Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Marriage Takes Flight"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Actually, Delta didn't just jump onto the bandwagon after today's SCOTUS decision....It's one of the most visual statements I've seen from such a large corporation, a great credit to Delta.
+1
Delta has long been a visible and proud supporter of LGBT people, rights, equality, etc. 15 years ago when I attended my first pride event in Atlanta (as a wee 18 year old college freshman) Delta was then a very visible supporter of LGBT pride etc. I forget the levels in the sponsorship recognition but Delta has always been a $$ sponsor at one of the highest levels of sponsorship. To this day they still sponsor ATL & NYC Pride and probably other cities as well though I'm not familiar enough to confirm.

Thanks Delta. It really does mean a tremendous amount for you to show your vocal support.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by rylan

i'm surprised there isn't a backhanded swipe at the me3 airlines included on the page.
u.s.3: 1
m.e.3: -1

^

Last edited by knit-in; Jun 27, 2015 at 10:38 pm Reason: I can't figure why its changing upper cases to lower?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
Airlines are exceedingly gay. Find me one male flight attendant or gate agent who isn't gay.
Both employees and customers in the industry are disproportionately homosexual. This isn't just good PR; it's the company's culture.
Gay people have a greater need for air travel than non-gay people?
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by captiveguru
What statement is Delta really making?

Is it, "We support Gay Marriage."

Or is it, "We do not want to be treated like Chick-fil-A?"

My sense is that many consumer-oriented companies just want to fit in and will appease the group most likely to turn on them if they fell slighted.
It's just "Marriage" now.

You're probably correct in believing that there isn't a substantial population that disagrees with the SCOTUS verdict on Marriage. A consumer oriented company will be well served by keeping that in mind. Nothing wrong with that.

Hopefully the political leadership will also realize that the largest percentage of the country's populace consists of social progressives. ^
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Gay people have a greater need for air travel than non-gay people?
Leisure air travel is more economically appealing to childless couples (DINKs) and single people. Driving has high fixed cost (car maintenance, gas, etc.) and low variable cost (additional fuel cost per passenger). Flying has no fixed cost and high variable cost (ticket per passenger). This correlation was glossed over in a transportation econ course I took last year (DINKs and singles traveling, not necessarily gay people). It seems true from anecdotal experience, too. I know lots of medallions who travel for leisure at my airport, and they're definitely more than 10% of whatever the out gay population is now.

Gay people don't fly more because they're gay. The legal climate indirectly encouraged it. Now that gays are closer to having the same family size with the same costs as straight people, there's no telling what might happen.

Last edited by Widgets; Jun 27, 2015 at 11:20 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by knit-in
Hopefully the political leadership will also realize that the largest percentage of the country's populace consists of social progressives. ^
And if only someone, somewhere, could put together a coalition of those who are socially liberal but at the same time conservative on issues of economics and defense. It is that group of people, of which I am one, that really have no home with either of the current political parties.

As to the point of this thread about Delta, I am very proud of what the company has done to proudly embrace the LGBT community. This was a company that once upon a time, despite being a great airline, was terribly homophobic when it came to its hiring practices. After the PanAm route acquisition, Delta allegedly endeavored to exclude gay PanAm flight attendants from those it hired to come over to Delta from PanAm.

To transform from a company with that sort of entrenched homophobia to a company that welcomes gay employees and isn't afraid to market to gay people strikes me as truly remarkable. It would be hard to fathom that this is all based on some sort of marketing calculation. The marketing to customers certainly could be, but to go from trying to limit the hiring of gay people to welcoming gay employees without hesitation strongly implies to me that there has been a cultural change within the company.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ND76
Delta's management also ought to consider the time honored wisdom of 1 Timothy 6:10.
Perhaps if you meditated on Matthew 5:10 it would help you cope with the situation.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
And if only someone, somewhere, could put together a coalition of those who are socially liberal but at the same time conservative on issues of economics and defense. It is that group of people, of which I am one, that really have no home with either of the current political parties.

As to the point of this thread about Delta, I am very proud of what the company has done to proudly embrace the LGBT community. This was a company that once upon a time, despite being a great airline, was terribly homophobic when it came to its hiring practices. After the PanAm route acquisition, Delta allegedly endeavored to exclude gay PanAm flight attendants from those it hired to come over to Delta from PanAm.

