Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I know this a 1st world problem but Ugh... Equipment change, no lay flat... :(

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry

I'm on flight DL424 JFK-LAX "DeltaOne". I had specifically booked this flight so that I could sleep but they subbed-out the "767-300 Winglets" 1-2-1 config for the OLD-OLD 767-300 2-2-2 config no lay flat.

I know this a 1st world problem, I wanted lay flat seats.

What is the likelihood of getting anything out of a Red Coat when I land? (not holding my breath, I'm getting from point A to point B).

Thanks,

Steve

PS, two more flight segments 'til Gold for 2016

Last edited by backdoc; Nov 1, 2015 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When you noticed the aircraft change on the seat map, why didn't you try to SDC?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling with spouse who has a meeting in Malibu, can't be late.

If I were traveling alone I would have. This old bird is a POS.

The fancy headsets are even the wrong connector!

Steve

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When you noticed the aircraft change on the seat map, why didn't you try to SDC?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
First-congrats on an appropriate, none-entitled nor narcissistic post-You are absolutely entitled to lie-flat on this route and you deserve it. If you PAID for business a refund and/or mileage compensation is likely due, if it was an upgrade I would expect at least to get my instrument back or mileage compensation.

In any regard I wish you luck-DL doesn't care all that much sadly, just make sure they know what they have to "throw" at it to make it go away.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

I worded it carefully.. :)

Yes, I paid for it, no upgrade. On the original seat map there was only 1 seat available in the front. After the equipment change there were A LOT available. Strangely enough there is only one seat empty in the forward cabin. I doubt that this many people chose to upgrade with cash at the gate esp on this tin can.

My guess is that they oversold it and swapped equipment. On this trip I only book DeltaOne so I'll be even more vigilant in the future, Shena Be Gone!

So what would you ask for? Flight coupon, miles (worthless....)?

Steve

Originally Posted by DLATL777
First-congrats on an appropriate, none-entitled nor narcissistic post-You are absolutely entitled to lie-flat on this route and you deserve it. If you PAID for business a refund and/or mileage compensation is likely due, if it was an upgrade I would expect at least to get my instrument back or mileage compensation.

In any regard I wish you luck-DL doesn't care all that much sadly, just make sure they know what they have to "throw" at it to make it go away.

Last edited by backdoc; Nov 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

Congratulations! Delta got to swap out your D1 seat for the absolute worst F seat in commercial aviation history and there's not much you can do about it. Pitiful move on Delta's part, just pitiful.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Boo!

I know, but I'd like a few more minutes to whine about it.

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Congratulations! Delta got to swap out your D1 seat for the absolute worst F seat in commercial aviation history and there's not much you can do about it. Pitiful move on Delta's part, just pitiful.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by backdoc
I know, but I'd like a few more minutes to whine about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krlcomm

Take as long as you like, I'm 100% on your side on this one! Absolute 100% b.s. move on DL's part. That 767-300 is a giant POS in F... You were royally screwed.

Last edited by krlcomm; Nov 1, 2015 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:22 am

Deleted

Last edited by krlcomm; Nov 1, 2015 at 11:13 am Reason: deleted duplicate post
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Yes, I pad for it, no upgrade. ...

I'd start with asking for e-credit for the difference between D1 and whatever the lowest G/A/P fare typically is on the route, however many days in advance you booked (this will likely be on a connection, but the point is that you wanted to fly up front for as little cash outlay as possible) ... looking for tomorrow, D1 is $2216 and there's one flight over SLC for $1171; next Mon D1 is $1921 and the lowest one-stop is $1014; two weeks out $1821 vs $867 ... so ~$1000 is probably the ballpark answer
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

It was LAX-JFK, JFK-LAX both in D1

No connections.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'd start with asking for e-credit for the difference between D1 and whatever the lowest G/A/P fare typically is on the route, however many days in advance you booked (this will likely be on a connection, but the point is that you wanted to fly up front for as little cash outlay as possible) ... looking for tomorrow, D1 is $2216 and there's one flight over SLC for $1171; next Mon D1 is $1921 and the lowest one-stop is $1014; two weeks out $1821 vs $867 ... so ~$1000 is probably the ballpark answer
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on when the OP purchased tickets, the difference could have been more or less. Also, one could argue that there's value in taking a nonstop over a connection, so I think taking the fare difference as you suggest overstates what would be fair.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Should I wait and write a letter or corral a Red Coat when deplaning?

I'm not good at complaining in person, but I'm pretty good on paper.

I bought the ticket 9/11/15 for $1196.20 USD RT (yes I'm a good bargain hunter)

DELTA 1908
SEAT 02A
DELTA 424
SEAT 01A

What would be the best strategy?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on when the OP purchased tickets, the difference could have been more or less. Also, one could argue that there's value in taking a nonstop over a connection, so I think taking the fare difference as you suggest overstates what would be fair.

Last edited by backdoc; Nov 1, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP, you are absolutely due something for this. DL advertises this as a premium product. IMO DL really dropped by the ball here by not being up front and being proactive about handling this situation with the D1 passengers. Even if this was a last minute equipment sub (and I'm guessing it was), DL should have offered to the passengers in the D1 cabin either 1) a significant refund or voucher/compensation or 2) told them what flights were available later in the day with open D1 seats, either JFK-LAX or via SFO and then connecting down to LAX, while still offering compensation for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I'd be demanding the difference between what I paid and the lowest economy fare of the day I bought the ticket, going with the argument "Had I known the day of the flight you were going to sub in equipment with the worst FC product in the DL fleet, I would have bought an economy ticket".

Yes, I pad for it, no upgrade. On the original seat map there was only 1 seat available in the front. After the equipment change there were A LOT available. Strangely enough there is only one seat empty in the forward cabin. I doubt that this many people chose to upgrade with cash at the gate esp on this tin can.

My guess is that they oversold it and swapped equipment. On this trip I only book DeltaOne so I'll be even more vigilant in the future, Shena Be Gone!

Steve
Probably wasn't subbed due to an oversell. It was probably a last minute equipment sub as the 767 with D1 went mechanical and DL subbed in the "domestic" 767 last minute. I get that DL wanted the flight to go on time. But where I fault DL is for not being proactive with the D1 passengers who certainly did not get what they paid for.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You're not going to find a non-stop fare on JFK-LAX that isn't Delta One priced, so I would start by looking at other similar length flights. You bought the ticket about two months out; right now JFK-SAN, a route only 29 miles shorter than JFK-LAX, is showing a one-way first class fare of $547.10 for many dates in January. Those flights are on a 737, so they're not D1. Since you paid $1196.20 r/t, that's $598.10 each way. So you could argue for a refund of $51.

Sorry, man. I thought this was going to work out much better in your favor. I tried other west coast cities from JFK and they weren't any better. I'd still ask for more than $50; I'd probably start by asking for $200, but as a voucher and not a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.