Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Fluctuations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum

Been looking to book an award ticket and watching the fluctuations over the last several days...

Tuesday - 30,000 miles
Wednesday Morning- 30,000 miles
Wednesday Evening - 32,500 miles
Thursday - 32,500 miles
Friday - 32,500 miles
Saturday - 30,000 miles
Sunday Morning - 30,000 miles
Sunday Evening - 37,5000 miles

Not sure what the deal is, but really miss the old reliable system. This constant changing of award ticket values is extremely frustrating. Especially when it fluctuates within the day...

I did notice that the fluctuations in award ticket value have matched changes in price of the ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:36 pm

I've been experiencing the same thing, except the prices have been going up and not going back down. Started at 25k and went to 40k.

Supposedly in my case it could be due to low level availability being reserved by all the dummy searches I did, and could hopefully go down after a period of time.

What month are you looking at? I've been looking at next March, and thought everything would remain the same until next June when the changes are supposed to take effect.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:34 am
Original Poster

This was in November. It dropped again to 30,000 miles yesterday morning and I booked it.

It stayed at 30,000 till about 6:00pm and then changed to 32,500. This morning I checked again and it was 45,000 miles.

The fluctuation in mileage awards I noticed is tracking changes in the ticket price. As the ticket price increased the mileage award increased. Yesterday the ticket price was $335 and the mileage was 30,000. It went to $406 later in the day and mileage went to 32,500. It shot up to $609 this morning and mileage went to 45,000.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GoCanes
This was in November. It dropped again to 30,000 miles yesterday morning and I booked it.

It stayed at 30,000 till about 6:00pm and then changed to 32,500. This morning I checked again and it was 45,000 miles.

The fluctuation in mileage awards I noticed is tracking changes in the ticket price. As the ticket price increased the mileage award increased. Yesterday the ticket price was $335 and the mileage was 30,000. It went to $406 later in the day and mileage went to 32,500. It shot up to $609 this morning and mileage went to 45,000.
So, for those seeking to maximize the price per mile ratio, it would be have been better to book when the ticket price was at $609. The award at 45k miles would have given you a value for your miles of over 1.35 cents. Instead, you only got 1.1 cents per mile.

Makes you feel better that way
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
That is how dynamic pricing is supposed to work. Why the surprise?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cre95
So, for those seeking to maximize the price per mile ratio, it would be have been better to book when the ticket price was at $609. The award at 45k miles would have given you a value for your miles of over 1.35 cents. Instead, you only got 1.1 cents per mile.

Makes you feel better that way
At least I am in the 24 hour cancellation window to fix the error in my ways.

I ended up buying one ticket at $335 and used my companion certificate and then got 2 miles award tickets. So, feel good about it.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I've rebooked 3 times in three days

They are opening up tons of inventory to EU and dropping mileage costs right and left. It's been really refreshing given that usually things only go up...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM 1.7MM
Originally Posted by AtlantaFreqFlyer
They are opening up tons of inventory to EU and dropping mileage costs right and left. It's been really refreshing given that usually things only go up...
Really? Ain't happening for when and where I want to go!

I've been tracking availability for next June and it was looking great, low (or nearly low) nonstop in J. I was ready to book last Friday and J was suddenly mostly unavailable and when it is, I've been seeing double or more rates with lousy routing. I'm holding out for it to fluctuate the other way soon or I'll making other plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.