To transform from a company with that sort of entrenched homophobia to a company that welcomes gay employees and isn't afraid to market to gay people strikes me as truly remarkable. It would be hard to fathom that this is all based on some sort of marketing calculation. The marketing to customers certainly could be, but to go from trying to limit the hiring of gay people to welcoming gay employees without hesitation strongly implies to me that there has been a cultural change within the company.
I also fit in the socially liberal (to a point), economically conservative, category. Throw in a strong national defense and I am in.

There has been a cultural change for sure, but rest assured there is a financial benefit that keeps that change in place.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by skchin
Only God can save this world.
Which one? There are so many to choose from.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Widgets
Leisure air travel is more economically appealing to childless couples (DINKs) and single people. Driving has high fixed cost (car maintenance, gas, etc.) and low variable cost (additional fuel cost per passenger). Flying has no fixed cost and high variable cost (ticket per passenger). This correlation was glossed over in a transportation econ course I took last year (DINKs and singles traveling, not necessarily gay people). It seems true from anecdotal experience, too. I know lots of medallions who travel for leisure at my airport, and they're definitely more than 10% of whatever the out gay population is now.

Gay people don't fly more because they're gay. The legal climate indirectly encouraged it. Now that gays are closer to having the same family size with the same costs as straight people, there's no telling what might happen.
I am not buying this. Business travel makes up far more of a % of air travelers in my estimation. Maybe on weekends this is true but not the other 5 days of the week.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I am not buying this. Business travel makes up far more of a % of air travelers in my estimation. Maybe on weekends this is true but not the other 5 days of the week.
While there are many gay/lesbian businesses travelers, it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown on this.

A number of my gay friends have elite status in various programs, but it's the bigger picture that must be considered.

It is however, a widely accepted idea that the gay population tends to have more expendable income, which is often used for travel and other luxuries. Perhaps this attributes to FCM, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
While there are many gay/lesbian businesses travelers, it would be interesting to see a demographic breakdown on this.

A number of my gay friends have elite status in various programs, but it's the bigger picture that must be considered.

It is however, a widely accepted idea that the gay population tends to have more expendable income, which is often used for travel and other luxuries. Perhaps this attributes to FCM, etc.
I would think the make up of business travelers exactly mirrors the general make up of the gay/straight population. There are plenty of gay business people but greater than 50% would not make sense. Same goes for people with money. I know quite a few and I certainly have many gay/lesbian friends but I would still say they are in the minority. BTW I could be totally wrong I am just conveying my own personal experience.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I also fit in the socially liberal (to a point), economically conservative, category. Throw in a strong national defense and I am in.

There has been a cultural change for sure, but rest assured there is a financial benefit that keeps that change in place.
+1
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I would think the make up of business travelers exactly mirrors the general make up of the gay/straight population. There are plenty of gay business people but greater than 50% would not make sense. Same goes for people with money. I know quite a few and I certainly have many gay/lesbian friends but I would still say they are in the minority. BTW I could be totally wrong I am just conveying my own personal experience.
I too would be shocked if the number was over 50%. Heck I would put the number closer to 20%. As a gay man, I tend to gravitate/(notice more) toward other gay men. That often skews one's perspective, but I would still say while one is likely to encounter more gays while flying than they might elsewhere, the percentages to total flyers would likely still be a lower % overall.

However, that lower % is separate from the revenue aspect, as I tend to believe that the higher expendable income would lead to potentially more GAPFJ fare purchases/club memberships/booze, etc. All of which have decent mark-up (- some of the FCM fares )

As a gay man, I can say with confidence that a lot of my peers tend to gravitate toward the "nicer" things. If that means sitting in F/J, or going to the club, so be it.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
It is worth pointing out that this is not a "closed issue". There are many of us who still do not agree with the redefinition of marriage, whether it be for reasons or faith, natural law, or constitutionality.

Delta can do whatever they want as a private company, but they should realize there is (at least according to public polls) a significant population that does not agree with them. This may not be something people decide to complain about or that keeps them from flying Delta, but it doesn't mean it might not push people away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.