Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Suing Delta Connection Partner Republic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

A small squabble in the Delta/Delta Connection family? I would have thought this would have been covered in the Delta forum by now but I looked around and didn't see it.

Delta Sues Regional Partner Republic
Delta Air Lines filed suit against Republic Airways Holdings on Monday for failing to meet its contractual obligations in operating regional flights for the airline.

Shuttle America, a unit of Indianapolis-based Republic, operates flights under the Delta Connection brand and, according to the suit, filed in state court in Atlanta, has been unable to fly the number of flights contracted for....

<SNIP>
Above appeared in FBT, where I serve as Ed.Dir.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
My personal theory is that Delta thinks this is its cheapest way to get rid of more 50 sweaters. I suspect there's something in the contract they want relief from, and that they renewed and are now surfing to get the whole contract invalidated. Just a hunch.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
At this point, as this article indicates, Republic simply isn't flying the flights Delta contracted for. It's costing Delta a lot of money.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Which routes does Republic run for Delta? I've never been on a Republic-operated Delta flight before, and didn't know that DL contracted with them.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by WWads
Which routes does Republic run for Delta? I've never been on a Republic-operated Delta flight before, and didn't know that DL contracted with them.
Republic is the parent company of Shuttle America, which runs all sorts of flights, including some northeast shuttle flights. I flew them MSP-BNA last year, I think. Shuttle America is also home to the E-145s that fly as Delta Connection, which used to be flown by Chatauqua, another Republic airline that it folded into Shuttle America.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Well, that explains why my DAY-DTW flight in Nov, that had just changed to Shuttle America in August, changed to SkyWest last weekend.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Well, that explains why my DAY-DTW flight in Nov, that had just changed to Shuttle America in August, changed to SkyWest last weekend.
I just recv'd schedule change notifications, one to SkyWest and another to ExpressJet. Same exact flight times down to the minute, just not operated by Shuttle America/Republic anymore.

SDF
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I thought I read somewhere that DL extended Shuttle America's contract to operate the ERJs a while ago?

But, from what I can tell, Republic is a hot mess. It seems to have been that way since the F9 purchase and even though they sold F9, it still seems like a hot mess.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
...50 sweaters...
Freudian slip?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Howste
Freudian slip?
A hot mess no longer needs as many sweaters
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Republic operated flights for AA/US Air have been terrible. US Air gate agents have started openly blasting Republic for the problems Republic is creating with lengthy delays and frequent cancellations.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Howste
Freudian slip?
^
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have a booking for a SkyWest CRJ-900 on a route that I didn't think was served by SkyWest (MSP-MDW).
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've got a couple of flights in November that I booked on S5 (Shuttle America) that are still indicated as being operated by S5. We'll see if that changes.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL GM

Republic has been hit by a pilot shortage harder than the other regionals since the labor contract has been in negotiations for 7+ years. They were just in mediation and finally are sending a contract to their pilots. Voting ends on October 27 and ratification is likely.

However the losses that republic has endured in the pilot ranks for the last year are causing a higher percentage of cancellations.

The contract has been described as the best in the regional industry (or one of best) but whether the company can bounce back quickly and get some new hire classes in and trained is yet to be determined.

I've had great experience on RP and S5 and hope they can bounce back. The lawsuit is for a million or so, so not a huge suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.