Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL sets one day all time boarding record

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton

From the Delta News Hub...

"July 31 set an all-time single-day bookings record of more than 620,000 customers. That’s as if the entire population of Portland, Ore., booked to fly Delta in one day."

and.....

"In June, Delta went 139.2 consecutive hours without a mainline cancellation; the closest streak during a summer schedule was June 2014 - 80.3 consecutive hours."

Interesting to see if any other airlines set all-time boarding records for their respective airline yesterday. Regardless, 620,000 is an awesome number. I can remember pre-merger Delta back in the 1990's would set records by saying they had 300,000 passengers in one day. Good or bad, times change.

http://news.delta.com/nine-facts-abo...mmer-operation
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I wonder how many of those people changed planes -- if they all did it may have only been 310k people that actually flew.

Bob H
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
I have been following the airline industry pretty regularly for 40 years, and I have no reason to believe the number is not really 620,000...but I might be wrong.

If that number included people taking a connection flight and being counted twice, I think we all would have heard about that over the years, and I have never heard anything like that.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
That is a lot of gate lice....
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:00 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
please see crazyeddies thread re :lord of the fly's ish......

delta may have bored 620,000 people but it would appear a good amount did not make it to there destination on time or at all......(see plane still in Macon)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Booking or boarding?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I read the Macon thread. No one really complaining who was on the plane. They all understood. These things happen.

However, the negativity on these boards at times is ridiculous. Delta had a good day yesterday, but it is amazing how people immediately try to find something negative.

Last edited by Silver Meteor; Aug 1, 2015 at 5:20 pm
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Smile

Agreed. I hate it when people actually talk about the negative changes that affect them directly. Perhaps there should just be a board where only good things are propogated.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BobH
I wonder how many of those people changed planes -- if they all did it may have only been 310k people that actually flew.

Bob H
The announcement states booked, not flew.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:44 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
I read the Macon thread. No one really complaining who was on the plane. They all understood. These things happen.

However, the negativity on these boards at times is ridiculous. Delta had a good day yesterday, but it is amazing how people immediately try to find something negative.
I just thought it was interesting food for thought that delta was tooting its horn about the 139 hours even while a flyertalk posters plane was diverted then could not complete the flight due to maintenance not to mention the ATC controller that said there was 80+ flights diverted.

Just as you comment that the negativity on the bored is ridiculous I am wondering if you find it also ridiculous that amount of people apologizing and defending a company that they don't work for? I feel like the majority of posters here, I give credit when credit is due as well as point out frustrations and flaws.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The announcement states booked, not flew.
I can remember when "skinny" Bobby Harber, back in the 1990's was the voice of the Delta Air Lines newsline. He would always make sure you knew when Delta hit that 300,000 person/bookings mark back then. He would also make sure you knew back then that DFW had a very good day/load factor.

For you old timers, Bobby Harper was the DJ that inspired the show, WKRP in Cincinnati, and the character Dr. Johnny Fever. Bobby was a legend back in the 1970's on Atlanta radio before he became the voice of Delta Air lines in the 1990's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.