Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks for the memories...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Thanks for the memories...

I retired last year as a DM. I had thought we would to continue to travel, but my wife (PM) has become seriously ill and has had to quit traveling, as have I to take care of her. I just completed a mileage run to JNB to at least hold on to PM so I can use our 800k SM or so and still make penalty-free changes. On my last trip, I tried to use my remaining GUC's, but only worked on the outbound. Return 16 hours to ATL in coach. Ouch! So I have one remaining GUC expiring in 2 weeks.

It's been a great run. Have been DM most of last 10 years, but I have no illusions. It's a business. Travel is not much fun anymore anyway, and the "loyalty" rewards have reached diminishing returns (see expiring GUC). So good luck to all you road warriors still fighting the bean counters.

I think I know the answer, and yes, I do read the fine print, so don't quote it to me. But have any of you had any luck with getting a GUC reissued/extended for compassionate reasons?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:11 pm

Smyrnaflyer, sorry to hear about your wife's illness. Unfortunately I don't have any information about GUC expiration extensions.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Have been DM most of last 10 years,
But DM has only been around 5 yrs.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
But DM has only been around 5 yrs.
Sorry, I have been in the highest published level for 10 years. I've been in the DAL FF program since its inception, and I was in the DM inaugural class. But I think it's been longer than 5 years! Love FT Forum; even irrelevant details are held up for scrutiny!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
no way to extend. Sorry.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Sorry to hear about your wife. All the best to you in retirement!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by thoiboi
no way to extend. Sorry.
It never hurts to ask.

Several years ago, I carelessly allowed a TCV to expire. I found that out on the day it was expired, and it was no longer useable.

I do not remember if I called or e-mailed, but to my very pleasant surprise DL issued a new TCV that was good for a year.

It was entirely my fault and I had no expectation that it could happen, but you never know unless you ask.

Smyrnaflyer, so sorry to hear about your wife. Best wishes.

David
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I'm not far behind you, as far the relinquishment of being DM goes. Travel is definitely not what it once was and with all the devaluations and with loyalty being thrown out the window, traveling will soon be a thing of the past unless absolutely necessary. Hey, all good things come to an end! Good luck and best to your wife.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I haven't used a GUC yet myself, but I thought I remembered reading some success stories of applying a GUC to travel that occurs after expiration so long as there was immediate availability at booking (so the GUC is used before it expires). If this isn't policy, your odds of getting an exception are better if the GUC could be used immediately on a specific flight rather than an expiration extension.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
So sorry to hear of your wife's illness. I also have 2 GUCs unused this year expiring on 1/4. I could use them on some regional I guess... Thinking hard about whether I will choose them next year or not.

I did inquire on the DM line if I could find a flight in Feb or Mar with availability and apply them and they said I had to USE them before the expiration.

Best wishes to you and your wife!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It never hurts to ask.

Several years ago, I carelessly allowed a TCV to expire. I found that out on the day it was expired, and it was no longer useable.

I do not remember if I called or e-mailed, but to my very pleasant surprise DL issued a new TCV that was good for a year.

It was entirely my fault and I had no expectation that it could happen, but you never know unless you ask.

Smyrnaflyer, so sorry to hear about your wife. Best wishes.

David

Sorry, I should have clarified: "No way to extend per the fine print, but YMMV like all rules!"

Like you said, it never hurts to ask, worst they can say is no right?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
no way to extend. Sorry.
...well not completely accurate

But some things are best kept quite. ^
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I haven't used a GUC yet myself, but I thought I remembered reading some success stories of applying a GUC to travel that occurs after expiration so long as there was immediate availability at booking (so the GUC is used before it expires). If this isn't policy, your odds of getting an exception are better if the GUC could be used immediately on a specific flight rather than an expiration extension.
OP do this!!!.

find a destination or few you want you want to use and then check for OP class by calling in,
if they have it they can immediately upgrade you even if cert expired on day of travel.

Hope all will be well soon and you guys BOTH!! can do a RTW Biz trip with the 800k with a few 62.5k one segment in one, one-way itin that will then probably do not cost you European originate fee as well

JFK-AMS-HKG-SEA?

one should book soon due to the devaluation of dynamic pricing soon though
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
I retired last year as a DM. I had thought we would to continue to travel, but my wife (PM) has become seriously ill and has had to quit traveling, as have I to take care of her. I just completed a mileage run to JNB to at least hold on to PM so I can use our 800k SM or so and still make penalty-free changes. On my last trip, I tried to use my remaining GUC's, but only worked on the outbound. Return 16 hours to ATL in coach. Ouch! So I have one remaining GUC expiring in 2 weeks.

It's been a great run. Have been DM most of last 10 years, but I have no illusions. It's a business. Travel is not much fun anymore anyway, and the "loyalty" rewards have reached diminishing returns (see expiring GUC). So good luck to all you road warriors still fighting the bean counters.

I think I know the answer, and yes, I do read the fine print, so don't quote it to me. But have any of you had any luck with getting a GUC reissued/extended for compassionate reasons?
I don't know the answer to your question, but wanted to say best wishes to you & your wife.

Sorry, I should have clarified: "No way to extend per the fine print, but YMMV like all rules!"

Like you said, it never hurts to ask, worst they can say is no right?
Agree. Ask. Best case they extend it. Worst case they don't.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Best wishes to you and your wife. I can only imagine the shock to the system of stopping traveling. Add to that the reason you are stoping and wow. Good luck and Gods speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.