Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go through CDG or AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Go through CDG or AMS?

I am booking a flight from JFK to Prague for a group of 10-15 people. I've never needed to have a layover in Europe, as there are very few places without a nonstop flight from New York - but we must stop to get to Prague.

Any recommendations as to whether it's better to go through CDG or AMS? And what about Delta metal vs. Air France/KLM metal for the first leg?

What is the minimum layover time you recommend? I am GM, but none of the rest of the group is, and we will go through group booking so we will likely be closer to the back of the plane.

Thanks for your input!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: delta dm
IIRC At one time delta still had a nonstop to prague from jfk....its been discussed to death AMS
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:56 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
AMS is by far, a muuuuuuch easier airport to navigate.

Minimum layover with a small comfort zone - 90 mins. Bare minimum layover - 60 mins.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
AMS is much better. If flying in the summer, DL 210/211 is the direct flight from JFK. As for minimum layover, KLM usually won't allow anything less than 1.5hrs if they know you have to pass through passport control - with your group, I'd say 2.5hrs.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mahka42
As for minimum layover, KLM usually won't allow anything less than 1.5hrs if they know you have to pass through passport control - with your group, I'd say 2.5hrs.
I'm sure I've had 50 or 55 minute layovers from USA/EUR, and have always made it. They won't need 2.5 hrs unless they plan to shop and have a HUGE lunch.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the help! We are going in the winter, so no nonstop flight. We are able to check our luggage all the way through right?

For passport control - we would only have to go through it in AMS on the way there, correct? On the way back we wouldn't need to go through it until JFK since PRG and AMS are both EU? Or we would need to go through both ways?

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:17 am

You'll have to go through passport control in Amsterdam on the way back when you're leaving the EU. Its just passport control, not full immigration with customs. There's passport control between the gate areas where intra-eu flights arrive and depart and flights to and from the rest of the world. (Simplified explanation)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mbtraveler32
Thanks all for the help! We are going in the winter, so no nonstop flight. We are able to check our luggage all the way through right?
Correct.

Originally Posted by mbtraveler32
For passport control - we would only have to go through it in AMS on the way there, correct? On the way back we wouldn't need to go through it until JFK since PRG and AMS are both EU? Or we would need to go through both ways?
Again, correct, but with a couple of caveats. When you arrive at PRG, there will be a customs station should you need to declare anything, but if you don't, you won't need to stop there. On the way back to the US, you will have to go through an extra security screening in AMS where they will do a brief check to make sure you have a valid passport to go to the US, but it's not the full immigration & customs check. That will happen at JFK.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:34 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Definitely AMS over CDG

I would also recommend AMS. A 90 minute layover would be comfortable.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
AMS

Not only AMS, but make it a long layover. This not only gives you time in case of problem, but there is so much in the airport to explore.

Another thought for you, take them into town. I did this on the way to CDG with my wife last year. LAX-AMS, arriving at 9:05am. Took the train from there and spent the day in town and continued to CDG on the 5:45 pm flight. I am doing that for London in August on my way to Rome.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'd just book based upon the schedule and maybe equipment. For example, an A330 or 767 would be preferable to a 777 or 747.

As to the airports... I think that the perceptions of CDG are out of date and the negatives exaggerated. It isn't a great airport, but it isn't that bad. I also grew increasingly frustrated with AMS (poor food choices, long walks, increasing lines, crowded clubs), but I have not been through since they got rid of security at the gates. AMS is better than CDG, sure, but I don't think it the massive difference that some do.

I certainly wouldn't be spending that much extra time at either airport. Two hours would be a decent length layover to build in some cushion without being too annoying.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm inclined to say CDG until AMS is accustomed to the new centralized security and has worked out the bugs. Also, based on my small sample, AF intraEU seats are more comfortable than those of KLM.

However, if you use AMS, you could book an overnight connection (<24 hours) and enjoy the city. Of course you could do the same for CDG, but IME it's just more hassle getting into the city from the airport there.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:59 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
AMS for sure!

I avoid CDG like the plague. It's a horrible airport to navigate and it seems like there's always someone on strike there.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
AMS, and I would recommend two hours. I just came through there last month, DTW-AMS-PRG, and then BUD-AMS-DTW. AMS is a little messed up with construction, that's why I recommend two hours instead of 90 minutes. Avoid CDG if you can.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
AMS, way faster, shorter walking distances and easier to navigate then CDG, shorter taxi times, don't have to deal with security when doing a US-EU transfer. However extra time needed for the document check/questions when departing on a US airline @ AMS.
Until the 6 KMar platoons are activated prepare for longer waiting times at passport control at certain times.
Less change of having to deal with a strike @AMS.
Food...it's all airport food.

For intra-EU flights, keep in mind that on KLM you can choice your seats in advance. @AF only at T-24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.