Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrading of DL employee non-revs from LHR-JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading of DL employee non-revs from LHR-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't understand the fascination on FT with smearing non-revs. Unless you are displaced from a cabin, or a stated benefit is not offered to you because it is offered to them, who cares?
I agree with your sentiment but for the most part on this thread that smearing is absent and the thread is full of people asking and learning about non-rev travel, which, personally, I found very interesting.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't understand the fascination on FT with smearing non-revs. Unless you are displaced from a cabin, or a stated benefit is not offered to you because it is offered to them, who cares?
Originally Posted by Ny76
+1
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I agree with your sentiment but for the most part on this thread that smearing is absent and the thread is full of people asking and learning about non-rev travel, which, personally, I found very interesting.
This is probably the most positive and constructive thread about nonrev travel that I've seen in this forum.

There is so much erroneous information promulgated that's it's refreshing to see decent explanations and statements of fact with the usual vitriol. There is still a lot of information which has not been covered since it is only published for internal use and Delta prohibits the posting of internal data in public forums.

One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned is that nonrev travel is only for personal pleasure travel or official Delta company business.

There are many who posted in the thread who are Pass Riders (the official name for nonrevs) who have high level DL status from the revenue flying they do because of schedule, fare class desired, non-DL business purposes, or they just don't want to deal with the uncertainties. For example, I'm a PM about to be a DM and my wife is a PM and we are Pass Riders.

Also, unless I missed something, the thread has dealt strictly with NRSA (Non Revenue Space Available) pass riding. There is another category, NRPS (Non Revenue Positive Space) where the Pass Rider is on official company business and has priority over revenue passengers. An example would be a mechanic or technician travelling to or from an out station to repair an aircraft.

CMK10, Ny76 and NotHamSarnie, thanks for your comments and I'm glad that you got some good information.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Or being stuck at LHR for 4 days in a row after New Year's, with 8 flights a day back to the US and unable to get on any flight.

Did get 4 addt'l Marriott nights, and got to check in/out of the Marriott a lot.

Fun times.
The East Coast WX after New Year's was a killer. We were in AMS and had to get back due to other travel commitments, so after a day we got Award Tix in Y for 62,500 miles + $$$ each (at EU fee levels). AMS-ATL in Y is no fun. No EC were available at the last minute.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
The East Coast WX after New Year's was a killer. We were in AMS and had to get back due to other travel commitments, so after a day we got Award Tix in Y for 62,500 miles + $$$ each (at EU fee levels). AMS-ATL in Y is no fun. No EC were available at the last minute.
Any TATL in Y is no fun.

We went to London last October to see the Falcons play Detroit in one of the NFL Europe games. Flew non-rev over for the game. I had to be back at work on Tuesday, and we flew home on a paid Y ticket. That was painful as I'm 6'4".
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:08 pm

This is probably the most positive and constructive thread about nonrev travel that I've seen in this forum.

There is so much erroneous information promulgated that's it's refreshing to see decent explanations and statements of fact with the usual vitriol. There is still a lot of information which has not been covered since it is only published for internal use and Delta prohibits the posting of internal data in public forums.

One thing that hasn't been explicitly mentioned is that nonrev travel is only for personal pleasure travel or official Delta company business.

There are many who posted in the thread who are Pass Riders (the official name for nonrevs) who have high level DL status from the revenue flying they do because of schedule, fare class desired, non-DL business purposes, or they just don't want to deal with the uncertainties. For example, I'm a PM about to be a DM and my wife is a PM and we are Pass Riders.

CMK10, Ny76 and NotHamSarnie, thanks for your comments and I'm glad that you got some good information.
What he said.^^^
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
1) Non Revs riding up front is fine with me, so long as folks who have upgrades as a perk or use tools to upgrade are not encroached upon by non-rev.

Example, if I ran the airline, I would want DM/PM CPU to clear and place non-rev in Y for domestic segments.

This doesn't apply to DL as much, but at UA I've seen occasions where the passengers with applied GPU have their upgrade fail to clear but non-revs are riding in J.

These actions shows that the company cares more for it employees than its customer imo. That makes me less loyal to the company as a whole.

2) Non Revs riding up front should be as incognito as possible. Too many of them flaunt their perks.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
I just spent 9 hours in the SLC Sky Club instead of 45 minutes because flights were full.

Nonrev life sucks sometimes. It's not all free First class and meals. I have Sky Club access. A woman who was trying for the same flights didn't. ��
Totally sucks sometimes. Sometimes you get a seat, other times you get a long wait in the SkyClub and get to sleep in your own bed that night.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Can non-revs also ride on partner airlines for free? In premium cabins?
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
As I only fly on DL for Intra Asian and US flights, I cannot give answer to your question, but based on what I've seen on my DL flights, I can give you answer to the opposite case where non-rev of other airlines fly on DL.

I believe that this benefit does not applicable to DL employee only, but also extended to non-rev from other airlines on DL flights.

