Wiki Posts
Search

Why does Delta have your loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Why does Delta have your loyalty?

The thread about "second worst FF program" had me thinking about my reasons for being "loyal" to Delta. The specifics of the FF program are not very high on my list, and I'm sure everyone has their own specific reasons why Delta is their choice.

Here's my rationale for being Delta-loyal:

DEN is my "home airport" and my most common route is DEN -> MSP. When I started doing this trip weekly for work, I evaluated United and Delta. United was flying small regional jets on that route while Delta used mainline. I'm 6'2" with broad shoulders, so regional jets are pure torture.

I could've also flown Frontier or Southwest, but I hate a la carte and I hate open seating.

I suppose if United had a better hard product flying my regular route, I'd probably consider them, since I'd have many more direct flight options from DEN.

So...that's my reason. What's yours?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:48 am

when ATL is your home airport
can't choose at all ......
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:50 am

-Delta serves the most destinations out of NYC than any other airline.
-My most common route is LGA<-->ORD and the Delta shuttle is extremely convenient. I can leave my apartment 45 minutes before a flight and still arrive with time to spare.
-Delta's customer service is actually helpful and occassionally bends the rules for me as a GM (maybe AA/UA will do the same, i dont know)
-I am at about 50% this year with upgrades and 100% in EC. Certainly the novelty wears off after a while but its nice to have a little extra comfort.

I agree that i'd be earning more miles and have an easier time redeeming miles on AA but at the end of the day, convenience, reliability and comfort trump mileage earned

Edited to add: Yes, AA, UA and JetBlue have a pretty large NYC presence. That said, it's an hour to Newark for UA and an 45-60 minutes to JFK for B6. The AA terminal in LGA is awful while Delta at LGA is lovely.

Last edited by injera; Oct 20, 2015 at 9:56 am Reason: .
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hub captive and refugee from PMNW.

DL seems to work for me with good operations and decent IROPs handling. I've been doing fine so far with the FF program, upgrades, G A P fares, SWUs and GUCs, etc. but I realize that I'm paying high fares out of MSP for the convenience of nonstops.

Now if DL just would give MSP some decent aircraft and stop ripping out FC/BE/D1 seats.....and undo the redo of the F/G SC to bring back the cubicles, plus give me some cheese and cracker options consistently.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
when ATL is your home airport
can't choose at all ......
^ this
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hub captive and refugee from PMNW.

DL seems to work for me with good operations and decent IROPs handling. I've been doing fine so far with the FF program, upgrades, G A P fares, SWUs and GUCs, etc. but I realize that I'm paying high fares out of MSP for the convenience of nonstops.

Now if DL just would give MSP some decent aircraft and stop ripping out FC/BE/D1 seats.....and undo the redo of the F/G SC to bring back the cubicles, plus give me some cheese and cracker options consistently.
+1. Exactly
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
DL (the old CO and NW) gets me home and that is the most important thing to me. I live in the RDU area and I was CP with US for many years. There were too many times that US would get as far as CLT/DCA and tell me that was the best they could do. US GAs and TAs would not even try to move me to another airline to get me home. That is why I left them and now dread every time I now board an AA flight (even as a Plat). After watching what UA did to CO, I bet my SM account that the new AA will operate closer to the old US. Every airline has their problems, but US constantly has them.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Profitable therefore stable airline.
Great ontime performance.
Great IROPS handling.
Great frontline staff.

I don't see the logic in picking an airline on its Frequent Flyer program.
Each to their own I suppose.
Since early 2010 I don't recall a bad experience with them.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
DL gets me to work and home on-time with my bags.

Oh, and I hate AA and can barely stand UA.

No complaints, except reduced upgrades at the window.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
On time performance.

Attitudes of staff, across the board (I came from UA)

If I have to connect, SLC MSP DTW all seem better than ORD,DFW, DEN.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:27 am

1. Rock solid completion and on-time performance.
2. Best hard product in TATL J with good prices and routings for my destinations.
3. Airport staff at DTW move mountains for me when I show up T-37 minutes before my INTL flight with no boarding pass and bag I want to check -- and the bag always makes it!
4. TATL J Service is consistently decent, and sometimes great. Food is pretty solid.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
1. Rock solid completion and on-time performance.
2. Best hard product in TATL J with good prices and routings for my destinations.
3. Airport staff at DTW move mountains for me when I show up T-37 minutes before my INTL flight with no boarding pass and bag I want to check -- and the bag always makes it!
4. TATL J Service is consistently decent, and sometimes great. Food is pretty solid.
Okay there is no absolutely no way I can agree with this. Even AAs 77W J product is better-seriously comparing that to 767 thats so narrow its like a coffin?

And Im assuming you are only comparing to US legacies, SQ/EK/NZ/VS are vastly superior hard products that fly TATL J.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
AMEX MQMs. It's what keeps this low-value flyer at diamond.

I also find the entire Delta experience the best of the US3, especially since I buy the cheapest tickets possible. I love having free booze in Comfort plus. I'm at about 90% on upgrades for the year. I make use of my amex companion certificates. I know the endless arguments about being having difficulty redeeming miles, but this year I had four seats in J JFK-LAX-SYD-AKL/PER-BNE-LAX-JFK. I like the offerings out of JFK and LGA. I hate going to EWR as I live in Brooklyn.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
- Home Airport: PDX
- Delta is the only airline at PDX with a direct flights to Asia (NRT) and Europe (AMS)
- Delta flies from PDX to just about every Delta hub. This means that I can more or less get anywhere with no more than 1 transfer.
- Delta is building out a hub at SEA, which is kind of a boon for PDX travelers because in most cases we can fly away from our destination and pad our MQMs by 1000 on each RT.
- Routes to/from PDX and to/from SEA have pretty good complimentary upgrade availability. From what I've gathered, west coast travelers seem to have an easier time clearing upgrades than people traveling on the other side of the country, but of course YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
ATL

That is all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.