Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stickers in OH Bins: Reserved for First Class / Comfort+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stickers in OH Bins: Reserved for First Class / Comfort+

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Smile

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Mo, but I wanted to wait to see the passengers reaction but I was too impatient to,wait.

On a flight from BKK-NRT my overhead bin was full in BE. There were only 2 passengers in front of us. I asked them if it was their stuff but they answered in German and shook their heads. I pulled it down and asked the FA if she could gate check it as I had brought too much carry-on. The non-English speaking passengers could suddenly speak perfect English and found a place to put their carry-on over their head and under the seat in front of them.
I'm confused. When you say two passengers in front of you, do you mean sitting in front of you or were simply boarding in front of you. If sitting in front of you, they were D1 passengers also, and entitled to use the OH space. Just because it's above your seat doesn't mean you get to remove their items for yours. Sorry, but you were the one wrong if that's the case. While DL is trying to limit OH space above D1/First class to those passengers it doesn't mean you're promised the space abover your seat or any OH space at all.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:49 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused. When you say two passengers in front of you, do you mean sitting in front of you or were simply boarding in front of you. If sitting in front of you, they were D1 passengers also, and entitled to use the OH space. Just because it's above your seat doesn't mean you get to remove their items for yours. Sorry, but you were the one wrong if that's the case. While DL is trying to limit OH space above D1/First class to those passengers it doesn't mean you're promised the space abover your seat or any OH space at all.
Sitting in front of me - and they filled their bin. 2 people with 7 pieces of carry-on and nothing under their seat. There were no center seats and only a bin on over the seats. It The center was a wall, I do't remember what it was.

I don't buy the "I'm first and I can take all of the bins for me". On international flights there is usually enough bin space for one bin per pair of seats and now on D1 with lie flats, one bin per seat.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sitting in front of me - and they filled their bin. 2 people with 7 pieces of carry-on and nothing under their seat. There were no center seats and only a bin on over the seats. It The center was a wall, I do't remember what it was.

I don't buy the "I'm first and I can take all of the bins for me". On international flights there is usually enough bin space for one bin per pair of seats and now on D1 with lie flats, one bin per seat.
While OH is First Come First Served, knowing they had that much baggage in OH makes what you did IMO acceptable. I thought you were simply upset that the OH above you was used and none left, not that it was used because the 2 passengers had enough bags for 4 people.

Also are you sure this was DL? I don't know of a plane that has no center seats and a wall down the center.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
C+ limited to people with C+

Earlier this month flew LAX-MCO in C+. There were only 7 people with C+ seats out of the 26 available. FA did not allow other people to drop their luggage in the C+ bin or to sit in the C+ seats.

Head FA made announcement that people could move into empty seats as long as it was not in the C+ seats (plane was surprising not crowded at all).
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:04 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by sethb
News flashier: The message you replied to was about someone seated back in Y putting a bag overhead in F. Overhead compartments are not meant to be that widely shared, that's why they have signs saying who gets to use them (in F, D1, and C+).
I was replying to the part where they talked about putting carry on only above their own seat. Reading comprehension???
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Reserving FC and C+ bin space for passengers seated in those sections seems IME to depend on the FAs working the flight. Occasionally they do, but most of the time they don't. Much like YBYL and FEBO you can't count on the policy being consistently followed one way or the other, so waiting to board just isn't a good idea if you need OHB space.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Also legally speaking, it's a posted placard. Therefore legally they have the weight of law and thus FAs and all passengers must observe them.
Yeah and you're supposed to wait until your boarding zone is called to approach the gate. Good luck with the enforcement
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fti
I was replying to the part where they talked about putting carry on only above their own seat. Reading comprehension???
You quoted the entire message, #3 in this thread, which was mainly about people in lower boarding groups.

If you want to reply to only a small part of a message, you should edit out the rest.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by sethb
I would have taken her bag down and asked to have it checked.
----------------------

But you would have to provide a name and destination. How could you know if that bag was going only to the destination of that aircraft or was the owner connecting to another flight ? I totally agree that other passengers should not put their bags in other than the bin over THEIR ASSIGNED SEAT but you can see how this is a problem for the flight attendant to get involved. I despise this behavior even if the passenger is only a few rows back - they are obviously taking up space that does not belong to them.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------------------

But you would have to provide a name and destination. How could you know if that bag was going only to the destination of that aircraft or was the owner connecting to another flight ? I totally agree that other passengers should not put their bags in other than the bin over THEIR ASSIGNED SEAT but you can see how this is a problem for the flight attendant to get involved. I despise this behavior even if the passenger is only a few rows back - they are obviously taking up space that does not belong to them.
Sometimes people are forced to use bin space that isn't real close to their own seats because crew members have taken all of the space near their seats.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------------------

For gate checked they don't need any of that.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:20 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes people are forced to use bin space that isn't real close to their own seats because crew members have taken all of the space near their seats.
But sitting in 46C doesn't justify putting their stuff over 4C.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:26 am

While OH is First Come First Served, knowing they had that much baggage in OH makes what you did IMO acceptable. I thought you were simply upset that the OH above you was used and none left, not that it was used because the 2 passengers had enough bags for 4 people.

Also are you sure this was DL? I don't know of a plane that has no center seats and a wall down the center.
It was NW.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Especially when they haven't gone anywhere near 46C yet to see if the space is still available.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Of course not.

However, I wish crew would put their bags over 46C and not take prime D1/FC bins, especially when the crew member is a FA working in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.