FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   717 headroom (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1671602-717-headroom.html)

sethb Apr 22, 2015 10:16 am

[QUOTE=BiggAW;24665683They serve the entire CONUS with the exception of a chunk of Montana and North Dakota from far fewer airports than the legacy carriers do, meaning more passengers per airport.[/QUOTE]

And longer travel to/from the airport.

Right. That's because those cities don't have a large enough market for commercial mainline air service, and shouldn't have commercial air service.
How profitable is the airline you run? Maybe they don't need "mainline" air service, but what does that have to do with "shouldn't have commercial air service"? Should there be no commercial air service other than mainline? Why not?

There is no reason to have service to Alpena, MI or Pellston, MI. I've driven by the Pellston airport, it's a JOKE.
Your inability to find a reason does not control anybody else's decisions.

DL serves Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, neither of which should have any air service. There is a boat that goes there. They have service to White Plains, which should not have commercial service, they are served by EWR, JFK, and LGA.
Are you going to teleport people who live in Westchester from the airports you prefer to the area they want to fly to? Or should other people be inconvenience because you have bogus opinions?

If Delta would get rid of their regional flights and fly all 717's and larger, they would have enough slots at JFK to consolidate their LGA, JFK, and EWR operations together into JFK, and still cut the total number of flights in and out of there significantly.
Thereby making things less convenient for their customers and losing them money.

sethb Apr 22, 2015 10:18 am

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24666046)
Some only fly to LGA today. Also, it's really hard to get to LGA, which is why I've never flown out of there. From CT, JFK is easy, you just go on the E train to Jamaica and AirTrain from there. For LGA, you either have to take the M60 from 125th or, IIRC, the Q70 from the 7, neither of which looks like a good deal. I guess I should just learn the bus system and suck it up and do the 7/Q70 route.

How credible is someone who doesn't even know that the Q70 connects to the E train, and (from Manhattan) E to Q70 to LGA is faster than E to SkyTrain to JFK?

sethb Apr 22, 2015 10:40 am

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24666116)
The very least the government should do if they're not going to clean up the regional mess entirely would be to outlaw regionals flying jets around that are painted for other airlines. If some rinky-dink airline wants to fly around, they can ticket through a legacy operator, but they should have to clearly ID the flight with their name and their logos.

And then the travel sites should offer easy options to only search for mainline flights, which would make finding mainline flights a lot easier. Of course for domestic US travel, it's pretty easy to just skip the travel sites and go directly to flysouthwest.com, so the legacy carriers just miss out on that entirely.

Or maybe the airlines should do what they think works best rather than what you want.

sethb Apr 22, 2015 10:46 am

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24683495)
If the American people, as a whole, especially those in the big hub cities, got to vote on it, and actually understood the situation, I think it would come out overwhelmingly to streamline the operations and cut off the small rinky-dink routes to de-congest and increase [seat] capacity at the big hubs by decreasing the total number of aircraft operations.

The American people do get to vote on it. With their wallets. And the airlines count the votes.

Your opinion lost.

sethb Apr 22, 2015 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24695526)
No one NEEDS regional airports.

Need is defined relative to a goal. In order for me to get to my destination in an acceptable (to me) amount of time at an acceptable (to me) cost, I sometimes need to fly to a regional airport.

Someone else might not. That's fine.

We all vote with our wallets. The airlines make the decisions.

sethb Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24682170)
It's just not economical to serve an airport unless you can drop 12+ 737's in a day, and average 75% load factor on that capacity. The overhead is just too high to handle any fewer than those 1500+ passengers in and out of the airport each day. Any airport that can't support those volumes at a bare minimum should be cut off of the US commercial map.

How profitable is the airline you manage? You didn't answer that last time I asked.

Down3Green Apr 22, 2015 11:03 am

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cf7c9d8cd5.jpg

Tibs Apr 22, 2015 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 24703883)
Need is defined relative to a goal. In order for me to get to my destination in an acceptable (to me) amount of time at an acceptable (to me) cost, I sometimes need to fly to a regional airport.

