Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

May 15 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc said on Friday that Amtrak customers whose tickets were canceled because of Tuesday's train crash in Philadelphia can fly between New York and Boston or Washington for free on Delta's shuttle service for the next four days.

The Atlanta-based airline is adding seats along the Eastern Seaboard in response to the crash by flying more Boeing Co 717s on its shuttle routes, rather than smaller Embraer SA 175 aircraft. Amtrak customers can contact Delta Reservations to be booked and ticketed, Delta said.

It will not be seeking any compensation from Amtrak, the airline said.

ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...233733054.html

^ DL
Old May 15, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kettle1
May 15 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc said on Friday that Amtrak customers whose tickets were canceled because of Tuesday's train crash in Philadelphia can fly between New York and Boston or Washington for free on Delta's shuttle service for the next four days.

The Atlanta-based airline is adding seats along the Eastern Seaboard in response to the crash by flying more Boeing Co 717s on its shuttle routes, rather than smaller Embraer SA 175 aircraft. Amtrak customers can contact Delta Reservations to be booked and ticketed, Delta said.

It will not be seeking any compensation from Amtrak, the airline said.

ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...233733054.html

^ DL
I agree (circle today on your calendar ) ^^
Old May 15, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Classy move by Delta ^
Old May 15, 2015, 5:52 pm

This story just broke public 12 minutes ago :O I think I'm just going to use flyertalk for all the latest airline news now.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
While I indeed hope this is true altruism, part of me wonders if someone is getting after them for the price gouging they have been doing the past couple of days. I'm curious to see if US matches
Old May 15, 2015, 5:59 pm

The economist part of me says it's Delta's way of marketing its northeast shuttle service.

There could not have been that many people who were delayed by the Amtrak crash, but everyone is going to read about how Delta offered its shuttle service as an alternative.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Delta haters will be in here shortly to belittle this move in 3...2....1.

(Can't we just look past the intention and see that they're actually providing value to the people affected?)
Old May 15, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by thoiboi

(Can't we just look past the intention and see that they're actually providing value to the people affected?)
I think it's wonderful for Delta's marketing, and wonderful for the secondary/indirect victims of the Amtrak incident.

Win-win all around!
Old May 15, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Good move by Delta! Deserves a BIG ^!! I wonder if DL has a way to check/verify the AMTRAK tickets before they start booking affected pax over onto their shuttle service; and how it will affect their normal shuttle operations?!
Old May 15, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
It is a good marketing ploy because there are three times as many people who take Amtrak between Washington and New York than fly (according to an article I read after the crash)
Old May 15, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Email from Delta says nothing about giving the seats away for free:
Delta Air Lines is honoring existing tickets for previously scheduled Amtrak service in the Northeast Corridor...
Either the email department or Reuters got it wrong.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3...23/8a01d2a16b/
Originally Posted by Widgets
This story just broke public 12 minutes ago :O I think I'm just going to use flyertalk for all the latest airline news now.
(I got the above email at 19.15)
Old May 15, 2015, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Email from Delta says nothing about giving the seats away for free:

Either the email department or Reuters got it wrong.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3...23/8a01d2a16b/
Delta is honoring previously held Amtrak tickets by accepting those impacted customers on Delta flights for free. I believe for travel until 19 May.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Widgets
I think it's wonderful for Delta's marketing, and wonderful for the secondary/indirect victims of the Amtrak incident.

Win-win all around!
+1

It's certainly wonderful marketing. Generate some positive opinion among the public, and hopefully convert some of those Amtrak riders to the Shuttle. Even better that this is actually helping out some folks.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
How's that for a belittling post from a so-called "Delta hater"?
Old May 15, 2015, 6:43 pm

Remind me again how evil DL is.
Old May 15, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Whatever the motivation, this offer is sure to be appreciated by those who might be stranded.

Well done DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.