Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elec Problem: DL 151 ATL-LIM 5/6

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 5:14 pm
jer
Original Poster

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.

So we're all on board and they discover an electrical problem. They power down the plane (I guess they sometimes reboot just like a computer? ) But no luck. Now the Captain is off to talk options with the Gate agent.

I'm in no rush, but just wondering what the collective wisdom is on these situations. We're already an hour late, and they are calling the "company" to investigate because Delta mechanics have given up.

So what generally happens? swap out the plane? cancel the flight?
Old May 6, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Given that you're in ATL, they'd probably swap out the plane. Had this been in LIM, they'd probably cancel the flight.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:18 pm
jer
Original Poster

Update I: And he's back. Apparently there ain't no spare planes around, so we're sitting tight.

Update II: So they found a plane. Looks like a five to six hour delay, making it an overnight flight, fine by me.

Last edited by jer; May 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by jer
Update I: And he's back. Apparently there ain't no spare planes around, so we're sitting tight.

Update II: So they found a plane. Looks like a five to six hour delay, making it an overnight flight, fine by me.
Do you have travel insurance? Delays like these are usually claimable on top of whatever Delta might offer for the lengthy mechanical delay.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:07 pm
jer
Original Poster

So they finally get us all boarded on the brand new plane and some sort of altercation breaks out in the back . Cops on board and it looks like two families removed. Stress levels rising.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jer
So they finally get us all boarded on the brand new plane and some sort of altercation breaks out in the back . Cops on board and it looks like two families removed. Stress levels rising.
Just what you needed. Hope the crew doesn't time out now!
Old May 7, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by jer
Ok this made me laugh. Need more details!
Old May 7, 2015, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jer
I wonder if your new plane went tech upon arrival into LIM. Looks like the return this morning was cancelled. I presume that was to be operated by the crew from the night before?
Old May 7, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
OK, looks like the flight operated but three or four hours late. The 5/7 return to ATL was canceled, and the 5/8 schedule shows two separate flights, one a 9xxx special section thzt is scheduled to leave LIM at 0400 (the regular DL 150 leaves at 0110).
Old May 7, 2015, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
I wonder if your new plane went tech upon arrival into LIM. Looks like the return this morning was cancelled. I presume that was to be operated by the crew from the night before?
It might be a crew eligibility issue: more rest could be required due to the delay.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The original flight arrived at 3:30am, and the return was scheduled to be delayed until 8am until it was cxld. As mentioned special section is scheduled for 4am. Would crew rest really require 24hrs? I assumed they fly the return crew down on the outbound flight so they're ready to go.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
doesn't deadheading (positioning) time count as duty time? I can't really see that they would expect the crew to sleep on an 8-10 hr flight and turn around to operate the return
Old May 8, 2015, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some stations/routes give the crew a full rest day before they return on long hauls, so that there are overlapping sets of crew. In some circumstances, DL will fly (deadhead) and extra set of crew to get the aircraft and passengers back more quickly.

For example, ATL-EZE,a bout 6000 miles, arrives around 9 am and the return flight departs at about 9 pm, but IIRC the crew spend 36 hours in Buenos Aires rather than 12, and goes back not with the aircraft on the same returning flight but with the flight one day later.

At NRT, pursers and some FAs do some intraAsia flights before returning home, so that it's about a five day trip for some of them with a rather complicated schedule for the rotations.

Obviously LIM is closer, so I don't know how crew are normally scheduled for this route, but a 24 hour rest period wouldn't surprise me, especially after a delayed flight.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:13 pm
jer
Original Poster

Dang, when it rains it pours. Now on the return and the atl-roc leg has a busted rear stabilizer or something. I don't think I have had to deboard a commercial flight for mechanical reasons in ten years, and then twice on a single trip! Hopefully no passenger fights this time.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by jer
Dang, when it rains it pours. Now on the return and the atl-roc leg has a busted rear stabilizer or something. I don't think I have had to deboard a commercial flight for mechanical reasons in ten years, and then twice on a single trip! Hopefully no passenger fights this time.
Look at the bright side...It didn't bust in flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.