Wiki Posts
Search

$1,196 vs. $1,246 - B6 V. DL - NYC-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
$1,196 vs. $1,246 - B6 V. DL - NYC-SFO

Trying to decide on B6 Vs. Delta on an upcoming trip around the holidays to SFO (from NYC). Have the room in the budget on this trip to splurge on Business/Delta 1 or Jet Blue's new Mint product and (unfortunately?) they are both competing very closely on price (with B6 slightly lower at $1,196).

I've been very happy on both airlines, mainly flying B6 for the occasional leisure trip on the east coast and DL for company travel to DFW. What are you guys thinking?

I give a slight edge to Delta for Operations flexibility (although B6 has hubs in both cities) and I also give Delta an edge on timing - more flights to choose from. I believe I've also heard DL has a nice lounge at JFK (as opposed to B6 which I'm pretty sure has no lounges in T5).
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Are you chasing status? The 150% MQM as calendar year end approaches on DL might come in handy.

If solo, you can get one of the solo "suites" on B6. Though I think the 76W is going on a few JFK-SFO flights this winter, so you could still snag a solo seat there depending on flight. The 757s are nicely refurbished, but if you're solo, you'll either be stuck bothering someone each time you get up or being bothered (I personally don't mind getting up for someone, but definitely prefer the isolation of the 76W).

You would have lounge access on both ends of your trip on DL, including the new SFO club. Could come in handy that time of year if any weather hits NYC.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
Trying to decide on B6 Vs. Delta on an upcoming trip around the holidays to SFO (from NYC). Have the room in the budget on this trip to splurge on Business/Delta 1 or Jet Blue's new Mint product and (unfortunately?) they are both competing very closely on price (with B6 slightly lower at $1,196).

I've been very happy on both airlines, mainly flying B6 for the occasional leisure trip on the east coast and DL for company travel to DFW. What are you guys thinking?

I give a slight edge to Delta for Operations flexibility (although B6 has hubs in both cities) and I also give Delta an edge on timing - more flights to choose from. I believe I've also heard DL has a nice lounge at JFK (as opposed to B6 which I'm pretty sure has no lounges in T5).
I would go with DL. Better food, better seats, better service, etc. One thing I'd check is if you could save by connecting to the Delta Shuttle flights from LAX TO SFO, instead of going direct to SFO. It could save money and you could end up on a 767 for the transcon instead of 757.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Flew both this summer (both times JFK - SFO).

In terms of head to head.

Seat: B6 won for me because I was traveling alone and got a throne seat. In addition my D1 footrest on the DL flight was fairly worn down and frankly uncomfortable during the flight.

Food: Tie. DL had a strong food offering (I had lamb) but B6 certainly held its own. I enjoyed the unique approach that B6 took and found the food to be equally as good as DL. B6 did have slightly better wines and a nice welcome drink but DL has Woodford so a draw on beverages too.

Service: B6 won for me. The FAs on B6 were friendly and incredibly excited about working Mint. My guess is that most of them are working in a true "F" cabin for the first time and therefore aren't as jaded or worn out as those working F/D1 on a legacy carrier.

Lounge: DL no contest since B6 doesn't have one anywhere. In addition at the time (not sure if this is still occurring), I was offered a free 4 plate tapas meal along with a paired wine in the JFK SC before departure.

Miles: DL again no contest. Took advantage of the fact that AS still offers full mileage + COS bonus for paid D1/J/F and just put my D1 flight there.

IFE: DL just slightly. Delta Studio has a ton of options but B6 has DirecTV. However B6 only plays movies on loop instead of on-demand.

Overall: Depends on your goals. I thought B6 was slightly better due to the better service and better seat and a more unique approach to food and if you don't care about miles/status and can live without lounge access, B6 is the winner (at least with a throne seat).

However DL wasn't far behind and if you are after the full experience (status/miles and lounge access), DL (with the option for AS mileage credit) and the complimentary lounge access on either end is the winner.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL is the winner, if you are trying to gain (or maintain) status with a carrier that flies Worldwide. If not take the Mint flt.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Duke787
Lounge: DL no contest since B6 doesn't have one anywhere.
Sort of, but there is a (paid) lounge option at JFK and also the VX ClubHouse at LAX.

IFE: DL just slightly. Delta Studio has a ton of options but B6 has DirecTV. However B6 only plays movies on loop instead of on-demand.
B6 also has free satellite wifi (NOT Gogo).

My take on it is that B6 has the (slightly) superior in flight product, but DL has better ground support (departure experience, IROPs handling, even the FFP!). If I need MQM/MQD, I'm more inclined to go with DL, otherwise B6 (especially if I can get a solo seat).

BTW, AA also have very good pricing for TCON J, and IME much much better availability than either B6 or DL.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would go with DL. Better food, better seats, better service, etc. One thing I'd check is if you could save by connecting to the Delta Shuttle flights from LAX TO SFO, instead of going direct to SFO. It could save money and you could end up on a 767 for the transcon instead of 757.
Have you actually flown Mint? There are some good reasons to stay with DL but I would say you are way off on your across the board assessment. The seat? The Mint seat is pretty damn good and the food was surprisingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed my Mint flight. Not earning MQMs with a global carrier is an issue as is the lack of schedule but certainly not the product.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
Sort of, but there is a (paid) lounge option at JFK and also the VX ClubHouse at LAX.

B6 also has free satellite wifi (NOT Gogo).
Good point about the satellite wifi that is a definite benefit to B6.

Lounge-wise, unless I have a really long layover I almost never find paid lounges worth the cost (I think Airspace at JFK is $25 or $35 including a $10 food/beverage credit and OP is flying to SFO so Loft is irrelevant).

At JFK it was cheaper in T5 for me to just buy a beer at the bar next to the lounge for $7.50 and sit there for the 30 minutes pre-flight.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Yea, not really chasing status, have only done 2 RTs this year as the travel schedule at work has died down. Really care about the in flight experience and agree with the assessment about DLs FAs vs. B6 who has newer more enthusiastic attendents in what I've seen.

B6 has the 1 person Suite available and I'm a solo traveler this trip so I think I'll try it out and will be sure to report back my experience.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I like B6 food and their single seat however B6 seat is inferior to DL IMHO even though food on Delta wasnt nothing special. AVOD etc. is equal.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
BTW, AA also have very good pricing for TCON J, and IME much much better availability than either B6 or DL.
And a fairly equivalent product IMO. Recently did a trip to JFK and routed via LAX - outbound on AA, return on DL. Upgraded with miles both ways. Each carrier had their pros and cons but overall was happy enough with both that I would allow price/schedule to dictate my choice over airline loyalty on the route. Had I been flying by myself I was going to position into LAX and try B6 Mint one-way but my wife decided to tag along so I decided I didn't want to fork out the cash for two Mint tickets.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Personally I would fly Delta, and as another poster said, search for flights with the 767-300 rather than the 757. I know that by mid-November these are being flown a couple times a day, and maybe earlier. This way you will have the option of a solo seat (all the window seats are solo) and you will also get the network & customer support benefits of a legacy carrier. If flying during the holidays and there is a weather issue, I would rather be on Delta.

As others pointed out, the only serious drawback with DL is the 2x2 seating on the 757's if you are traveling alone
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If the rumors are true, looks like IRROPS will be difficult for DL on the JFK-LAX/SFO routes.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6494426/

With UA pulling out and AA no longer accepting DL passengers and vice versa and no interline in place with B6 and VX, DL will have to protect on their own connecting flights if they have a cancellation and their non-stops are full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.