Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta flight to L.A. diverted to McCarran (LAS) over engine trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

A Delta Air Lines flight from New York City to Los Angeles made an emergency landing at McCarran International Airport Wednesday night after a report of a problem with one engine, according to the Clark County Fire Department and an airport spokesman.

Fire crews were called about 9:20 p.m., and Delta Flight 459 landed safely about 9:35 p.m., Asst. Fire Chief Larry Haydu said.

The flight was originally scheduled to land at LAX at 10:09 p.m., according to the airport's website.
ARTICLE: http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug...-engine-troub/

So what happened? Did the PX get put on another flt?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
ARTICLE: http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug...-engine-troub/

So what happened? Did the PX get put on another flt?
Word on the street is DL gave them a $5 slot voucher and put medallions up at the Eureka on E. Sahara.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Word on the street is DL gave them a $5 slot voucher and put medallions up at the Eureka on E. Sahara.

Perhaps they put them at the Wild Wild West on Tropicana.

Seriously, did DL fly in a jet to get the PX to LAX tonight? It is now Thurs. Does anyone know what DL did? Perhaps charter a few buses and get these people to LAX by 6am?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
FlightAware shows DL459 continued LAS-LAX with a 739, departing shortly after midnight and landing at approx 1am PDT ... so about a 3-hr total delay
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
FlightAware shows DL459 continued LAS-LAX with a 739, departing shortly after midnight and landing at approx 1am PDT ... so about a 3-hr total delay
Think there's a 737 running to SLC in the early am from LAS, they might have taken that.

All my flights on the transcon, including 459, are usually packed. I wonder how they got everyone from a 757 onto a 737.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
FlightAware is great ... the 739 was actually in LAS since ~4pm (came in as 1653 from MSP), operated the "rescue" leg of 459, and deadheaded back to LAS as DL9932 arriving approx 230am ... I'd guess the biggest issue was rounding up a 739 crew at 9pm

per the track log, the 757 was at 36000 for about 3 hours, climbed to 38000 and began a normal descent within 2 minutes; the crew decided to divert about 15 min later (they were ~200 mi northeast of LAS) and had the jet on the ground by 935p PDT
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
What seems to be the problem, just go gamble for a few hours
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thoiboi
What seems to be the problem, just go gamble for a few hours
Or hit the Centurion Lounge. There are worse places to be stuck for a few hours.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Must have been a a fairly serious problem to divert when that close to LAX.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from my long-ago Boeing Flight Test days, I recall that there are a number of failure conditions that require landing at the nearest suitable airport rather than continuing to the destination on one engine
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
from my long-ago Boeing Flight Test days, I recall that there are a number of failure conditions that require landing at the nearest suitable airport rather than continuing to the destination on one engine
3 options here:
ONE - land on I15 scarring the hell out of anyone out there.
TWO - make a permanent addition to the other aircraft hardware stored in the desert.
THREE - make like a space shuttle and glide it in at Edwards.

Best to do like jrj767 noted land suitably to reboot the video flight game.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by DLERT
3 options here:
ONE - land on I15 scarring the hell out of anyone out there.
TWO - make a permanent addition to the other aircraft hardware stored in the desert.
THREE - make like a space shuttle and glide it in at Edwards.

Best to do like jrj767 noted land suitably to reboot the video flight game.
I dunno, I've landed on the lakebed runway at Edwards, and it's a pretty incredible experience. That was in a T-38, but if a Shuttle can land there a 757 can. The lakebed clay has the added advantage of being a natural fire retardant. By the way, land-sailing on one of the other dry lakebeds nearby was an experience I recommend to anyone.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:20 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Landing at the nearest suitable airport is standard for any engine failure/shutdown on the 757/767.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.