashow Jan 5, 2016 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25968265)
I also have overwhelmingly positive experiences. Apparently better than yours, if ability to SDC to Delta 1 in included in the calculation.

I just don't tend to have the few worst experiences, because I know how to avoid them.

I would never contemplate behaving the immature way you described at the gate. It's not in my DNA to be so difficult.

sethb Jan 5, 2016 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25968284)
I would never contemplate behaving the immature way you described at the gate. It's not in my DNA to be so difficult.

I do not consider risking my valuable property without appropriate insurance to be "immature".

bubbashow Jan 5, 2016 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25968579)
I do not consider risking my valuable property without appropriate insurance to be "immature".

You yourself typed it was to delay departure. That's not well-balanced adult behavior. To each his own.

jb1012xna Jan 5, 2016 6:44 pm

I don't know that specifying the type of bag really works. You could have a backpack that only has 2 books that weigh 2lbs each that easily fits anywhere or the same bag stretched with 30lbs of whatever that barely can be wedged into an overhead. Don't the models of what your bag needs to be able to fit in at the airport give you a better example than a word that can mean many different things?

televisor Jan 5, 2016 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by udontknowme (Post 25965692)
So you're that guy who comes bumping down the aisle humping more gear than we used to carry for a 21 day Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, oblivious to the fact that the pack takes up space and moves into others space when you move/rotate.

My bag is actually smaller than most rollaboards, I carry it in my hand while walking down the aisle, and you can find a picture here: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/produc...ks/farpoint_40 (and it still doesn't fit under the seat when full)

// Edit: just for clarity: dimensions of this bag are 21x13x9", Delta (and UA) max hand luggage size is 22x14x9".

gooselee Jan 5, 2016 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by QDDawg (Post 25966834)
I have no issue if they REALLY HAVE to check the bags.

But I can't count how many times I've boarded the plane (I typically check a bag) and have seen empty overhead bins after they already forced bags to be checked. It has to be at least 50% of the flights I'm on.

Bags lined up by the jet bridge door way waiting to be loaded when there are numerous bins open.

Then the flight attendants just go and shut overhead bins - that still have room.

It just makes the customer unhappy and the ground crew do more work.

+1

Flew to SJU last year and the GA hemmed and hawed about needing to check bags when we showed up at the gate during Zone 1. We handed over our bags, walked on board, and easily 75% of the bins were open and empty. At the end of the flight, the guy across from us actually had to walk back three rows to get his bag because it had slid back that far during the flight.

OTOH, I have noticed that FAs in the past couple months have been shutting FC bins after most of FC is on board. Or perhaps just leaving one shut from the beginning. This is quite useful as I often board very late, and when they see that I'm in F, they pop open a FC bin that still has room for 2-3 more bags. And yesterday I had an FA who shooed away a pax who tried to store their bag in FC when they were obviously headed back to Y. She got a nice TTU sent in after we landed.

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25968265)

This. It shouldn't surprise me anymore, but it always does when I see someone who at the airport or on board who is a) completely clueless about how air travel works and b) acting in a manner that is actually making their situation worse.

lexmarks567 Jan 5, 2016 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25968255)
How big is the "standard backpack"? Will it fit under a seat? (What size plane?)

the backpack is around 11 inches wide about 16/17 inches tall and 7 inches deep give or take. the backpack is currently empty and trying to shape it to get measurements was a challenge. I've taken it on southwest but can't remember if I put it under the seats or not. I have put it in the overhead bins.

sethb Jan 6, 2016 12:35 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25968650)
You yourself typed it was to delay departure. That's not well-balanced adult behavior. To each his own.

No, I typed that it was to get to keep my bag with me because checking it would delay departure.

sethb Jan 6, 2016 12:37 am

Originally Posted by lexmarks567 (Post 25969625)
the backpack is around 11 inches wide about 16/17 inches tall and 7 inches deep give or take. the backpack is currently empty and trying to shape it to get measurements was a challenge. I've taken it on southwest but can't remember if I put it under the seats or not. I have put it in the overhead bins.

My guess is that would fit under a seat in mainline planes, especially if it's compressible from those dimensions.

bubbashow Jan 6, 2016 4:34 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25969834)
No, I typed that it was to get to keep my bag with me because checking it would delay departure.

