Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Just made Diamond. What should I expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just made Diamond. What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
these are of course the jackets the the FA's don't return to the the PM's that for some unknown reason get upgraded to J right?
Think of it as a paid upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
FT at its best.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
After seven years of PM status, accumulated rollover plus a trip to Australia means I've finally hit DM for the first time! I'm wondering what to expect. Here's what I'm thinking:
  • A Porsche will pick me up from my apartment every time I fly.
  • Domestic upgrades are 100% guaranteed to the point where they will kick someone who paid for F out of their seat. The only exception is if there are more DM's than F seats on a particular flight (e.g. 17 DMs on a 737-800 with 16 F seats). In that case, if I'm not upgraded, I'll get an upgrade certificate good for any flight, domestic or international, that can be used at any time to guarantee an F/D1 seat unless that cabin is 100% full of DMs already.
  • I will receive a hand-written letter from Richard Anderson, written from C.E. Woolman's desk, with a small diamond in it and stating that I am no longer a ham sandwich but rather a Philly cheesesteak.
  • They'll send me a luggage tag that says Diamond Medallion and has a "Press here to try me" button. When people press that button, a Gilbert Gottfried voice says "I'm Diamond. You're not. Pfft."
  • And finally, by far the most valuable thing on this list: one (1) SkyMile.

From what I understand, it may be even better than that, but I figure I should keep my expectations low so DL can over-deliver. Right? .

Disappointment?????
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
A built-in presumption that anyone in F below DM status stole your upgrade.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I totally forgot the incredible Diamond benefit. You can get Delta Private Jets connections for free! All you need to do is provide your credit card information for the "small service fee" caused by the switch from FAA part 121 to FAA part 135 flight, plus a small "fuel consumption increase fee"
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Thanks guys! I knew my expectations were too low. A couple of my favorites:

Originally Posted by orca15
Don't forget the personalized zip line to get you from A34 to B2 in ATL when a Porsche is not fast enough to make your connection. Which of course assumes that they can't hold the flight for you, as they normally would, because a Kryptonium Medallion is already on board.
NICE! I'll be sure to bring a GoPro along for the ride .

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Actually you can order a FO to carry your bags. They usually provide better service than kettles, who might not be aware of the related requirement to remove jackets and throw them on the ground so that the DM can walk on the jacket rather than a dirty or wet floor.
And as the FO is walking along with my stuff, I'll be sure to say, "If you keep working hard, you can be me one day," kinda like a boss talking to interns on their team.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM
I've actually convinced some friends that as a DM you're allowed to sit in the cockpit once a year on a flight of your choice.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I did like that certificate I got the first time I made Diamond that let me request one of the NBA charter planes for the flight of my choice.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
And as the FO is walking along with my stuff, I'll be sure to say, "If you keep working hard, and set your goals low, you can be me one day," kinda like a boss talking to interns on their team.
Fixed your post. You're welcome.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
After seven years of PM status, accumulated rollover plus a trip to Australia means I've finally hit DM for the first time! I'm wondering what to expect. Here's what I'm thinking:
  • A Porsche will pick me up from my apartment every time I fly.
  • Domestic upgrades are 100% guaranteed to the point where they will kick someone who paid for F out of their seat. The only exception is if there are more DM's than F seats on a particular flight (e.g. 17 DMs on a 737-800 with 16 F seats). In that case, if I'm not upgraded, I'll get an upgrade certificate good for any flight, domestic or international, that can be used at any time to guarantee an F/D1 seat unless that cabin is 100% full of DMs already.
  • I will receive a hand-written letter from Richard Anderson, written from C.E. Woolman's desk, with a small diamond in it and stating that I am no longer a ham sandwich but rather a Philly cheesesteak.
  • They'll send me a luggage tag that says Diamond Medallion and has a "Press here to try me" button. When people press that button, a Gilbert Gottfried voice says "I'm Diamond. You're not. Pfft."
  • And finally, by far the most valuable thing on this list: one (1) SkyMile.

From what I understand, it may be even better than that, but I figure I should keep my expectations low so DL can over-deliver. Right? .
Congrats! I'm also a BOS-based flyer going to be hitting diamond for the first time this year (just booked a trip to Dubai in November to make sure I go over the edge). IMO the best part is that I'm only 24, plus I frequently fly Sundays and non-business heavy times, so I've been getting a good amount of upgrades, even as a GM/PM. There's nothing more satisfying then hanging around the back in shorts and a t-shirt looking like a college kid headed back to school and then walking past everyone when they call PREM. Also, sometime next year I'm planning on using a GUC to fly BOS-->DTW-->NRT so I can get a ride in the upper deck of the 747 before they've all been retired!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.