Search

Short layover at SLC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:02 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Short layover at SLC

I’m quite new to DL this year after having many years at UA as an elite. Have gradually left UA for many of the same exact reasons that people here complain about DL. After one flight the only difference I can see is that the food is much better (and people friendlier) at the SLC lounge than any UA lounge. Have no DL status yet but hope to soon.

Have an upcoming flight (5/10) to AMS booked at DL website a few months ago. My concern is that there is only a 32 minute layover at SLC but it is on a Sunday. Was checking alternatives today for the fun of it and DL website will not produce that routing now in spite of the fact that there are plenty of seats shown on SLC-AMS. I’m not overly concerned as we have some cushion after arrival there and would be glad to pick up some vouchers if we’re rerouted. Am I setting us up for problems?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS
As long as nothing happens, you should be fine. SLC is a great airport to transfer in since everything is really close.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RK7
I’m not overly concerned as we have some cushion after arrival there and would be glad to pick up some vouchers if we’re rerouted. Am I setting us up for problems?
Don't expect vouchers unless your in-bound delay is a mechanical.

If your connection doesn't meet MCT it's likely agents will refuse to check a bag.

There's a lengthy SLC Minimum Connect Time thread. The airport is fairly compact and DL has a good on-time record at SLC.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
32 minutes is plenty of time at SLC. You can walk from the end of B to the end of E with that connection time. It's such a well run airport.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Just to echo what others have said here, assuming you are not late landing, you should make your connection without issue. Only thing that might slow you down is if your inbound flight is a regional jet with plane-side service for your carry on. If you come in to the awful regional jet concourse and have to wait 15 minutes for your bag, you could find yourself running to your gate.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:53 pm
formerly known as RK7
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Thanks everyone. I now see my cause for concern... Official layover time has been reduced to 27 minutes. Coming in on a A320 so should not be too much of a schlep to outbound to AMS.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
27 should be okay for a C to D connection. I did a slight jog and made it from D9 to B12 in 11 minutes with a trip to the restroom tossed in not too long ago.

Delta also seems to have some extra padding in their turns.

BTW, when you come back do you clear US customs in SLC? SLC was amazing in clearing when I did CDG-SLC-LAX last year.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Flights to SLC are routinely 15-20 minutes early. Most likely you will be fine.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:50 pm

I agree with the posters above. 80-90% chance you will be fine.

But, if you are coming in to SLC from an airport with lots of daily flights to SLC I think you could call Delta and get on earlier flight with a longer layover without a change fee (especially if you connection got shorter with a schedule change). And ... you'd sleep better the night before you left :-)

Happydad
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would probably try to get an earlier flight into SLC. There are a very limited number of options to get to AMS the same day if you miss the SLC flight. You won't get much, if any, in the way of vouchers (particularly if it's weather/ATC related) for a missed connection (it's not the same as a bump situation). Quite likely they will just throw a few miles at you.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 27, 2015 at 6:02 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:31 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RK7
Thanks everyone. I now see my cause for concern... Official layover time has been reduced to 27 minutes. Coming in on a A320 so should not be too much of a schlep to outbound to AMS.
You should be able to get a change to an earlier flight for free as 27 minutes is under the MTC for Domestic to International at SLC. The minimum connection time is 30 minutes.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .40 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .40 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
DL-DL DI .40 CANADA - ALL
DL-DL DI .30
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by LBJ
I would probably try to get an earlier flight into SLC. ...
Originally Posted by TTT
You should be able to get a change to an earlier flight for free as 27 minutes is under the MTC for Domestic to International at SLC. The minimum connection time is 30 minutes. ...
based on OP's profile location I'm guessing at the originating city, but the current booking is on a 140pm departure and the only earlier flight to SLC is at 615am

108pm departure (51 minute connection in MSP, which should be no problem at all) arrives about the same time; if OP wants to stay on the same 140pm flight into SLC, there's SLC-MSP that connects with MSP-AMS arriving two hours later
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by RK7
Originally Posted by TTT
You should be able to get a change to an earlier flight for free as 27 minutes is under the MTC for Domestic to International at SLC. The minimum connection time is 30 minutes.

Minimum Connect Times
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .40 1.00 1.00 1.00
OFFLINE .40 1.00 1.00 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
DL-DL DI .40 CANADA - ALL
DL-DL DI .30
+1

I too suggest that you check for alternatives. There are DL US-AMS flights from many airports throughout the US.

Because your ticket is now less than the minimum connect time, you are entitled to have Delta change it for free. You don't have to connect via SLC - check what's available (doesn't matter what is the current price, all that matters is that the new route has seats) and propose the new routing to a Delta phone agent. They should change you to the entirely new routing for free.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:14 pm

Hello,

I am thinking of booking a flight with Delta from JFK - YVR with a 50minutes layover in SLC.

Depart JFK 7am - Arrive SLC 10:10 am
50 minutes layover
Depart SLC 11am to YVR.

I don't have to pick up luggage and clear custom again at SLC right? so 50minutes should be enough time? (assume JFK flight arrives on time).

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.