Wiki Posts
Search

Stock down 20% from high

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Stock down 20% from high

...will DL report horrible PRASM numbers? (just like AA, WN).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
DL was the first of the US carriers to warn on Q2 PRASM, and point to potential future capacity cuts. As with everything else, the other airlines are following DL.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Maybe the airlines should offer better (lower) airfare. Then, people will buy and increase PRASM.
You can cut capacity all you want but if even the most basic fare is too high, planes will remain empty.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: delta dm
Let's raise ticket prices increase fcm cut the skymiles program middle seat monetization ....oh wait I thought they just reported record earnings... its those evil oil companies right delta????😉
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Clearly they need to provide more freebies to low-spend "elites" and the Q2 reporting is a result of the failure to do so.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Maybe the airlines should offer better (lower) airfare. Then, people will buy and increase PRASM.
You can cut capacity all you want but if even the most basic fare is too high, planes will remain empty.
You seem to be unfamiliar with components of PRASM and with DL's load trends. Loads are most certainly not the problem.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Let's raise ticket prices increase fcm cut the skymiles program middle seat monetization ....oh wait I thought they just reported record earnings... its those evil oil companies right delta????😉
Actually, DL isn't blaming oil prices. They (as well as AA, UA, and WN) acknowledge that the problem is that capacity is a bit too high.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
You seem to be unfamiliar with components of PRASM and with DL's load trends. Loads are most certainly not the problem.
Actually, DL isn't blaming oil prices. They (as well as AA, UA, and WN) acknowledge that the problem is that capacity is a bit too high.
You cannot have it both ways. If planes are full, capacity is not too high. It's exactly in balance with demand. Unless, what you REALLY want to say is that airlines think that airfare is TOO LOW. Then, cutting capacity might raise the average airfare collected.

However, what I feel that airlines are ignoring is cost. Sure, fuel prices are relatively low. But what about other fixed costs?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Sorry but I have flown DL/AA/US/WN/CX/UA all in the last 2 months and I have not seen any flight with more than a couple of seats open.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

You cannot have it both ways. If planes are full, capacity is not too high. It's exactly in balance with demand. Unless, what you REALLY want to say is that airlines think that airfare is TOO LOW. Then, cutting capacity might raise the average airfare collected.
You might try brushing up on basic microeconomics, specifically the section about supply and demand, and how that impacts prices. Once you brush up on that, you might want to revisit the mathematical derivation of PRASM, which is (Pax Revenue)/(Available Seat Miles) and consider what would cause either the numerator or denominator change favorably. Hint: lowering fares is unlikely to do so.

However, what I feel that airlines are ignoring is cost. Sure, fuel prices are relatively low. But what about other fixed costs?
Well that is simply not true. DL and the other airlines focus intently on costs, both fixed and variable.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Where do you suppose the bragging stockholders here have set their stop loss orders?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You might try brushing up on basic microeconomics, specifically the section about supply and demand, and how that impacts prices. Once you brush up on that, you might want to revisit the mathematical derivation of PRASM, which is (Pax Revenue)/(Available Seat Miles) and consider what would cause either the numerator or denominator change favorably. Hint: lowering fares is unlikely to do so.

Well that is simply not true. DL and the other airlines focus intently on costs, both fixed and variable.
It depends. Capacity (the denominator) is fixed in the (very) short run in that airlines avoid making last minute schedule changes just because flights are empty or full. Whether lowering the price increases or decreases revenue (the numerator) is a matter of demand elasticity. Of course, if every seat is full, then by definition filling every seat at even higher prices on average will definitely increase revenue.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Sorry but I have flown DL/AA/US/WN/CX/UA all in the last 2 months and I have not seen any flight with more than a couple of seats open.
I flew DTW-BGR last Friday and was surprised it was on a 717 with about 50 empty seats. BGR-LGA on Monday morning was about 60% full on an ERJ. It depends on what flight you are on.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer

Why bother with anecdotes? DL has performed a natural experiment.

- They held steady at around 85% domestic loads
- The increased ASMs 4%
- PRASM dropped 5.5%

Clearly the marginal capacity can only be filled by decreasing prices beyond a break-even point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.