Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Canceling award ticket due to death in family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I purchased 2 first class 1 way award tickets (domestic) with trip insurance through delta. I had a death in the family and it has changed our plans. My question is, can I get the miles refunded without having to pay the reinstatement fee? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:41 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
First let me extend my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. In my experience with family emergencies Delta is very understanding and accommodating, although often times they require proof of the emergency. YMMV
Again sorry for your loss.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasJosh
First let me extend my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. In my experience with family emergencies Delta is very understanding and accommodating, although often times they require proof of the emergency. YMMV
Thank you! I am going to give the insurance company and delta a call this afternoon once I get out of work, I just know that if I didn't at least ask here I would be thinking about it all day.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by wesbob
I purchased 2 first class 1 way award tickets (domestic) with trip insurance through delta. I had a death in the family and it has changed our plans. My question is, can I get the miles refunded without having to pay the reinstatement fee? Thanks in advance.
I'm very sorry for your loss... I had thought, and maybe I read it wrong, that if you are 72+ hours out, the trip insurance covers to award redeposit fee.

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I've had fees waived for much less serious situations. A polite call is all you'll need. (Or even a tweet to @deltaassist).
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
Very sorry for your loss.

And in terms of the ticket, a +1 to what VegasJosh said. I have no experience with the trip insurance (Allianz?) that DL uses, but this is one area where DL itself has a good record of being very accommodating.

When you call this afternoon, I would recommend just starting with DL. They may ask for some documentation, but I would expect it to otherwise be a relatively simple call.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed, only start with the insurance company if you need to. My guess is that the insurance company will require you to file a claim and provide a good amount of documentation. When I have worked with DL directly around a similar issue, they just asked for the name of the deceased, and the name & phone number of the funeral home--that's it. I would not even mention the insurance company to Delta unless they are refusing to waive the fee. My sincere condolences to your and your family.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I just went through this, and DL came through like a champ! I was in Europe last week when my wife's father died. I was on an award ticket and so I had already used half of the award. I told DL I could make my own way to Heathrow if they could get me home from there. The agent had to clear this through a supervisor, but she was able to change the award ticket for no charge, AND waive the fare difference (difference between my low mileage award redemption and the high mileage reward currently available for LHR-ATL). DL really went above and beyond.

When you call, use the term "bereavement." If all you're asking to do is redeposit the miles without a fee, I'd be very surprised if they don't accomodate you. Delta Cares. Really.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:24 am

I think your worst case scenario is that DL notates your tickets to allow you to re-use the tickets at a later date with no penalty, only mileage difference if there is one. (And you'd get miles back if the new ticket was fewer)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Condolences on your loss.

I expect that Delta would just refund the ticket (and you might even get the insurance cost back, but I've never bought travel insurance so I don't know).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.