Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

RUC expiration dates -- book by, or travel by?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

I have a few RUCs that I am getting concerned about not being able to use before they expire.

Are the expiration dates on these certificates the "travel by" date, or can I book a reservation and upgrade it for travel beyond the expiration date, provided the RUC clears by exp date?
Old May 4, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
T&Cs:

2. Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue; all travel must be complete prior to certificate expiration date. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html
Old May 4, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks. Will need to find an extra trip to take with a friend before January 6th.
Old May 4, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I have been able to use these if the seat is available, even if travel occurs after they expire. However, if they expire while waitlisted, then they are no good.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Old SWUs were "confirm by" or better (confirm some segment by, etc.), although reissue ticket by was a safer strategy and avoided hassles.

The new GUCs/RUCs are travel by, which I interpret to mean "complete travel in the direction that has been upgraded by." So one could use an expiring GUC/RUC on the outbound part of a RT, but maybe not if the flight is scheduled to arrive after midnight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.