Cargo > People?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Yes, they do. Flying horses is one of KLM's specialties.

No, they fly on KLM Cargo flights.

Cargo and Combis are not the same as pax airplanes, which is why I qualified my post by saying *pax* airplanes.
Sorry for off topic but I've seen KLM Asia 7-4's at IAH. why?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
*LOL*

With not quite 300 max people (pax & crew) on board, the 747 Combi is very much a passenger aircraft. I've flown on them several times. KLM has 20 that will be in service until 2020.

And I guess this well-known diversion of KLM 685 with 278 people and 15 horses on board must never have happened?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/11/klm...ref=newssearch
*LOLLER*

To quote my 4th grade gym teacher: "If pax variants and Combi variants were the same thing, we wouldn't need the name "Combi" now, would we?"

Combis and pax variants are not the same thing. Last I checked, DL doesn't own any Combis so it really isn't relevant to the discussion.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
It could be KL Cargo?

Many int'l carriers operate their own fleet of cargo aircraft. KL, SQ, KE, LH, and many others. Could be wrong, but I don't believe any U.S. carriers still have any cargo only aircraft (but they used to).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
It could be KL Cargo?

Many int'l carriers operate their own fleet of cargo aircraft. KL, SQ, KE, LH, and many others. Could be wrong, but I don't believe any U.S. carriers still have any cargo only aircraft (but they used to).
I agree but the plane I saw was parked at a jetway at the terminal.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Some of the aircraft have KLM Asia titles, it doesn't mean anything and they don't fly them just to Asia. Even if it was a combi, they need to load/unload the pax at the terminal.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by BiggAW

Wow. What weird proprietary PSU were they using? Sounds like a bad design to force hospitals to buy weird proprietary stuff instead of using some sort of standard PSU...
Wierd proprietary as in high voltage, many hundreds of amperes, redundancy, etc. Some of ours were 480v 3ph / 400 A.

A 3 Tesla magnet needs a LOT of juice for the power and gradient amps. On a 3T, the RF might be as high as 36kw. The actual magnet is cooled with liquid helium and is superconducting. Give it some power and those little electrons run around for years on their own.

I don't think Best Buy carries those PSUs!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Quote:

Some of the aircraft have KLM Asia titles, it doesn't mean anything and they don't fly them just to Asia. Even if it was a combi, they need to load/unload the pax at the terminal.
Thanks for my answer!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:34 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BiggAW
With overnight, it's there the next morning anyway, when business opens tomorrow.
Where I work sometimes overnight isn't fast enough. We have paid ungodly sums of money to have things faster than overnight. 2 weeks ago I was flown to Switzerland with 2 hours notice to pick up parts that easily fit in a backpack. Spent less than 3 hours on the ground there before going straight back to the facility. Fun to go on a work sponsored MR for sure.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
What are the chances that we could get this thread so convoluted that some media outlet picks up the story, "Delta bumps passengers to fly miniature horse instead?"*

Note that the horse will be making an appearance at the Boston Do on June 24.**

Mike

*I'm not serious about this idea. I'm just horsing around. And we all know the fastest way to get a horse from A to B: The Pony Express.

**I can't guarantee that there will be any horses at the Boston Do.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
ALB was the original alternate airport. The forecast for Albany deteriorated, so a more distant alternate was chosen requiring an extra 4,000 pounds of fuel...or so I hear.

Also, a request for a chemtrail spray over Minnesota came in, so the tank had to be installed at the last minute. That's another 525 pounds.

Last edited by bigsaabowski; Jun 8, 2015 at 11:25 am
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by mikeef
What are the chances that we could get this thread so convoluted that some media outlet picks up the story, "Delta bumps passengers to fly miniature horse instead?"*

Note that the horse will be making an appearance at the Boston Do on June 24.**

Mike

*I'm not serious about this idea. I'm just horsing around. And we all know the fastest way to get a horse from A to B: The Pony Express.

**I can't guarantee that there will be any horses at the Boston Do.
What about penguins? I would show up if there will be penguins... or ponies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.