Search

Is a B fare fully refundable...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta- Gold
Is a B fare fully refundable...

and are there restrictions?

I have to get a visa for Brazil but I leave on the 13th of August so I am nervous I may not get the visa in time thus the need for a refundable ticket.

I am guessing this is the best way to proceed? And if I get the visa, the plan would be to then get the full refund and purchase the much cheaper refundable ticket.

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL - DM, SPG - Plat
Originally Posted by bekachan

I have to get a visa for Brazil but I leave on the 13th of August so I am nervous I may not get the visa in time thus the need for a refundable ticket.

I am guessing this is the best way to proceed? And if I get the visa, the plan would be to then get the full refund and purchase the much cheaper refundable ticket.

Thanks!
You'll have to read the fare rules. Some are, some aren't. I've purchased non-refundable international Y fares on DL.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

It's wierd...I'm looking for fare rules sorted by class and can't seem to find them.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold

Thanks!
I don't know what country you're a citizen of, but I can say that if you are a US citizen applying for a Brazil visa in the US, typically they are issued much faster than the stated time. At least in NYC.

Obviously no guarantees, but it may not be as bad as you fear. I think I got mine in 3-4 days.

David
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
It's wierd...I'm looking for fare rules sorted by class and can't seem to find them.
DL has significantly reduced (and in many cases totally eliminated) customer visibility of fare rules/restrictionslots of folks are less than happy about these developments ...
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by jrl767
DL has significantly reduced (and in many cases totally eliminated) customer visibility of fare rules/restrictionslots of folks are less than happy about these developments ...
That's fantastic! Thanks jrl767!

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
ATL Consulate processed my visa same day... it's pretty easy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgilman
I don't know what country you're a citizen of, but I can say that if you are a US citizen applying for a Brazil visa in the US, typically they are issued much faster than the stated time. At least in NYC.

Obviously no guarantees, but it may not be as bad as you fear. I think I got mine in 3-4 days.

David
David, this is encouraging. I am in NYC. Did you go straight to the consulant or did you work through an agency. The agency told me 5-6 weeks.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Just be aware: "refundable" simply means that any refund will go back to your original form of payment. It does NOT necessarily mean that there are no cancellation fees. This is relatively uncommon but does happen.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
David, this is encouraging. I am in NYC. Did you go straight to the consulant or did you work through an agency. The agency told me 5-6 weeks.
That's what my company agency said as well. I went over to the consulate and submitted it myself and got it a few days later. Get there early and be prepared to wait in line to submit your paperwork. Also make sure you have the empty pages in your passport - the visa takes an entire page that must be free of stamps.

I will also add that I was getting a business, not tourist visa. I don't know if it was expedited because of that.

I believe the visa requirement is in retaliation for the US requiring Brazilian nationals to have a visa to enter the USA, and therefore they make it sound bleaker than it really is.

All this being said, go get it done tomorrow and I feel like you'd be in good shape.

That being said, past performance is no guarantee of future results. YMMV

David
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Just be aware: "refundable" simply means that any refund will go back to your original form of payment. It does NOT necessarily mean that there are no cancellation fees. This is relatively uncommon but does happen.
There are also certain events where DL does not offer any refundable fares.

OMA during the Berkshire Hathaway meetings
SDF during the Kentucky Derby
World Cup/Olympic cities
Super Bowl weekend

I saw some J fares to LHR during the 2012 Olympics with £1,000/$2,000 change fees.

But as long as you aren't going to some huge event there is almost always a fully refundable no penalty ticket available
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fare rules can't be generalized by class. You need to look at the rules for your specific fare - like BHOMEBY7 - for the specific city pair, for the country of ticket issue. Don't fall for something like 'All K fares are nonrefundable with a $200 change penalty.'
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
BHOMEBY7
lollerskates
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Fare rules can't be generalized by class. You need to look at the rules for your specific fare - like BHOMEBY7 - for the specific city pair, for the country of ticket issue. Don't fall for something like 'All K fares are nonrefundable with a $200 change penalty.'
+1

Fare rules are specific to the ticket you are buying (or have bought) and its particulars. There is no "list" of fare rules on Delta's website. A "B" fare is a class (or group) of fares and there are thousand of specific "B" fares within that group each with its own rules.

On DL.com the checkout page before you buy will say "Changeable / Refundable" if the ticket is refundable. Nearly all DL domestic refundable fares are refundable without a fee however you'll need to check the specific fare rule to be certain. Many international fares are refundable but only after paying a change fee so you should read the actual fare rules (which are difficult to decipher but will say if there is a fee for a refund).

If you can live with things going wrong (i.e. it turning out non-refundable and using a voucher later) than perhaps you just try your best on the website. If it's a $X,000 ticket that you don't want to lose a dime on, you're best off calling DL and ticketing with an agent (even if you have to pay the phone fee). You could also use a travel agent, many charge less than DL's phone ticketing fee and are pros at deciphering fare rules.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:15 pm

Also consider trip cancellation insurance. Standard trip cancellation insurance (the type you purchase at checkout) will only cover cancellation if your passport/visa is lost/stolen (you will need a police report). However, 'Cancel for any reason' trip cancellation protection will cover you need to cancel... for any reason (it's more expensive of course, but sometimes cheaper than a full fare).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.