Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding "Sky Priority Platinum"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold

Today at PHX, the GA--who had quite the shtick going trying to convince everyone to check their bags before boarding--explained the boarding order of our flight to ATL:

"Extra time"
Kids under two and car seats and strollers
Premium, being First Class and Diamond Medallion

and then he explained that because there were fifty passengers on this flight with Sky Priority on their boarding passes, that he would be calling the Sky Priority boarders in order of their elite status: Sky Platinum, Sky Gold, etc.

I had bought up this trip, so I wasn't there to see how that worked out. But boarding didn't seem any faster, nor the peeps any happier as they were filing on.

Has anyone else seen Delta boarding Sky by elite status?

Fly safely,
waywardflf

Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some GAs take the initiative to do this for particularly elite heavy flights. It's been happening (although rarely) for at least several years.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: dl dm, *g
Wait, you're not a Sky Platinum? Back of the sardine tin with the rest of the kettles with you.

But in all seriousness, it sounds like the GA misspoke. Can't blame them -- must get old saying the same thing over and over again.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE

While rare - like MSP said - I've seen some elite heavy routes board this way. Early morning SEA-ATL about 6 months ago. Then also experienced it ATL-somewhere I can't remember over a year ago.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I heard a first PHX-ATL this summer.

GA said, "if you are in Business Class, or if you are currently a Diamond Medallion, please raise your hand high in the air." Then she said, "if your hand is not in the air, please move away from the boarding door and let these people on the airplane. If you are blocking them, please move aside and let them through."

The funniest part was, as we were boarding F, watching people try to keep their hands in the air while pulling/carrying bags.

The only thing it actually made it helpful for was knowing who to say "excuse me" to as I was trying to make my way past them.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by waywardflf
Today at PHX, the GA--who had quite the shtick going trying to convince everyone to check their bags before boarding--explained the boarding order of our flight to ATL:

"Extra time"

and then he explained that because there were fifty passengers on this flight with Sky Priority on their boarding passes, that he would be calling the Sky Priority boarders in order of their elite status: Sky Platinum, Sky Gold, etc.

I had bought up this trip, so I wasn't there to see how that worked out. But boarding didn't seem any faster, nor the peeps any happier as they were filing on.

Fly safely,
waywardflf

Great initiative by the gate agent i have thought they should be doing it this way for awhile especially the 9 am weekday flight to anywhere out of atl .....
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
While rare - like MSP said - I've seen some elite heavy routes board this way. Early morning SEA-ATL about 6 months ago. Then also experienced it ATL-somewhere I can't remember over a year ago.
Agreed - rare but has happened when > 50% of the plane is medallion.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I see it most on the MSP-LGA and vv flights at key business times. However, my own travel doesn't often follow the consulting timetable so I probably don't experience the super elite heavy flights as much as many folks here do.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
Originally Posted by waywardflf

"Extra time"

Fly safely,
waywardflf

I would not be happy. If I paid for C+ and SKY boarding, why should I have to wait within the SKY boarding zone for others to board first just because there are a lot of people in SKY? At best, I would send in a complaint via the website if a GA stopped me from boarding during this theoretical SKY Platinum zone.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It's not going to go any faster - 50 passengers in the Sky zone will take just as long to board no matter the order in which they go. Platinums were probably thrilled and EC pax were probably pissed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.