Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cargo > People?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that's a pretty succinct explanation, thx Widgets
^
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
that's a pretty succinct explanation, thx Widgets
^
Agreed. Very well done.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Organs? However, they're small and light, except for being packed in ice or whatever.
True. Those wouldn't cause any weight issues though at like 20-30lbs, including ice. Wouldn't those be charter flown too for the fastest delivery since they are so time sensitive?

Originally Posted by justhere
Amazon doesn't drop off anything. Actually it's the other way around.
Right. But it's a lot cheaper per unit to take thousands of packages from Amazon than one from random Joe.

That's not how it works. Also, depending on a number of factors UPS and FedEx pricing can be as good or better than the USPS.
Yeah, actually it is. Their prices are several times what USPS is for individual shippers. If they wanted to compete, they would. They have obviously decided that competing for individuals' and small businesses isn't as profitable as they would like, so they will bleed that business off to the USPS and focus on where they think they can get the best returns on their investments with large shippers.

Originally Posted by kettle1
There are some rural areas that UPS and FedEx do not serve.
The Lower 48 is served by UPS and FedEX, and they can truck from their air locations for time-sensitive shipments that can't wait to be trucked and plopped on a Z-train where that's possible.

The USPS is also much better now that they track packages.
True, they have gotten less bad.

Originally Posted by DLERT
Surprisingly the USPS sub contracts with FEDEX and UPS to haul a lot of
mail that used to go by the major airlines
Ironic since UPS and FedEX drop ship to USPS for local delivery sometimes. Which is annoying, since the package is delivered to USPS in a day or two to the post office a few miles away, and then takes two or three or more days to get to me. Much better when UPS or FedEX ships all the way and ensures a speedy delivery.

I'm not at all surprised, since when's the last time you've seen a USPS plane? I see FedEX and UPS jets all the time, but not USPS. Somebody's air shipping that stuff.

Originally Posted by jackplum
Quite the opposite - before I retired, GE would often scour the planet for critical replacement parts for our MRI, CT, and PET scanners. We had a power unit fail one morning and the replacement came from France in about 18 hours - unfortunately it was bad so GE found another in SE Asia and got it to us within 24 hours. These were the only two PUs that would match our system. And they were massive, all told the weight was probably 8 tons.
Wow. What weird proprietary PSU were they using? Sounds like a bad design to force hospitals to buy weird proprietary stuff instead of using some sort of standard PSU...

Originally Posted by Allan38103
"... had to offload pax after the pilot requested extra fuel because of bad weather. I don't think there's any great mystery here after you look at the flightaware map, and consider altitude/TO temps."

We have a winner.
Then why wouldn't they just have scheduled a fuel stop at MSP?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP closes down in the late evening. What would the timing have been for the fuel stop?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MSP closes down in the late evening. What would the timing have been for the fuel stop?
MSP closes down?!? Maybe they could have made it all the way to DTW then?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Hot, dry and altitude all limit aircraft performance. I remember afternoon flights from LAS in August (>110° at 2,200' with single digit humidity) where all of the luggage and some of the pax was bumped.
Hot yes, Dry No... Hot and High Humidity is worse then Hot and low humidity.

I am with the group calling fuel and weather.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BiggAW
Right. But it's a lot cheaper per unit to take thousands of packages from Amazon than one from random Joe.
A package is a package is a package. It costs the same to move identical packages on identical routes regardless of who the shipper was. The difference is in revenue (Amazon generates more) and profit (individual shipper's package generates more profit per package). Do you work for FedEx or UPS? If not, then maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree or you'll just have to trust me that FedEx and UPS aren't trying to discourage individual shippers.

Yeah, actually it is. Their prices are several times what USPS is for individual shippers. If they wanted to compete, they would. They have obviously decided that competing for individuals' and small businesses isn't as profitable as they would like, so they will bleed that business off to the USPS and focus on where they think they can get the best returns on their investments with large shippers.
It depends on a number of factors including weight, size of package, and speed of delivery. Many times USPS is more than FedEx and UPS especially if you don't need overnight delivery.

Ironic since UPS and FedEX drop ship to USPS for local delivery sometimes. Which is annoying, since the package is delivered to USPS in a day or two to the post office a few miles away, and then takes two or three or more days to get to me. Much better when UPS or FedEX ships all the way and ensures a speedy delivery.
That only happens on the not so time sensitive, and therefore cheaper, service options. In other words, it's not designed for speedy delivery.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:08 pm

If I had to place a bet on what the reason for booting 18 passengers off the plane along with 90% of the luggage, it was cargo related in which the federal government was involved which took priority over anything else. I doubt it was the extra fuel to compensate for bad weather theory otherwise this would be an everyday occurrence.

Airlines have a protocol when it comes to prioritizing payload. Passenger bags, first class mail, perishable cargo, priority cargo and general cargo. You would have to have some juice in order to bump all of the above.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
it was cargo related in which the federal government was involved which took priority over anything else.
It's Obama's fault!!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by Vegasrider
If I had to place a bet on what the reason for booting 18 passengers off the plane along with 90% of the luggage, it was cargo related in which the federal government was involved which took priority over anything else. I doubt it was the extra fuel to compensate for bad weather theory otherwise this would be an everyday occurrence.