I don't know whether it is official policy or not, but I have seen many instances on NRT-BKK, NRT-SIN, NRT-MNL, NRT-JFK flights.
I know a few internationally based non-revs, and they told me they don't have access to J on partners. However, I was told they can fly other carrier, including non-alliance partners with the discounted airline prices if DL is unavailable.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:56 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
But, you were quite lucky to have miles as an option. (even with the ex-EU taxes)

NRSA travels require an infinite amount of patience and flexibility. Very few realise, as you have elaborated, just how complicated and stressful it can be.

Last two post-Christmas/New Years in AMS have been very difficult. Lots of flights going from 100% wide-open to zero'ed out a day or two prior to departure. (due to weather and cancellations, among other reasons) I know, since I am always watching flights that family/kids (revenue) are booked on.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:03 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum

Ouch. I've been incredibly lucky (and I need to knock on wood now) to avoid having been stuck overnight anywhere internationally yet. Detroit once, Atlanta once, Boston (with family) once.

Hoping to bring a friend on a buddy pass to Thailand next week. It was going to be Australia, but I can't chance her not getting back. Last minute tickets to another DL destination aren't exactly cheap from Thailand...but certainly less expensive than Sydney.

And it's still a week away, so maybe we'll end up somewhere entirely different.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I fly nonrev, it's space available as many have said. We look for flights like that, not the packed full ones. It's not all it's made out to be though. I just got bumped off three TPA-ATL flights and just bought a ticket on WN. We're not always partying in First/One...
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:34 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
At least part of the conversation above includes Delta employees waiting in SkyClubs for flights to clear? In years past, when my family travelled with Delta families flying nonrev, they were not allowed to enter Crown Rooms. They wouldn't enter with our family when I offered as my guest.

Maybe it's different now.

Also, I agree that non revenue flying doesn't look like any kind of picnic. On both vacations we took, our friends left the trip a day early to make sure they could get space back to Atlanta.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:51 am

Location: TLV, JFK, ORD and everywhere in between (no longer SEA)
Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
All it takes is a very flexible schedule, and the ability to chill out at the airport while waiting to see where you can get on a flight.

Traveling non-rev has it's own unique stress, especially when traveling back to the US with 1 flight a day from the departure city. If you don't clear on that flight, you're coming back the next day to try it again. And you're having to find a hotel to overnight as well.
not just back the US..
I was stuck this year (on my first and so far only non-rev experience) in NYC for 4 days, trying to fly back to TLV. the flight was oversold (not even full..) every single day. and everyday I took the train from the city to JFK, only to find myself heading back for another night. One can complain on worst things than being stuck in New York, but it was nevertheless a very unpleasant experience. Since then I decided against a non-rev ticket, unless it's off season. The whole thing was nerve recking, and only on the 5th day I was able to get back home (and was cleared into Y, by the way, since J was sold out). It may also be my fault, trying to fly back to TLV just as the high holidays were ending.

Edit: one of the other issues, is that you can ONLY fly on DL metal (which is completely understandable), so for these types of destinations like TLV or other places with one operated flight a day, I couldn't be rerouted on AF/KLM or AZ and head back to TLV with a stop in Europe. I almost flew to Athens and bought a ticket to TLV from there, but luckily I found a seat on the 5th day..

Last edited by SeattleiteTelavivian; Jun 20, 2015 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Justin026
At least part of the conversation above includes Delta employees waiting in SkyClubs for flights to clear? In years past, when my family travelled with Delta families flying nonrev, they were not allowed to enter Crown Rooms. They wouldn't enter with our family when I offered as my guest.

Maybe it's different now.

Also, I agree that non revenue flying doesn't look like any kind of picnic. On both vacations we took, our friends left the trip a day early to make sure they could get space back to Atlanta.
Here's the current rule:

Airline, airport and industry employees are not permitted access while in uniform or while wearing Delta branded apparel or company/airport identification badge (this includes employees of other airlines, private and corporate aircraft, and charter carriers).
We don't spend as much time in the club when we're nonreving. We try to get to the gate as early as possible and ask the GA to let us know if it looks like we're closed out so we can head to our next choice. We only non rev INTL and don't try from 1 flight a day locations. We have a JFK-ARN-JFK with no date flexibility in July, so that's on revenue tickets. One can't be stupid about it.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
But, you were quite lucky to have miles as an option. (even with the ex-EU taxes)

NRSA travels require an infinite amount of patience and flexibility. Very few realise, as you have elaborated, just how complicated and stressful it can be.

Last two post-Christmas/New Years in AMS have been very difficult. Lots of flights going from 100% wide-open to zero'ed out a day or two prior to departure. (due to weather and cancellations, among other reasons) I know, since I am always watching flights that family/kids (revenue) are booked on.
If we didn't have the RDM's in reserve, we wouldn't even try to nonrev. It's a nice perk but you need to have options and the right attitude.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.