Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can’t Book SRQ-MCO: No Published Fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver

Good morning all,

My son is heading off to college in Sarasota this Fall. We were looking ahead to needing to fly him from SRQ back home to MCO for his first break (yeah, it's a short distance but like a lot of kids these days he doesn't drive). For some reason one cannot book a SRQ-MCO flight on delta.com. You can book SRQ-ATL and I know there are a million flights from ATL-MCO. Any ideas why you can't book SRQ-MCO? Just wondering...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Scott H
Good morning all,

My son is heading off to college in Sarasota this Fall. We were looking ahead to needing to fly him from SRQ back home to MCO for his first break (yeah, it's a short distance but like a lot of kids these days he doesn't drive). For some reason one cannot book a SRQ-MCO flight on delta.com. You can book SRQ-ATL and I know there are a million flights from ATL-MCO. Any ideas why you can't book SRQ-MCO? Just wondering...
If you're looking for a direct flight on DL....there isn't one. All connect through ATL as you've said. Normal day out of SRQ is 6 flights to ATL...and one to LGA. Spent a few minutes looking for a direct flight...still have yet to find one.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Do it as a multi-city...I just did MCO-ATL and then ATL-SRQ on Monday 8/31 for $225 - leave MCO at 8:20am, connect in ATL, arrive SRQ at 1:18pm... if you're pampering junior F is available for $388...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

I'm not looking for direct, knew that it would connect in ATL.

Thanks for the multi city tip, I'll try it that way. That is weird that you can't find it just by booking it as a normal r/t connecting through ATL. I'm guessing it has something to do with the regional carrier on the SRQ-ATL route.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:04 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Delta doesn't publish a fare from SRQ to MCO so what you are seeing via the multi-city are two one-way fares (SRQ-ATL and ATL-MCO). Basically, Delta has decided that the market for air travel between SRQ-MCO is so small that it isn't worth offering for sale. Other factors come into play as well. This is why you can't book it via the round-trip booking tool.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I agree...the only way to this is to use mulit-city booking. I don't think you can any mid-Florida city to other Florida city through a normal booking. TPA/MCO/SRQ/FLL/PBI...and so on Delta. But my question for you is this...I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and fly out of MCO from time-to-time...wouldn't it be easier for you to drive down and get him and bring him back again? Also save a few bucks $$$$$. I can make it from my house to the Wally Park @ MCO in 1:45 during normal I-4 traffic. Sometimes travel Hwy 98 route during peak times on I-4 around Tampa...just for what it is worth.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This is not meant to be flippant: Greyhound has direct service on this route for $9.50 o/w. The trip is about 1 hour and thirty minutes. Why would anyone fly this route, especially if it's a connection through Atlanta? More time, more price, more hassle: it doesn't make sense to fly.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Seriously, fly? It's less than 150 miles. Do your son a favor and tell him to take the Amtrak bus -- 4 hrs and about $20.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Even Uber is a better option at $104 one way--if under time constraints.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Not uncommon. MLB-MCO and DAB-ATL aren't offered either. They're too close so Delta doesn't bother selling the route.

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just go pick him up? Have him look into ride sharing also. Most colleges have a ride share board where someone like him can catch a lift with another student heading that way.

Also look into shuttles. This was the first Google link, and there are plenty of others. http://www.floridashuttletransportat...portation.html
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Perhaps the kid likes to fly? Is trying to earn status? To be honest, if I had the time and I was a college kid, I'd probably go for the longer flight, just for the fun of going to an airport and looking at planes. I'm odd though.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by hotshot265
I agree...the only way to this is to use mulit-city booking. I don't think you can any mid-Florida city to other Florida city through a normal booking. TPA/MCO/SRQ/FLL/PBI...and so on Delta. But my question for you is this...I live in the Sarasota/Bradenton area and fly out of MCO from time-to-time...wouldn't it be easier for you to drive down and get him and bring him back again? Also save a few bucks $$$$$. I can make it from my house to the Wally Park @ MCO in 1:45 during normal I-4 traffic. Sometimes travel Hwy 98 route during peak times on I-4 around Tampa...just for what it is worth.
Add JAX to that list. You can't book PBI-JAX on DL either.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:47 am

One can, however, book flights to the panhandle from most of the major cities in FL. Looking at Google Flights I can see DAB-TLH, ECP, VPS, and PNS being offered, so I wonder where DL must draw the line in determining which city pairs to offer for sale.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Good to see the Flyertalk community hasn't lost a beat...at least I did get the answer to my question. Thanks TTT, krlcomm, and hotshot.

For those of you that posted helpful suggestions, thank you. If I would have wanted answers like "do your son a favor" I would have asked the question, "how can I do my son a favor?"
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Scott H
Good to see the Flyertalk community hasn't lost a beat...at least I did get the answer to my question. Thanks TTT, krlcomm, and hotshot.

For those of you that posted helpful suggestions, thank you. If I would have wanted answers like "do your son a favor" I would have asked the question, "how can I do my son a favor?"
That's harsh, just when FlyerTalkers are trying to be helpful in offering reasonable options that you might not have considered. And after they could see that your original question had actually been previously answered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.