Originally Posted by sethb
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

...and you would make sure it would delay the departure. You typed it...I'm not making stuff up here. It is pretty clear. Nice for the other 180 other people waiting to get along with their plans. "My Own Policy". Kinda sad

Crazyhotelguy Jan 6, 2016 5:30 am

Just to throw in, there would be more space available in OH bins if they were packed correctly. I am always amazed at how many DM/PM folks still do not get the concept that on a 2/3 aircraft, the Rollaboard goes on the 3 side and the smaller bags go on the 2 side.... one of my travel pet peeves, especially when the FA'S do not intervene (but are just watching)

Crazyhotelguy Jan 6, 2016 5:42 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25970460)
My own policy is that I would buy checked baggage insurance from Delta if they insist on checking such items. The point isn't the money, it's the amount of time it would take the GA to figure out how to sell the insurance, which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

...and you would make sure it would delay the departure. You typed it...I'm not making stuff up here. It is pretty clear. Nice for the other 180 other people waiting to get along with their plans. "My Own Policy". Kinda sad

Are you that guy that stands at the podium chatting up the GA with meaningless bs, small chat, etc. Throwing all kinds of sugar to attract the flies, thus ensuring you never fall victim to the GA rules, made up or legit?

I cannot imagine that you have never had some negative experience with an overly aggressive GA that pushed the rule envelope, and who did not need some form of creative pushback to be reminded that some of us aren't stupid....

The OP said that they would seek to purchase the insurance, thus aggrevating the GA enough to basically ensure they would not have to check. If the OP'S bag would legitimately fit and is not violating the rules, I have no issues with such civil pushback. It is the guy/gal that aggressively argues / or pretends to be oblivious while obviously bringing on too much that makes things bad for everyone....

sethb Jan 6, 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25970460)

I wouldn't make sure it would delay the departure. If they said "OK, the cost is $15 per $1,000 insurance, how much do you want and please hand me a credit card" I'd just do that.

Of course, if I saw empty bins when I boarded, I'd photograph them and ask for my money back after the flight.

bubbashow Jan 6, 2016 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25972520)
I wouldn't make sure it would delay the departure. If they said "OK, the cost is $15 per $1,000 insurance, how much do you want and please hand me a credit card" I'd just do that.

Of course, if I saw empty bins when I boarded, I'd photograph them and ask for my money back after the flight.

..... which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

StayingHomeIsBetter Jan 6, 2016 7:12 pm

This post reminds me of why I carry, in the front pocket of my DL-provided 2MM award rollaboard, a copy of an e-mail from the DL rep assuring me that the bag is carry-on legal.

;)

This thread can now return to the "I know you are but what am I?" bickering.

gooselee Jan 6, 2016 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 25970642)
Just to throw in, there would be more space available in OH bins if they were packed correctly. I am always amazed at how many DM/PM folks still do not get the concept that on a 2/3 aircraft, the Rollaboard goes on the 3 side and the smaller bags go on the 2 side.... one of my travel pet peeves, especially when the FA'S do not intervene (but are just watching)

Oh god. As the routes I fly seem to be almost exclusively served by Mad Dogs, this gets a +27342653645 from me.

What's especially frustrating is that I use a 18" rollaboard that actually does fit in the 2-seat side, but it's rare that I can convince an FA that everything can fit if they swap the purse on the 3-side with the Tumi steamer on the 2-side, and then my bag will slide right in next to the purse.

I played Tetris a lot as a kid.

sethb Jan 6, 2016 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 25973273)
..... which would guarantee that the flight would not leave on time

That's Delta IT's fault, I'd be perfectly happy if they fixed things so it took only a few seconds the way it should.

beachmouse Jan 7, 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 25976220)
That's Delta IT's fault, I'd be perfectly happy if they fixed things so it took only a few seconds the way it should.

This. It's easy to end up with a bag of $10K+ camera gear if you go for a professional quality back and a few more exotic lenses, and if an airline makes it hard to protect/insure a very valuable kit, it's not my fault if it takes some time for them to get their system that does it to work.