Someone else might not. That's fine.

We all vote with our wallets. The airlines make the decisions.

+1

While I can drive/shuttle to Atlanta in almost the same time to go to the airport, board, etc and fly there from Chattanooga, the convenience to fly outweighs the commute - now that its mainline that is.

I will do a two hour layover in Atlanta if it gets me a mainline from Chattanooga versus driving down there. I actually enjoy roaming around the terminals between flights. Not everyone is like me.

Hence I vote with my wallet.

beachmouse Apr 22, 2015 11:52 am

My local airport is effectively owned by the Department of Defense- civilian air terminal operates on leased land and runways are provided by Eglin AFB giving X number of landing slots as generally below market rates per day.

3 of the 4 carriers who operate flights out of VPS go the turboprop/RJ route. The Air Force likes this because it provides competition and an enhanced number of destinations when they've got personnel who need to fly commercial, which is quite often.

So if the Air Force likes the small local planes instead of telling Our Troops they need to drive to Birmingham or New Orleans to catch a flight for 'proper' commercial service, who are you to criticize? Do you hate our troops?

Do you hate America?

(Am I having too much fun with this?)

us2 Apr 22, 2015 12:12 pm

My quick take from all this before someone hopefully euthanizes this thread is the following:

1. Delta, which made a half a billion dollars in 1Q 2015 is irrational according to the OP;

2. I'm an idiot for wanting service, out of and between places like MVY. PSP and JAC according to the OP;

3. The OP would have made a fine head of the Ministry of Air Transport;

4. Southwest Airlines is the ultimate arbiter of all that is right and reasonable in providing air service notwithstanding the fact that it is, like Delta, a profit-seeking entity;

5. Beachmouse has a wicked sense of humor;

6. Down3Green also has a wicked sense of humor.

JohnnyRockets Apr 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Wow!!!!
Debate about 717 headroom that spans soon to be 10 pages.

Here is a candy for the troll.

I agree with you that JFK/LGA are over congested.
I-95 is also over congested. Should we recommend WN start operating buses on I-95 and ban all personal vehicles????:) I'm pretty sure all the bus stop will be well within 3 hours from one's residence.

sethb Apr 22, 2015 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse (Post 24704226)
(Am I having too much fun with this?)

Yes. Please continue.

DLdweeb Apr 22, 2015 1:26 pm

IBTL.....

IflyfromABE Apr 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BiggAW (Post 24695526)
No one NEEDS regional airports.

Alright, I'll bite.

a. Based on your argument, given that BDL and PVD are also regional airports (serving a region not that much more populated than HVN or DE), according to your logic, they should be shut as well. Have fun flying out of JFK or BOS then.

b. Other than the fact, that it will be a horrible business decision, what you are saying will cost just about a few million jobs and congest the (even more congested than airspace) highway and train system. Lovely. Let's congest communing to downtowns even more...

c. Helping a bit with facts. From seatguru.com:

Y only

Southwest
73G: pitch 31, width 17
738: pitch 32-33, width 17

DL - regional

CRJ2/7/900 & ERJ145: pitch 31-34, width 17.3
ERJ 170/5: pitch 31-34, width 18.25

DL - mainline

717: pitch 31-34, width 18.1
738: pitch 31-32-34, width 17.2

So the regional DL jets "you don't fit" have actually at least equal if not more room than the cattlecall 738s and more room than the 73G. Comparing mainline planes between WN and DL is ridiculously favorable to DL...

Got to do some fact checking before...

NWAsilvELITE Apr 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I hear you, flew on one DTW-EWR last week and sat in C+. Went to stand up and WHACK, hit my head on the friggin' seat number thing that sticks out of the underside of the oh bin.

I am also 6'5, 280# (working on getting that down, too) and haven't hit my head in a while on a plane, but that smarted a little. :mad: