Wiki Posts
Search

Delta expanding at MCO?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Delta expanding at MCO?

Flew out of MCO on Thursday 5/14/15 and was surprised to find Delta using gates in the 80-89 wing of that airside. The 8:20 to ATL went from gate 83 and I saw at least an MSP flight on my way to the gate plus there was another Delta plane on a gate further down that side.

Is this an indication of an expansion in DL operations at MCO? Or are they working on some of the usual 70-79 gates? (I didn't go look).
Old May 15, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by jalves
Flew out of MCO on Thursday 5/14/15 and was surprised to find Delta using gates in the 80-89 wing of that airside. The 8:20 to ATL went from gate 83 and I saw at least an MSP flight on my way to the gate plus there was another Delta plane on a gate further down that side.

Is this an indication of an expansion in DL operations at MCO? Or are they working on some of the usual 70-79 gates? (I didn't go look).
I'm not aware of any expansion. My departing flights seem to always be from the 70s, but it's not unusual for my late evening returning flights to be in the 80s.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I'm not aware of any expansion. My departing flights seem to always be from the 70s, but it's not unusual for my late evening returning flights to be in the 80s.
Hmmm, maybe that's what is happening. My flight was 8:20 am so the plane probably came in the night before and over-nighted at gate 83. Still, doesn't that indicate they are using more gates?
Old May 15, 2015, 9:10 pm

Delta uses numerous gates in the 80-wing for RON aircraft. Depending on day of week you might see 4-5 Delta planes using 80-wings for late arrivals and early morning departures.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Most of the time my 5:30 or 6:30 AM flights leave from the 80's gates. I wouldn't mind it if they would install the GIDS monitors at those gates. But usually the upgrades are pretty easy on those really early flights.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
DL used to have a hub at MCO back when they were the "official" airline for Disney World.

Quick story: I sat next to a VP of marketing for Disney flying LAX-MCO in FC on a L-1011 weeks before Universal Orlando was to open. He was fine for about two hours into the flt. He than opened DL Sky magazine and flipped out. He used every word Disney would not be proud of. F*** DL. POS DL (not person of size). Etc, etc. This went on for a few mins and I asked him what was the problem.

He said that DL was the Official Airline of WDW and Disneyland in CA. DL Sky magazine ran a 8-10 page full color flip out ad for Universal Orlando in that issue. He was livid.

He soon cooled off and we talked the rest of the flight and he was a very nice guy. He gave my family passes to Disneyland in CA (where I lived at the time), access to Club 33 (for that visit) and his business card and said to call him if we ever needed anything. I gave him my business card as well.

DL was no longer the official airline for Disney soon after. MCO turned into a "focus city" for DL. I learned a lot from that guy about Disney. He had a Disney name badge in his briefcase exactly like the ones worn by all the employees or "cast members".

DL screwed that relationship up. I think Ron Allen was running the show back than.

Club 33 was nice at Disneyland. I ran into him one more time about 2 years later flying LAX-MSY-MCO, I got off in MSY, he was going to MCO (through flt). The good old days.

I do not think MCO will become a hub again. It is a leisure city, just like LAS, my hometown (most of the time).

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old May 16, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
As others have mentioned, DL uses the gates typically reserved for the european carriers (BA, LH, VS etc.) in the 80s side. Usually there will be a couple aircraft that arrive at night and leave in the early morning. So it's nothing unusual on DL's part at MCO. With that said, even though MCO is not a hub and I highly doubt it will become a hub - it is a pretty big focus city. Non-stop flights to NYC (JFK/LGA), BOS, ATL every hour, DTW, MSP, CVG, MEM, SLC, RDU, and SEA (later this year) show that MCO is not just another city and gets a bit of attention.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Remember Delta Express had a lot of flights to MCO.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Remember Delta Express had a lot of flights to MCO.
Yes, and I miss Song too. We used to have quite the DL operation at MCO including many rj's operating from the ground level gates 60-69. It's so depressing seeing it empty now.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Originally Posted by kettle1
- - - DL used to have a hub at MCO back when they were the "official" airline for Disney World.
Quick story: I sat next to a VP of marketing for Disney flying LAX-MCO in FC on a L-1011 weeks before Universal Orlando was to open. He was fine for about two hours into the flt. He than opened DL Sky magazine and flipped out. He used every word Disney would not be proud of. F*** DL. POS DL (not person of size). Etc, etc. This went on for a few mins and I asked him what was the problem.
He said that DL was the Official Airline of WDW and Disneyland in CA. DL Sky magazine ran a 8-10 page full color flip out ad for Universal Orlando in that issue. He was livid.
He soon cooled off and we talked the rest of the flight - - -
DL was no longer the official airline for Disney soon after. - - -
Have a great weekend everyone!

I have had many many trips to SNA LAX all with the purpose of seeing
NOT ONLY WDW Disneyland as well as Universal Studios and Knotts Berry
Farm and other assorted Hollywood stuff and 6 Flags Magic Mountain.
In no way is my primary interest in Disneyland alone.
At my age now Disneyland is sort of meaningless and terribly expensive.
My best times were when Kaiser Permanente or the US Navy would buy the
Park out on a weekend day/night for use of those organizations employees
and US Government guests.
No crowds and fare was perfect.
Sadly when the park is full it is not a pleasant experience !

Been to Orlando a few times and sorry kids it is pretty much the same-o-same-o !

Eastern Airlines was the host to the Disney stuff until it flew off into the sunset !
Eastern was more closely affiliated with Disney than Delta and Delta inherited
all lot problems from Eastern with its demise.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Regarding. Eastern, here is a blast from the past.

http://youtube/uPlQ2faF5EU
milesandmoremiles likes this.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, and I miss Song too. We used to have quite the DL operation at MCO including many rj's operating from the ground level gates 60-69. It's so depressing seeing it empty now.
I miss being able to non-stop to more places more frequently... I do NOT miss 60-69.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I miss being able to non-stop to more places more frequently... I do NOT miss 60-69.
Amen bro. ^

It is part of MCO’s billion dollar plan to modify intl arrivals. Eventually I would think all intl arrivals will come in through the new terminal, maybe doing away with the 60’s gates entirely.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Was sorry when Song ended; DL only kept some of their direct flights. One of the direct flights I really miss is the one to MSY. Don't miss the 60 gates as that area tended to be crowded and didn't offer anything.

Also miss the days of just driving up to the old building, parking the car, walking to the counter and just getting on the plane, but that was a very long time ago.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
were the 60 gates downstairs by the SkyClub? I'd love to see that area rebuilt and expanded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.