Airlines have a protocol when it comes to prioritizing payload. Passenger bags, first class mail, perishable cargo, priority cargo and general cargo. You would have to have some juice in order to bump all of the above.
So you subscribe to the AREA 51 protocol - Oops I can't go into detail it
is classified to the highest levels - how high ? Well if you had the need to
know you would need to know that you no longer have the need to know
and therefore would no longer need the need to know !

Regarding the enroute fuel stop at MSP or DTW both these airports are
staffed by Delta personnel into the wee hours but the MAC (Metropolitan
Airports Commission MSP) might have something to say about the noise
abatement complaints albeit the next day ! Most all of the air freight airlines
try to leave before midnite to avoid the restless sleepless natives from causing
a log jam on the MAC phone lines and other political types the next day.

Strangely the airport was built out on farm land in the early previous century
and then folks came and built houses right up to the runway edge and holler
about the noise - dah - dumb de dumb da !

So this flight did not stop here for fuel and went non-stop with something
precious - so why are we having the Twilight Zone thread trying to figure
it out ? Because it is the thing to do - it is just not human to leave Pandora's
Box left locked and closed ! For all I know it could well be that someone had
a budget to spend expiring like Cinderella's coach at midnight requiring the
wish list item to be paid for and shipped before the clock strikes midnight !
No matter what happens enroute - rain hail lightening slings and pains of
outrageous fortune etc. non-stop service was required !
And those bumpee passengers they were expendables !

An after thought maybe the flight required max fuel to fly at a lower altitude
under the radar - it was terribly important for Cinderella's glass slipper to
arrive without further human intervention !

Now can I go back and throw blind folded darts at any otherwise new plots
to overthrow the UNgovernment !
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I found a Forbes article from 2013. It states:

A suggestion that often comes up is to just dismantle the Postal Service and have everyone switch to using private services like FedEx, UPS, and DHL. The people making these arguments are probably unaware that these companies are deeply reliant on the Postal Service for many of their everyday functions – comparatively, they do not come close to the Postal Service’s domestic infrastructure. One study estimated that in 2011, over 30% of FedEx Ground shipments were actually delivered by the Postal Service, and although they compete, these groups regularly partner with each other.

ARTICLE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tarunwad...-anytime-soon/
This is from UPS:

Extended Area and Remote Area Surcharges
Extended Area Surcharge
UPS provides service in extended areas as well as urban areas. An additional charge applies for each shipment that is picked up or delivered in an extended area.

Remote Area Surcharge
A charge applies for delivery to an area beyond UPS Extended Areas, which are less accessible for deliveries.
Most of those shipment are delivered by the USPS, and can take days.

As I said up thread. The USPS uses the airlines to ship mail everyday. It is big $$$ for the airlines. Delta Dash and cargo is also very profitable for DL.

I read an article a few years ago, where the airlines were fined by the USPS for not delivering mail to Hawaii during the peak Christmas Holidays, as it is written into contracts. I can not find the article now.

Bottom line - Cargo, Human Remains and Mail are very profitable for airlines.

Last edited by kettle1; Jun 4, 2015 at 1:01 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
As I said up thread. The USPS uses the airlines to ship mail everyday. It is big $$$ for the airlines. Delta Dash and cargo is also very profitable for DL.

I read an article a few years ago, where the airlines were fined by the USPS for not delivering mail to Hawaii during the peak Christmas Holidays, as it is written into contracts. I can not find the article now.

Bottom line - Cargo, Human Remains and Mail are very profitable for airlines.
I'm genuinely curious, as I know nothing about the cargo industry, why I keep hearing that air-cargo is a super competitive market. If it's so profitable, what's the tricky part in simply getting some planes and flying them with cargo. It seems a lot easier than starting an airline with PAX service.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
I'm genuinely curious, as I know nothing about the cargo industry, why I keep hearing that air-cargo is a super competitive market. If it's so profitable, what's the tricky part in simply getting some planes and flying them with cargo. It seems a lot easier than starting an airline with PAX service.
Many of the USA commercial carriers did that in the past (had strictly cargo planes). Some International carriers still do. NW, UA, Pan Am did as well. I do not have all the facts on air cargo, but I know a little bit. A former company I owned shipped thousands of packages a year. Our main carrier was UPS for outbound USA domestic shipments and we received discounts based on volume. I no longer own that company.

I guess the reason the airlines like cargo shipments is simple. They have a plane going from A-B, they sell seats and try to fill the plane with PAX at the highest price possible. The cargo holds are not 100% full. So load cargo and mail to fill the gap. This is gravy for the commercial carriers.

Cargo is loaded first and unloaded last. Bags/Animals are a first priority.

A lot has changed since I was dealing with this stuff. We used to get a lot of inbound Asia shipments from (now Fed Ex):

My current company uses the USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, Delta Dash and UA QuickPak.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
If you decide to start passenger service with one aircraft that flies from A-B and back, and you can offer a competitive rate on that flight, many of the people who live in A might use your airline to fly to B.

If you decide to start cargo service with one aircraft that flies from A-B and back, and you offer competitive rates on that route, companies are only going to use you if you can also get their stuff from A-C, B-D, C-D, etc. etc.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I already told you guys. You can stop speculating. It was cargo for the DL conference in Boston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.