Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Reply

Old May 15, 15, 6:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: LAS HNL
Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Posts: 4,441
Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

May 15 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc said on Friday that Amtrak customers whose tickets were canceled because of Tuesday's train crash in Philadelphia can fly between New York and Boston or Washington for free on Delta's shuttle service for the next four days.

The Atlanta-based airline is adding seats along the Eastern Seaboard in response to the crash by flying more Boeing Co 717s on its shuttle routes, rather than smaller Embraer SA 175 aircraft. Amtrak customers can contact Delta Reservations to be booked and ticketed, Delta said.

It will not be seeking any compensation from Amtrak, the airline said.

ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...233733054.html

DL
kettle1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 6:48 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Posts: 12,237
Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
May 15 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc said on Friday that Amtrak customers whose tickets were canceled because of Tuesday's train crash in Philadelphia can fly between New York and Boston or Washington for free on Delta's shuttle service for the next four days.

The Atlanta-based airline is adding seats along the Eastern Seaboard in response to the crash by flying more Boeing Co 717s on its shuttle routes, rather than smaller Embraer SA 175 aircraft. Amtrak customers can contact Delta Reservations to be booked and ticketed, Delta said.

It will not be seeking any compensation from Amtrak, the airline said.

ARTICLE: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-...233733054.html

DL
I agree (circle today on your calendar )
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 6:49 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,515
Classy move by Delta
Miesque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 6:52 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,758
This story just broke public 12 minutes ago :O I think I'm just going to use flyertalk for all the latest airline news now.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 6:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Posts: 142
While I indeed hope this is true altruism, part of me wonders if someone is getting after them for the price gouging they have been doing the past couple of days. I'm curious to see if US matches
GNVFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 6:59 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,758
The economist part of me says it's Delta's way of marketing its northeast shuttle service.

There could not have been that many people who were delayed by the Amtrak crash, but everyone is going to read about how Delta offered its shuttle service as an alternative.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LAXatives
Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 379
Delta haters will be in here shortly to belittle this move in 3...2....1.



(Can't we just look past the intention and see that they're actually providing value to the people affected?)
thoiboi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:05 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,758
Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Delta haters will be in here shortly to belittle this move in 3...2....1.



(Can't we just look past the intention and see that they're actually providing value to the people affected?)
I think it's wonderful for Delta's marketing, and wonderful for the secondary/indirect victims of the Amtrak incident.

Win-win all around!
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:05 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOM/DEL/GAU
Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Posts: 1,017
Good move by Delta! Deserves a BIG !! I wonder if DL has a way to check/verify the AMTRAK tickets before they start booking affected pax over onto their shuttle service; and how it will affect their normal shuttle operations?!
AvidFlyer1990 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:06 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,515
It is a good marketing ploy because there are three times as many people who take Amtrak between Washington and New York than fly (according to an article I read after the crash)
Miesque is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:10 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kingdom of the Sun
Programs: DL GM/MM
Posts: 3,703
Email from Delta says nothing about giving the seats away for free:
Delta Air Lines is honoring existing tickets for previously scheduled Amtrak service in the Northeast Corridor...
Either the email department or Reuters got it wrong.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3...23/8a01d2a16b/
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
This story just broke public 12 minutes ago :O I think I'm just going to use flyertalk for all the latest airline news now.
(I got the above email at 19.15)
Pharaoh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:12 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,758
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
Email from Delta says nothing about giving the seats away for free:

Either the email department or Reuters got it wrong.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/3...23/8a01d2a16b/
Delta is honoring previously held Amtrak tickets by accepting those impacted customers on Delta flights for free. I believe for travel until 19 May.
Widgets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:25 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 14,778
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
I think it's wonderful for Delta's marketing, and wonderful for the secondary/indirect victims of the Amtrak incident.

Win-win all around!
+1

It's certainly wonderful marketing. Generate some positive opinion among the public, and hopefully convert some of those Amtrak riders to the Shuttle. Even better that this is actually helping out some folks.

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
Delta haters will be in here shortly to belittle this move in 3...2....1.
How's that for a belittling post from a so-called "Delta hater"?
javabytes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:43 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 224
Remind me again how evil DL is.
Darth Chocolate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 15, 7:45 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: LAS
Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Posts: 3,604
Whatever the motivation, this offer is sure to be appreciated by those who might be stranded.

Well done DL.
Sabai is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: