Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

stolen or at least missing goods from checked luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM. 1MM

Hello,

Something happened to my last week that has never happened before. I was flying delta metal domestically from NYC-XXX and checked one bag due to some liquids inside that I needed with me at the destination.

I arrived at my hotel and the bag seemed completely untouched by TSA. No TSA flyer that you often see when TSA goes through your bag.

Among the things missing were a few personal items that I won't share details about. Value about $100. And most importantly a BOSE blue tooth portable speaker that I paid $199 for just a few weeks ago.

What is my best option here? complain to delta? or the FAA?

It seems clear to my that an employee or some other person who had access to my luggage lifted things from my bag. I don't expect the full retail value but I expect something more than a few miles thrown my way for good measure.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mridley2
Hello,

Something happened to my last week that has never happened before. I was flying delta metal domestically from NYC-XXX and checked one bag due to some liquids inside that I needed with me at the destination.

I arrived at my hotel and the bag seemed completely untouched by TSA. No TSA flyer that you often see when TSA goes through your bag.

Among the things missing were a few personal items that I won't share details about. Value about $100. And most importantly a BOSE blue tooth portable speaker that I paid $199 for just a few weeks ago.

It seems clear to my that an employee or some other person who had access to my luggage lifted things from my bag. I don't expect the full retail value but I expect something more than a few miles thrown my way for good measure.

Thanks
For domestic ticket you had to report theft within 24 hours of picking up luggage. Since you've past that DL is off the hook for paying for anything that was stolen. Best you'll get at this point is some miles and maybe a credit voucher for future DL flights.

I'd still report so that they can be on the lookout for someone stealing. Just don't want you to think you can claim reimbursement this long after.

If it had been an international ticket you'd have 7 days.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I did not know about the 24 hours or I would have jumped on this right away. I naively assumed I had the usual response time to alert delta to the issue. Lesson learned.

I did send a note to delta to alert them to the situation. I asked for a reasonable voucher as compensation and I hope they honor my request.

happy flying!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
The fine print.

Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These types of items should be carried on — and kept in sight.

The $100 personal items, yes. The $199 electronic equipment, no.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ked.html#value
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM

1. If you have Travel Insurance then claim from travel insurance.
2. Your home insurance should cover such loss of items from your checked bags during travel.

For both, you'll need to file a written report with the Police at the airport.
Then file a claim with your insurance and send in copies of the travel documents as well as police report + receipts if available for stuff stolen/ lost.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dd1612
1. If you have Travel Insurance then claim from travel insurance.
2. Your home insurance should cover such loss of items from your checked bags during travel.

For both, you'll need to file a written report with the Police at the airport.
Then file a claim with your insurance and send in copies of the travel documents as well as police report + receipts if available for stuff stolen/ lost.
Travel insurance would be an option. Homeowners though would likely not be an option. 1)deductible is probably higher then the value of lost items 2)for the few dollars over deductible it will count as a claim, which can be higher rates and or count towards the number or claims you get before they drop you.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Determine the deductible on your homeowners insurance before you go through the time and effort of filing a police report. You may not get enough to make it worth the hassle.

Your credit card may cover the recently purchased speaker.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Your credit card may cover the recently purchased speaker.
+1 Many credit cards cover items stolen or damaged the first few months after purchase.

Most likely baggage handlers. DL contracts out most of them out in order to keep wages low and unions out.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The fine print.

Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage. These types of items should be carried on — and kept in sight.

The $100 personal items, yes. The $199 electronic equipment, no.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ked.html#value
I was on a Delta flight recently when a flight attended standing outside the plane entrance was asking passengers to turn over their carry on due to limited overhead space-I had important papers and jewelry packed in my carry on so i declined explaining that -she wasnt too happy but I knew i would be in major trouble if they were lost.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:41 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Hello,

Just because there was no TSA flyer in your bag, doesn't mean that TSA did not go through your bag and possibly take your missing items.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by carnivaltime
I was on a Delta flight recently when a flight attended standing outside the plane entrance was asking passengers to turn over their carry on due to limited overhead space-I had important papers and jewelry packed in my carry on so i declined explaining that -she wasnt too happy but I knew i would be in major trouble if they were lost.
You should ALWAYS have such valuables in a "bag inside the bag" for just such reason. Pull the little bag out and keep it with you in the worst case.

Next time, the FA/GA might just say no to taking the carryon onboard.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:40 pm

I always assume that they are going to take whatever they want, terrible I know, so any gifts or things of any value go on board with me. I try to avoid ever checking, but when bringing back gifts or items I've purchased for myself, I've been known to take things out of boxes and shove everything in some sort of puzzle-like manner into my carry on. I bought jewelry for my mom in France.. I wore it home and then put it back in the box. I don't trust them at all. Heck, they took Finnish chocolate bars from me once. Guess they needed a snack.

Anyway, hope they throw a something your way, but I really wish someone would work on solving this problem overall.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Circling back.

I received a nice, brief response from delta today. Apologizing for the loss of items and I was issued a travel voucher in the amount I requested.

Thanks delta. That was the reasonable and fair thing to do.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Circling back.

I received a nice, brief response from delta today. Apologizing for the loss of items and I was issued a travel voucher in the amount I requested.

Thanks delta. That was the reasonable and fair thing to do.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:40 am

iPads not covered by delta?

iPads not covered by delta?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.