Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Meals in Domestic F

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
New Meals in Domestic F

My most recent trip DCA-ATL-SMF-ATL-DCA involved travel on April 30 and May 4, and I was lucky enough to have been upgraded in both directions ATL-SMF.

The outbound meal was sort of a garden variety chicken breast served on top of rice pilaf with sliced yellow squash and broccoli (the alternative was some sort of pasta). As like most others on here I'm counting my blessings whenever I get upgraded, I'm not complaining, only observing.

On the return, which departed SMF around 1315, DL really upped its game; the choices were about 4-5 ounces of cold sliced beef filet served on the same plate with leaf lettuce topped with an asian slaw, and a thick orange-colored paste which I could not identify, and a garden salad on the side, together with a small carton of chocolate gelato; or chicken enchiladas. The beef dish was the best meal I've eaten in domestic F in several years (not counting the flat bed BE style service between JFK-LAX).
Old May 5, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by ND76
My most recent trip DCA-ATL-SMF-ATL-DCA involved travel on April 30 and May 4, and I was lucky enough to have been upgraded in both directions ATL-SMF.

The outbound meal was sort of a garden variety chicken breast served on top of rice pilaf with sliced yellow squash and broccoli (the alternative was some sort of pasta). As like most others on here I'm counting my blessings whenever I get upgraded, I'm not complaining, only observing.

On the return, which departed SMF around 1315, DL really upped its game; the choices were about 4-5 ounces of cold sliced beef filet served on the same plate with leaf lettuce topped with an asian slaw, and a thick orange-colored paste which I could not identify, and a garden salad on the side, together with a small carton of chocolate gelato; or chicken enchiladas. The beef dish was the best meal I've eaten in domestic F in several years (not counting the flat bed BE style service between JFK-LAX).
I wonder if this is SMF catering? SMF has very little longer haul flying if I recall (1-2x to ATL and 2-3x to MSP) so it could be catered RT from the hub, but perhaps the vendor at SMF is just really good - or you got lucky!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
BOS has been having the same catering ( At least for me)

BOS to ATL-PLS-BDA-MCO-CUN-MSP

Breakfast
Cereal w/ Fruit
Bagel Sandwich w/ egg and cheese (The occasional meat)

Lunch (PLS/BDA return catered out of BOS)
Some sort of salad w/ cookie
Calzone w/ meat and cookie

PLS/BDA
Cold Sandwich w/ lays potato chips

Dinner
Pasta w/ tomato no salad cookie
Short Ribs w/ salad and cookie

BOS to LAX-SLC

Breakfast
Cereal w/ berries
Omelette with cheese

Snack Basket
Wiker Basket still making appearances!
Kit Kat
Cape Cod Chips
Twix
Banana

Again this is just from my flights!
Old May 5, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On two recent flights, I had a cold plate of grilled chicken breast, asparagus, artichokes, and olives (in a little dish). It came with bread sticks and fresh fruit (watermelon pieces, grapes, etc.). There might have been a small salad too.

These were both dinners, where the other choice was something hot, pot stickers on on flight and something different that I don't remember on the other.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
DL really upped its game; the choices were

A thick orange-colored paste which I could not identify

The beef dish was the best meal I've eaten.

Last edited by davetravels; May 5, 2015 at 5:13 pm Reason: Edited heavily by me!
Old May 5, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I liked the Asian beef salad. I also liked a vegetarian lasagne. It had a lot of mushrooms in it.

The one dish I really hated was the nicoise salad. It's the worst salad ever created.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
and a thick orange-colored paste which I could not identify
Nice report but I would advise against applying for the Food Network Writer position
Old May 5, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
[QUOTE=ND76;24770630]and a thick orange-colored paste which I could not identify it's hummus

The beef dish was the best meal I've eaten in domestic F in several years (not counting the flat bed BE style service between JFK-LAX). it's the standard "Asian Beef Salad" they've served on occasion for the past year or so[/QUOTE]
Old May 6, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Probably a ginger miso dressing or sauce
Old May 6, 2015, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA used to have a similar asian beef salad which was delicious.....that's gone now thanks to Dougie. Just wish Delta could manage to serve warm nuts prior to the meal in FC....I hate having my first drink inflight plopped down on the meal tray all at once on Delta.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by woodford02A
I wonder if this is SMF catering? SMF has very little longer haul flying if I recall (1-2x to ATL and 2-3x to MSP) so it could be catered RT from the hub, but perhaps the vendor at SMF is just really good - or you got lucky!
Flew PDX-ATL yesterday and the meals were the exact same (cold beef salad and beef enchiladas) as described in the OP.

Didn't partake as I are in the Country Cat (phenomenal skillet fried chicken) in Terminal D prior to departing but they both looked good.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:24 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just wish Delta could manage to serve warm nuts
I giggle

every time I see this!

Old May 6, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by davetravels
I giggle

every time I see this!

Old May 6, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LOL
Old May 6, 2015, 12:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
AA used to have a similar asian beef salad which was delicious.....that's gone now thanks to Dougie. Just wish Delta could manage to serve warm nuts prior to the meal in FC....I hate having my first drink inflight plopped down on the meal tray all at once on Delta.
I've been on some domestic DL flights where there was a distinct drinks service (with the small limited snack basket) before the meal. IMO this should depend on the length of the flight as well as the schedule, so that an 4:30 pm departure gets drinks then dinner, while at 7:50 pm the sequence is dinner then drinks.

Even on longhaul international, DL serves nuts in a package (the infamous former KE executive would go nuts over this) rather than a dish and does not attempt to warm and melt the package.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.