Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ now considered an upgrade for Amex Companion Certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

I spoke with the Diamond line yesterday (who apparently contacted the promotions desk) and I was told that a DM traveling on an Amex companion certificate would be categorically excluded from upgrading to C+ (whether it be free at the new upgrade window or by paying) as C+ is now considered an upgrade and no upgrades are allowed on companion certificates.

Does anyone have any actual evidence yet to verify this?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I spoke with the Diamond line yesterday (who apparently contacted the promotions desk) and I was told that a DM traveling on an Amex companion certificate would be categorically excluded from upgrading to C+ (whether it be free at the new upgrade window or by paying) as C+ is now considered an upgrade and no upgrades are allowed on companion certificates.

Does anyone have any actual evidence yet to verify this?
This would start with flights on about May 16th, right?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
more validation of the "C+ is the new F for Medallion UGs" end game
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Another devaluation, if the C+ seat is available any elite should receive it!!!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: DL FO
I was already thinking about ditching my DL Amex. If true, this seals the deal.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was wondering about that and suspected this would be the case... no point in having the plat card now if you have status as the Y- companion ticket is complete junk now since you can't even get a decent seat.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:13 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Doesn't surprise me, based on the strict wording of the lingo.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mpheels
I was already thinking about ditching my DL Amex. If true, this seals the deal.
Maybe keep the credit card for benefits like the free bag and ditch the FO status?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can downgrade to the gold card and save 50 bucks or whatever on the annual fee then too. The plat card doesn't do anything over the gold for perks.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:39 am

Yes a devaluation, but the companion-with-no-status C+ (CWNSC+) rule effectively killed this for me already.

When I use the companion certificate, the certificate gets applied to my companion (b/c I want the miles/MQMs for the trip and the cert does not accrue them). So in this circumstance, I would be a PM flying on a paid ticket with a CWNS flying solely on a cert. The CWNS would put me at the bottom of the C+ upgrade queue in any event, making that upgrade highly unlikely. This rule just makes it totally impossible, which is not that far from highly unlikely.

Last edited by flyerwma; Dec 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm Reason: to add "solely" in reply to post 14
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Not surprising but still disappointing. Exit rows are going to be in high demand going forward I guess.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Can downgrade to the gold card and save 50 bucks or whatever on the annual fee then too. The plat card doesn't do anything over the gold for perks.
Plat card has the mileage booster.

We use lots of these certs to fly my or Mrs. Lee's parents around. What sucks is if you can't even pay for the C+ assignment now that it's bundled.

Oddly, this will probably result in me upgrading to DL Reserve and using the FC companion cert for myself.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe keep the credit card for benefits like the free bag and ditch the FO status?
FO status basically just happens with my travel patterns - no special effort or mileage runs required, and DL is almost always the cheapest for the routes I fly most often. So FO is effectively free, and the Amex is not.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
When I use the companion certificate, the certificate gets applied to my companion (b/c I want the miles/MQMs for the trip and the cert does not accrue them). So in this circumstance, I would be a PM flying on a paid ticket with a CWNS flying on a cert.
This is not quite correct. Both you and your companion are "flying on a cert" because the cert's ticket designator is applied to both the paid fare and the complimentary fare. Quoting from the cert's rules:
Farebasis Code/Ticket Designator
Applicable fare basis code/NN3W (paid)
SCMPL8/NN3W(companion)
Both the paid fare and the companion fare have the "/NN3W" ticket designator applied to them, so it is not true that the paid fare is not also "flying on a cert".
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The designator is treated as an upgrade inhibitor by the system, so assuming they are using the same type of coding for upgrade processing of C+, the system won't acknowledge the upgrade request. I went through the process with a companion cert I have, and it does let me check the box for C+ upgrade request, however I don't know if it actually will 'take' if I purchase the ticket... which I don't want to do right now so can't tell for sure what happens.

Fyi the /NNxx has the companion cert coding along with exp date in it... the xx is a coded expiration date of your cert for month/year when it expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.