Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

If the first level you hit is diamond do you still get the platinum benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - DM, Ritz PM, Hertz President's Club, National Executive Elite

In the past I have always rolled over enough miles to make platinum quickly the following year and then by mid year hit Diamond. As a result I am able to claim 4 RUC's for my platinum benefit and then when I hit diamond claim my diamond benefits.

This year I will have nearly 300,000 MQMs by year's end. I will roll over 175,000 and I will get the MQD waiver on my credit card long before I hit platinum level MQD's. Therefore I will go straight to diamond the moment I hit my CC spend. If I go straight to Diamond, do I not get the benefits of Platinum (the additional 4 RUC's I an claim?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You'll get to select both. I had this happen, and got both level selections.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by labjr1
In the past I have always rolled over enough miles to make platinum quickly the following year and then by mid year hit Diamond. As a result I am able to claim 4 RUC's for my platinum benefit and then when I hit diamond claim my diamond benefits.

This year I will have nearly 300,000 MQMs by year's end. I will roll over 175,000 and I will get the MQD waiver on my credit card long before I hit platinum level MQD's. Therefore I will go straight to diamond the moment I hit my CC spend. If I go straight to Diamond, do I not get the benefits of Platinum (the additional 4 RUC's I an claim?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You'll get to select both. I had this happen, and got both level selections.
Same for me as I have tons of MQM banked and is MQD waived due to residency.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by labjr1

FYI - you cannot choose the same benefit twice in one year. And so if you choose the 4 RUCs when you're PM, you will be unable to choose the 8 RUCs or 4 GUCs when you're DM. Food for thought.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by ruckzac
FYI - you cannot choose the same benefit twice in one year. And so if you choose the 4 RUCs when you're PM, you will be unable to choose the 8 RUCs or 4 GUCs when you're DM. Food for thought.
Is that last part right? It's true you can't choose the same DM benefit twice (so you can't take 4 GUC's and then 8 RUC's) but I didn't think that applied to the PM RUC benefit.

My understanding (perhaps incorrect) is that a DM chooses

1 PM benefit
1 DM benefit (no restriction, regardless of PM benefit chosen)
1 DM benefit (no duplicate with the first DM choice including RUC/GUC).
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
Are you sure? AFAIK you can pick four RUCs for the PM choice and then EITHER four GUCs or eight RUCs as one of the DM choices. You cannot make one DM choice the four GUCs and for the other, take eight RUCs. The rule is that the two DM choice benefits must be different, where GUCs and RUCs belong to the same category. AFAIK the PM choice doesn't affect DM availability or vice versa, just as your allowed choices from one year to another are independent.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? AFAIK you can pick four RUCs for the PM choice and then EITHER four GUCs or eight RUCs as one of the DM choices. You cannot make one DM choice the four GUCs and for the other, take eight RUCs. The rule is that the two DM choice benefits must be different, where GUCs and RUCs belong to the same category. AFAIK the PM choice doesn't affect DM availability or vice versa, just as your allowed choices from one year to another are independent.
Yes

This year my CBs were
4 RUC from PM
4 GUC from DM
$200 Gift card from DM
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm not in this position (yet) but posted experiences on FT certainly support that you can choose certs twice, once as PM choice and once as one of your two DM choices.

Also:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...oice_benefits/

Diamond Medallion members may not select the same Choice Benefit twice for their Diamond selection. They may choose the same benefit as their Platinum selection and one of their two Diamond selections.
(bolding mine)
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm not in this position (yet) but posted experiences on FT certainly support that you can choose certs twice, once as PM choice and once as one of your two DM choices.

Also:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...oice_benefits/

(bolding mine)
Thanks for pointing this out – I stand corrected.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Yes

This year my CBs were
4 RUC from PM
4 GUC from DM
$200 Gift card from DM
My "are you sure" question was directed at ruckzac as an attempt to tactfully say that he/she was wrong. I am not unsure at all on this point unless there has been some very recent change.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a similar, but not exactly the same question, and maybe this one is elementary and answered elsewhere, but it is a point that I need clarified. I have already qualified for Platinum for 2016, and will qualify for Diamond for 2016 by the end of this year. Do I need to go ahead and select my Platinum choice benefits for the the 2016 qualification, or will I be able to select both a Platinum benefit and the Diamond Choice Benefits later on in 2016?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:43 am

There's no rush to select them now, but your choices will expire at the end of the program year to which they apply, which should be January 31, 2017 to make both PM and DM choices.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
There's no rush to select them now, but your choices will expire at the end of the program year to which they apply, which should be January 31, 2017 to make both PM and DM choices.
Plus you can make them n any order you choose.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Awesome, thanks for the clarification!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Just trying to be 100% clear since I am in the same situation as the person you are replying to. Do I have this right?

I earn PM in 2015 for 2016 status->I can choose a PM benefit any time before January 31, 2017.

Later, I earn DM in 2015 for 2016->I can choose two DM benefits, not necessarily at the same time, any time before January 31, 2017.

If I choose RUC or GUC at any step, they are good for 12 months from when I choose them. So for miles flown in 2015 (2016 status) I could end up with certs good through January of 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.