Wiki Posts
Search

Reason for price spike? LAX - TYO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Reason for price spike? LAX - TYO

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've hunted around and didn't see anything.

I've been eyeing airfare for LAX-HND/NRT for April 2016 (and all dates up until then) for about 5 months now, and for some reason, right after December 6th 2015 the prices literally double within a day and don't drop at all. Dec 6th departure $749 rt, Dec 7th departure $1500+, and the rates don't drop at all after that.

I realize that booking now for April 2016 may result in higher pricing, but I find it odd that, for months now, when I price all other dates up until then, the same enormous price spike happens in early December without any adjustment in the following months.

Is there some change Delta is making that I'm not aware of that's causing this, or am I just worrying over nothing? Thanks so much in advance!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Fares may be high but there's plenty of low level award tickets out there for april '16, both coach and J.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Perhaps the schedule is going to be changed and they don't want flights too heavily booked in case they are switching to smaller aircraft. Or maybe they are trying a pricing experiment. Or perhaps a coding error by RM has not yet been corrected. Or perhaps it is a new plan to hedge against possible long term fuel price surges. There are lots of possibilities.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: dl dm, *g
They canned there SEA-HND route, so perhaps this was their goal? Maybe wait it out and see if it gets lower.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM
Excellent, thanks so much for your responses! I stalk that fare pretty reliably, as I tend to go once a year, and that enormous price shift definitely shocked me, haha.

Ben and Jerry - I appreciate the heads up! I'll be using my miles to pay for my SO's ticket and buying mine to try and gain more MQM, since I'm still a lowly Silver Medallion
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:31 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
December fares are traditionally higher to Japan. But perhaps DL is guessing that AA isn't going to launch LAX-HND.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
DL's fare is higher now because all of the US3 are all offering that higher rate now for April 2016. For those not wed to flying on US3 metal, it is quite easy to get much lower rates non-stop on SQ or connecting on carriers such as OZ which is offering fares as low as $698RT.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 12:36 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Bumping this thread.

Thinking of traveling to TYO in December (week of 12/10). Any suggestions on when to start looking in earnest? Fares are quite high now (as would be expected).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.