Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Survey - How "Seattle" is Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
New Survey - How "Seattle" is Delta?

Received an interesting survey from Delta today, targeted specifically at Seattle residents. It looked to be focused on deciding how to spend sponsorship dollars: it asked me to rank my interest in four local sports teams (Sounders FC, Mariners, Seahawks, and University of Washington) in a variety of categories.

The five categories I was asked to use to describe my favorite teams were "Reliable", "Thoughtful", "Innovative", "A Leader", and "Trustworthy". (I love the Mariners and attend games often, but it's been more than a decade since any of those five adjectives came close to describing the team )

I was also asked to apply the same criteria to Delta, ranking them on those five categories. The final question of the survey was perhaps most interesting - "How well would you say Delta represents the Seattle community? Put another way, how 'Seattle' is Delta?"

Not surprising in any way - clearly, Delta's been spending substantial money in this market, and sponsorships are part of that.

But it does provide some insight into their thinking. In particular, they appear to be realizing the importance in this market of appearing to be 'local' - especially since that's been the cornerstone of Alaska's marketing strategy. There's been some speculation on FT in the past about whether that actually matters to customers in practice - based on this survey, it would appear Delta believes it's important, at least.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
DL is to SEA as Atlanta is to Seattle.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Gold, SPG
Yeah I got it too. Since Delta already sponsors the Sounders, Mariners and Seahawks... I think this is a good indicator that Delta is looking into sponsoring the Huskies. Though, Alaska already has the Alaska Airlines Arena. I think Delta should be looking at more community involvement (rather than sponsorship) if they are trying to make in roads into the local market.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was none of the above an allowed response for all of the questions about sports teams and their sponsorship?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OMG -- it just dawned on me.

That's why they switched to Sbux coffee on the planes!

How could I have missed that.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

If they really wanted Seattlites to view DL as local they should have gone with something like Cafe Vita. But maybe only Starbucks has the production capacity for a major airline.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

But, then again they were serving Seattle's Best, which is owned by Sbux.

Now, if they really wanted to have a nice premium coffee on board, they could serve Peet's or find a good premium Seattle roaster to really suck up to Seattle.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes please: Peet's Coffee. I sometimes "import" it from California.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BenA
But it does provide some insight into their thinking. In particular, they appear to be realizing the importance in this market of appearing to be 'local' - especially since that's been the cornerstone of Alaska's marketing strategy. There's been some speculation on FT in the past about whether that actually matters to customers in practice - based on this survey, it would appear Delta believes it's important, at least.
Interesting. Would you say it's more important there than in other parts of the country?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes please: Peet's Coffee. I sometimes "import" it from California.
Yesterday I saw a Peet's store in Fairfax, Viginia, so it would seem an expansion is taking place.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
Yesterday I saw a Peet's store in Fairfax, Viginia, so it would seem an expansion is taking place.
There's been an outpost in Boston (actually Cambridge, close to Harvard but on the side of the campus that's closest to MIT) for about ten years.

When I first started drinking Peet's Coffee, I think there was only the store on the north side of Berkeley.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Same survey...except NY

I got the same survey today except mine was centered on NY and it's sports teams. And finally, how much I think "NY" is Delta?

So, it looks like they are targeting a few areas? SEA and NY so far. Anyone get a survey for another city?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting. Would you say it's more important there than in other parts of the country?
I actually would, having lived on both coasts. Part of the Northwest culture is a "buy local" philosophy, and even when dealing with large corporations, people like to believe they have a local connection. I think everyone nationwide enjoys buying local, but here it's almost a social obligation. Portlandia isn't just a sketch show, there's a lot of truth underneath the humor.

I think your average New Yorker buys airfare based on service and price, without as much emotion about whether an airline is a "New York" based airline. I do think some people in Seattle buy airfare based on whether an airline is a "Seattle" airline. There was an article recently where Pemco's CEO stated explicitly he rearranged their internal purchasing system to prioritize AS over DL to support them...

Speaking more concretely, I'd anecdotally say that Alaska Airlines benefits more from 'buy local' sentiment than JetBlue (the closest analogy on the other coast) does.

That said, NYCflip got the same survey except targeted at New York, so this isn't unique to Seattle after all...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Sabai
Peet's took over all the Caribou franchises (~10) in the DC area last spring/summer ... NOT happy with that
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If they really wanted Seattlites to view DL as local they should have gone with something like Cafe Vita. But maybe only Starbucks has the production capacity for a major airline.
Caffe Vita would be a fantastic choice. Even better would be Stumptown - their cold brew coffee is absolutely incredible - although they're technically from Portland

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.