Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Garuda and Skyteam LGW-AMS...

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hey Folks,

Once again I am heading to AMS for my bi-annual pilgrimage with the guys

I am going to fly to LHR on DL and I was looking for a cheap London-AMS flight in Business Class. POW - Air Garuda popped up out of LGW on a 777-300 for less than $400 - NICE!

I know that getting from LHR to LGW takes some time on the Heathrow/Gatwick express trains but no big deal, I do it all of the time.

Anyway - My questions here:

1) What lounges can expect access to for this short flight in long haul J?

2) Will this be a drinks-only service or will they actually roll out some abbreviated full J service?

No matter what I am looking forward to experiencing this carrier on this short flight in J.

Thanks in advance for replies.

TFD
Old May 20, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Hey Folks,

Once again I am heading to AMS for my bi-annual pilgrimage with the guys

I am going to fly to LHR on DL and I was looking for a cheap London-AMS flight in Business Class. POW - Air Garuda popped up out of LGW on a 777-300 for less than $400 - NICE!

I know that getting from LHR to LGW takes some time on the Heathrow/Gatwick express trains but no big deal, I do it all of the time.

Anyway - My questions here:

1) What lounges can expect access to for this short flight in long haul J?

2) Will this be a drinks-only service or will they actually roll out some abbreviated full J service?

No matter what I am looking forward to experiencing this carrier on this short flight in J.

Thanks in advance for replies.

TFD
I've never heard of Air Garuda. Perhaps you mean Garuda Indonesia?

I flew them in coach recently, for a short domestic flight. A 25 minute flight, and they had time to hand out small snack boxes. J service should be good.
Old May 20, 2015, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a full service Asian carrier, but not a top tier one. I would expect the service to be similar to MH before their recent troubles.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
$400 for a 200mi flight? I hope you enjoy!

I believe there's a direct bus you can take from LHR to LGW. The express trains are unreasonably expensive.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM

Check out the trip reports (just google it) on this particular flight -- the aircraft is supposed to be equipped with GA's newest hard product. I want to fly in F on this route sooooo badly. Let us know how it goes!
Old May 20, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
$400 for a 200mi flight? I hope you enjoy!

I believe there's a direct bus you can take from LHR to LGW. The express trains are unreasonably expensive.
Depending on the time of day and the traffic, another way to get to Gatwick is taking a local bus from either the bus station that serves T1-2-3 or one of the stops in front of T4 to Feltham Station (only about a 10 minute ride from T4), then taking a train in the direction of London Waterloo for about 25-30 minutes, getting off at Clapham Junction, and transferring to the Southern Railway's services on the London-Brighton line that stop at Gatwick's railway station. Usually, their semi-express services stop only at East Croydon before reaching LGW. The ride is less than 30 minutes from CJ to LGW.

The problem with the Heathrow Express is that it terminates at Paddington, and the Gatwick Express leaves from Victoria, meaning that you have to navigate a 20-30 minute trip on the Underground.

Another alternative, although it would take you around 2 hours to do, is to take the RailAir bus to Reading Station, and then take a direct train (I think the carrier is First Great Western) from Reading Station to LGW Station. I've taken this train and it takes around 70 minutes via Guildford.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There used to be direct bus service between the airports. In fact, the bus from Cambridge was frequent and went to not only LHR and LGW, but also one other airport closer to Cambridge, but I forget whether it was Luton or Stanstead. I would expect the same setup from other places so that there would be lots of buses between LHR and LGW.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
If you are going between Heathrow and Gatwick the quickest way is just to get one of the National Express busses between the 2 airports... cost is 25 pounds whcih will be cheaper than going into central london and getting the train out to LGW. The ride takes about 50 minutes and runs every 10 minutes or so.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/where...w-airport.aspx
Old May 21, 2015, 2:05 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
For a bit more "POW" you might consider flying their 777-300ER FIRST CLASS instead of business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.