GUC DoD priority?

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
GUC DoD priority?

Anybody know how the priority works for GUC clearance on day of departure? I have an upcoming LAX-SYD that has not cleared, and things are looking very tight. I figure only one or two seats will clear at the gate, if at all.

Unfortunately, I was hoping to credit this trip to AS, which means I need to change from my DM number to my AS number before flying any segments, and LAX-SYD is not the first segment on my record. So, my worry is if I pull my DM number from the record before the upgrade clears, I will plummet down the list.

Of course, if the list is ordered by request date, it matters not. So, the question is: does anybody know whether status matters on the DoD upgrade list for GUCs?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No idea for sure as I've heard various rules. However, please note that there was a recent report of someone being told erroneously that someone who isn't a DM cannot use a GUC. the person was apparently removed from the list for upgrades at the gate.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Status is taken into account for the day of departure airport upgrade list. From what I was told (and some experience) the DoD appears to be priorities the same as normal upgrades... ie first by status, then fare bucket, and time of request as tiebreaker if the first two are the same.

If you don't have your skymiles number in there, I'm not sure that you could even transfer the upgrade request to the airport system.

Last edited by rylan; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Status is taken into account for the day of departure airport upgrade list. From what I was told (and some experience) the DoD appears to be priorities the same as normal upgrades... ie first by status, then fare, and time of request as tiebreaker if the first two are the same.

If you don't have your skymiles number in there, I'm not sure that you could even transfer the upgrade request to the airport system.
I assume you mean fare class rather than fare. Also, what about the DL Reserve card?

I've also heard that it's time of request only.

AFAIK there are no published priority rules.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott PM, Delta DM
I'm a DM and have had GUC's clear just minutes before boarding had started. Nothing like seeing your seat assignment changed 30 minutes before a 17-hour flight.

Trav
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
I'm not sure if it's applicable to GUC, or just complimentary upgrades, but you may want to take look at these two threads that talk about loosing upgrades and medallion benefits after you change your FF# on your reservation to Alaska.

Gold Medallion status, booked a delta flight, but don't want to credit to Skymiles...l

http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...woman-scorned/
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by ajwright
I'm not sure if it's applicable to GUC, or just complimentary upgrades...
Thanks, but that is just for Medallion complimentary upgrades. (I have ample experience flying DL metal using my AS number, both with confirmed and Medallion upgrades.) Confirmed upgrades supported by either miles or certificates are not dependent on the frequent flier number---once confirmed.

What I don't know is how the gate list is sorted before confirmation....
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once confirmed yes you may change the FF# at your own risk but odds are it'll stick... however the bigger problem is that DL system will be looking for your FF# in order to assign a priority. I've been told in the past when trying to get a coworker on the airport upgrade list that they couldn't do it unless they had a DL FF# listed.

Last edited by rylan; Jul 29, 2015 at 11:58 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume you mean fare class rather than fare. Also, what about the DL Reserve card?

I've also heard that it's time of request only.

AFAIK there are no published priority rules.
Yes I meant fare bucket, not the actual price. Since we don't have an official policy to go by, it is just based on experience and some info I've gotten from the SC when asking about my position. Had a T international fare go to the airport list and was #2 for 4 seats. SC agent showed me the list from her view and #1 was on a higher fare. She said the priority is like the normal upgrade list. Different time on an B fare I was #1 ahead of several other DMs all on lower fares. Limited evidence yes but it supports the theory that it is 'standard' priority rules for DoD.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:37 pm

To answer my own question a bit, recently I was looking at materials for the Reserve card. They stated clearly that it gives priority, after elite status level and fare class, for free elite upgrades but does not give any priority for instrument-supported (GUCs/RUCs/SWUs or miles) upgrades. YMMV.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To answer my own question a bit, recently I was looking at materials for the Reserve card. They stated clearly that it gives priority, after elite status level and fare class, for free elite upgrades but does not give any priority for instrument-supported (GUCs/RUCs/SWUs or miles) upgrades. YMMV.
Out of curiosity, where is this stated? I've been looking for a few years now to see if it is still a benefit and haven't been able to find anything.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Out of curiosity, where is this stated? I've been looking for a few years now to see if it is still a benefit and haven't been able to find anything.
People apparently haven't been able to find it on the DL side for a while but there have been reports that AmEx promotes the benefit.

IIRC, I was looking at a link for a Reserve card offer with 10,000 MQMs and 10,000 RDMs as the welcome bonus that someone over at MP was criticizing without specifying any details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.