Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQDs for Delta Flights purchased through AirFrance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold

Hi. First, I apologize in advance as I'm SURE this has been covered, but I've not found the thread(s) that do, and the Delta FAQ for MQDs doesn't address it:

If I purchase a ticket including (only, though not sure this matters) Delta-operated flights from AirFrance, do I get MQD's based on 20% of flown miles or based on actual ticket price?

I believe it's the former (20%) but I just want to double check before buying my ticket (which my finger is hovered over the purchase button for now)

Thanks in advance! If there's a search I should have been doing to find the answer, if you can point me to the right search terms I won't bother the forum next time.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:10 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Who is the marketing carrier? DL marketed flights (regardless of ticket stock) earn based on the DL earning. If it is marketed by another airline then it would fall under those rules.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AS Gold
Not sure what you mean by Marketing Carrier.

all flights are operated by Delta (i assume this is what you mean by MC). I would be purchasing the ticket on AirFrance ticket stock assuming that gets me the 20%, which is a bit better than what I would get purchasing same itin on Delta stock

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason only saw the first sentence of TTT's original reply. Sounds like Delta knows how much I paid even if it's on AF stock and awards MQDs accordingly
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:27 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bumble
Not sure what you mean by Marketing Carrier.

all flights are operated by Delta (i assume this is what you mean by MC). I would be purchasing the ticket on AirFrance ticket stock assuming that gets me the 20%, which is a bit better than what I would get purchasing same itin on Delta stock

EDIT: Sorry, for some reason only saw the first sentence of TTT's original reply. Sounds like Delta knows how much I paid even if it's on AF stock and awards MQDs accordingly
Marketing carrier refers to the airline code. Is the flight a DL flight number or an AF flight number?

Operating carrier is the carrier flying the plane. In this context (the example you are asking about) operating carrier doesn't matter.

Assuming all purchased on AF stock:

AF4567 (Operated by Delta Air Lines) will earn under the AF rules.
DL1234 (Operated by Delta Air Lines) will earn under the DL rules.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Marketing carrier is the airline name associated with the flight number on your ticket and itinerary. For example, a DL operated flight can be purchased as, using flight numbers I'm making up, DL 348 or AF 6348 using a codeshare, where the itinerary should show somewhere in small type that AF 8348 is operated by DL. For FF purposes, DL marketed flights tend be to treated as DL flights, although there could be some strange exceptions if nonSkyTeam airlines are involved.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For FF purposes, DL marketed flights tend be to treated as DL flights, although there could be some strange exceptions if nonSkyTeam airlines are involved.
Anything that is a DL marketed flight earns under these rules. There aren't any exceptions based on carrier.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ith-delta.html
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
Assuming all purchased on AF stock:
Bought AF over the phone (af.dumb issues) all with AF flight AF metal but in 006 stock. Voila, MQD and revenue base. I guess all US origin DL,AF,KL over the phone will be 006.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:43 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Bought AF over the phone (af.dumb issues) all with AF flight AF metal but in 006 stock. Voila, MQD and revenue base. I guess all US origin DL,AF,KL over the phone will be 006.
I assume you called via the US contact number? If so, that just goes to Delta.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
I assume you called via the US contact number? If so, that just goes to Delta.
Yep, I know it is like that for KLM so I kinda see it coming. Any how mile difference was not worth the trouble and time.

For future reference, is there actually a local or Canada number to call that would not issue as 006 stock????
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:07 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Yep, I know it is like that for KLM so I kinda see it coming. Any how mile difference was not worth the trouble and time.

For future reference, is there actually a local or Canada number to call that would not issue as 006 stock????
I bet you could call AF in the UK via Skype. That would probably issue on AF stock but I have never tried it.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Could someone explain how Delta MQD is calculated if I book an Air France ticket, through Air France, using my Delta FF number? The following Delta web site had some information:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ir-france.html

I could not make sense out of it, base on the following requirement:

"(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

Hypothetically, if I were to book a round trip ticket from LAX-CDG, at a cost of $2000 (forget about factoring taxes or airline junk fees), how many MQDs would there be for an economy class ticket? How many MQDs for premium economy, or business class based on this example (using same cost and distance)?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by conde
Could someone explain how Delta MQD is calculated if I book an Air France ticket, through Air France, using my Delta FF number? The following Delta web site had some information:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ir-france.html

I could not make sense out of it, base on the following requirement:

"(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid."

Hypothetically, if I were to book a round trip ticket from LAX-CDG, at a cost of $2000 (forget about factoring taxes or airline junk fees), how many MQDs would there be for an economy class ticket? How many MQDs for premium economy, or business class based on this example (using same cost and distance)?
As stated on the website, MQD's in this case are calculated as a percentage of distance flown and have no relation to what you paid for ticket. So you need to look at the distance (11340 miles R/T) and your fare class, not how much you paid. The cheapest economy fare classes earn MQD's at 5% of the mileage which would equal 567 MQD's for the trip. You'll need to use the MQD earning column in the chart to figure out which percentage applies based on your fare class.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
As stated on the website, MQD's in this case are calculated as a percentage of distance flown and have no relation to what you paid for ticket. So you need to look at the distance (11340 miles R/T) and your fare class, not how much you paid. The cheapest economy fare classes earn MQD's at 5% of the mileage which would equal 567 MQD's for the trip. You'll need to use the MQD earning column in the chart to figure out which percentage applies based on your fare class.
Thanks for the clarification, LBJ. For these type of bookings, the "D" in MQD aren't really qualifying dollars spent, however an amount is derived on the miles distance * fare class % factor.
I was thrown off because I thought the purpose was to peg spending. For some fare classes, some can get more MQDs from Air France than booking through Delta, and some less (5% on lowest economy class).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:05 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
So I'm traveling in 2 months and just got an email notification.

Originally I have a AF 057 stock ticket with AF3597 JFK-BCN (operated by DL476) on N class.

The new ticket (still AF stock) now dropped the AF market code and is instead DL476 in T class. I checked the air france site and the code share is still available, but they changed the number to AF3564 instead.

Question, give my non status on DL am I correct that the DL coded flight will now earn much less RDM (based on spend rather than distance)? Is my best course of action to call in and get them to change back to the AF coded flight? There's no change in schedule time so I'm not sure how it may work out.

Is there any other benefit with this AF to DL change? The only thing positive I think is if I go with a status challenge it'll get me temporary lounge access and extra baggage at JFK.

Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jix
So I'm traveling in 2 months and just got an email notification.

Originally I have a AF 057 stock ticket with AF3597 JFK-BCN (operated by DL476) on N class.

The new ticket (still AF stock) now dropped the AF market code and is instead DL476 in T class. I checked the air france site and the code share is still available, but they changed the number to AF3564 instead.

Question, give my non status on DL am I correct that the DL coded flight will now earn much less RDM (based on spend rather than distance)? Is my best course of action to call in and get them to change back to the AF coded flight? There's no change in schedule time so I'm not sure how it may work out.

Is there any other benefit with this AF to DL change? The only thing positive I think is if I go with a status challenge it'll get me temporary lounge access and extra baggage at JFK.

Thanks

Without knowing how much you paid for your ticket, no one can say which will earn more. An AF N fare on an 057 ticket only earns 50% mileage flown and 50% of 3800 miles (JFK-BCN distance) is only 1900 miles. If the base fare +YQ is $400 or more, you would earn more with a DL marketed flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.