Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to M class for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Corganbr
Has anyone bought up to M fare to use miles to upgrade?
I'm flying BWI-ATL-GRU-ATL-BWI. And would only want to upgrade the return, can I buy up to M after I fly the outbound? Thanks.
I tried something similar. Wanted to upgrade the domestic portion of my trip to Brazil (SEA-JFK-GRU-JFK-SEA) but the agent said it wasn't possible. They wanted to reprice the entire itinerary to an M fare and then use miles. Ended up upgrading to a cheaper business class fare a few months after buying my economy class ticket.

Not sure if it's possible to upgrade the outbound only.

Last edited by CDR9317; Apr 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've had no problems calling in to do this on a separate credit card. Have yet to reach a single agent that had any issue when I say, "I just booked a ticket to XYZ and had to make the purchase in coach due to business expense policy, but would like to pay the difference separately to move into First/Business class."

I usually do this the same day that I make the initial purchase, though, and I am changing cabins, not just fare class, so YMMV if you're doing it after the fact. But I have to imagine that if you do it right away, they can just process the additional collection or, at worst, use the 24h rule and a split payment to rebook you into the higher fare class.
Thanks gooselee. I'll give it a shot the next time the situation presents itself.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.