Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum Choice Benefit Selection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG

Debating between choosing the 4 RUC's or the 20,000 bonus SkyMiles as my Platinum "Choice Benefit Selection" for this year. I'd have thought the RUC's are a no-brainer in terms of value, but ThePointsGuy recommends going with the 20k SkyMiles.

Curious what the board thinks? I'm NYC-based so that might make using the RUC's a bit more difficult. Then again, it also makes booking miles itineraries more challenging as well.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
I've always taken the RUC's and previously SWU's. I tend to use them on leisure trips to the caribbean. Last year I used them for a ski trip DCA-JAC. I've always had pretty good luck with them.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I think the RUC is more worthwhile - assuming that you can and do use them for meaningful trips. If you have flexibility in your travel and you will take some trips with significant distance (Hawaii. Puerto Rico etc) then the RUC is far more useful. Call Delta, ask when upgrade seats are available and then build your trip around those dates. But if you must travel over spring break or Christmas etc when there are not likely to be upgrades available then the miles may be more worthwhile.

Also remember that RUCs expire one year from issuance. So delay issuance as long as possible to get the most use.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, RIP SPG
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Also remember that RUCs expire one year from issuance. So delay issuance as long as possible to get the most use.
Does anyone know how long I can wait before making my selection? I'd guess that I have until the end of this year before I have to choose.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:08 pm
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
This is a no brainer I think. Go with the RUC's.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by DrCordell
Does anyone know how long I can wait before making my selection?
Have you reviewed the terms and conditions?

2015 selections must be made by January 31, 2016.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Does anyone know how long I can wait before making my selection? I'd guess that I have until the end of this year before I have to choose.
You have until the end of January the following year.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Debating between choosing the 4 RUC's or the 20,000 bonus SkyMiles as my Platinum "Choice Benefit Selection" for this year. I'd have thought the RUC's are a no-brainer in terms of value, but ThePointsGuy recommends going with the 20k SkyMiles.

Curious what the board thinks? I'm NYC-based so that might make using the RUC's a bit more difficult. Then again, it also makes booking miles itineraries more challenging as well.
The miles are worth at least $200, maybe a bit more (but with the changes coming, not a lot more).

Do you fly to LAX or SFO? If so, is an upgrade worth (much) over $50? That makes it easy.

If not, are there long flights you take and wouldn't expect to get upgraded on by status, and is upgrading them worth over $50?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I usually get the RUCs and use them on BOS-LAX flights that I wouldn't be upgraded on otherwise. 2611 miles in F for $50 is a good deal from my perspective.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT

it is more valuable now as it allow LAX/SFO-JFK as well
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
As others have said, you have until January of the following year. Right now you're earning 2016 Status. You have until January 2017 to claim your benefit.

I always wait until I find a trip I want to use my certificates on and then I get them. The codes generate fairly quickly and show up in your account.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Don't forget the confirmed RUC Upgrade are also FC SDC available, it treat as award upgrade
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Felixishim
Don't forget the confirmed RUC Upgrade are also FC SDC available, it treat as award upgrade
Yes, that's what the rules state. In practice, it sounds like it is very difficult to find an agent who understands the rules. I've never used an RUC, let alone attempted to SDC on one, so I can only comment from what I've read on this board and not from experience.

FWIW, I haven't selected my 2015 benefit but plan to go with RUCs and use all four for a trip with the wife where companion upgrades would be unlikely.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Yes, that's what the rules state. In practice, it sounds like it is very difficult to find an agent who understands the rules. I've never used an RUC, let alone attempted to SDC on one, so I can only comment from what I've read on this board and not from experience.
That's hard to say; people who have no trouble doing SDC are much less likely to post about it (unless in response to someone who says it doesn't work).

But if you know it's possible, just keep trying and/or ask for a supervisor to check the exact rules.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive

If you fly over 4 hours regularly then RUCs can have great value especially now that NYC transcons are included. As a DM who does not travel international for work I actually will take 12 RUCs this year. Already used 5 BOS-LAX and JFK-LAX this year .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.