Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would literally laugh at anyone that used some passive aggressive device like that. If you want to use a clipboard or your laptop to deny yourself the armrest, that's cool, but if you're going to actually attach a purpose-built device to "solve" a "problem" that can 99% of the time be resolved with a simple request to your seatmate, then you deserve to be made fun of.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pvn
I would literally laugh at anyone that used some passive aggressive device like that. If you want to use a clipboard or your laptop to deny yourself the armrest, that's cool, but if you're going to actually attach a purpose-built device to "solve" a "problem" that can 99% of the time be resolved with a simple request to your seatmate, then you deserve to be made fun of.
Not everyone is that polite and considerate. Some people feel the need to assert their control of the surroundings, and claiming the arm rest is one way to that. In some cases, confrontation will actually cause them to become even more passive-aggressive about it.

As the saying goes, if it looks stupid but works, it's not stupid.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
I agree that it's kind of ridiculous to buy something for 40 bucks that a 15 buck Moleskine can do just as well, plus you can write or draw in it.
But still I'd rather hear you laughing than get your chicken wing poking me in my ribs.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Howste
I think I just found a new jacket to wear on the plane:

Enjoy your trek through security, Howste.

I actually saw some joker with similar heavy metal gear on pants, shirt, jacket, ears, lips, tongue trying to go through once. He'd been there 7 minutes of so by the time I got through, and they were still wanding him after several iterations of removals.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 49holding
I am 62 and DH is 65 we don't consider us OLD .. I chuckle when I read a headline such as Elderly woman mugged and then read the article and find out this elderly woman is 63 years old...Newspaper journalists must be kids LOL
If it helps any, to me both you and your husband are young punk kids.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was an inadvertent seat poacher last night. Sat in 1C on an MD88 and was actually in 1D. I was in 1C on the previous flight as well and just had a brain fart.
Lady boarded after me in 1C and said she prefers the window and asked if she coud take it. She actually thanked me for poaching her seat.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
If it helps any, to me both you and your husband are young punk kids.
Last year and this I'm doing river cruises which tend to have more people over 40 or 50. Very few, if any, younger people on board.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
Dad and 5 year old....just get comfy in my seat. NOT. If you want to switch, ask first, don't squat.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Originally Posted by 49holding
I am 62 and DH is 65 we don't consider us OLD .. I chuckle when I read a headline such as Elderly woman mugged and then read the article and find out this elderly woman is 63 years old...Newspaper journalists must be kids LOL

PS for the record we would never try to use our advanced age to switch out of a middle seat....To keep parents with small children together I will always switch my seat to wherever
I thought the same thing, 60 isn't old,,,,it's middle aged
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Had an exit aisle. The guy next to me politely but firmly ask me to swap seats with his wife and the FA nods her head and says it would be nice of me. I was flummoxed just for a second and replied that I liked my seat but that I was sure his wife's seat mate would have no problem switch with him. His brazen reply was I am not sitting back there. I replied neither am I.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by jascp
Had an exit aisle. The guy next to me politely but firmly ask me to swap seats with his wife and the FA nods her head and says it would be nice of me. I was flummoxed just for a second and replied that I liked my seat but that I was sure his wife's seat mate would have no problem switch with him. His brazen reply was I am not sitting back there. I replied neither am I.
Wow...that's intense of the guy to have that response!

Good on you for keeping your seat and standing your ground.

My guess is the FA was hoping you'd comply to stop the DYKWIA from blowing his top.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by kop84
Wow...that's intense of the guy to have that response!

Good on you for keeping your seat and standing your ground.

My guess is the FA was hoping you'd comply to stop the DYKWIA from blowing his top.
Agree with all, although I would not be happy about the FA trying to pressure me into swapping my exit aisle seat for something "back there."

jascp: so what happened -- did everyone remain in their assigned seats?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Agree with all, although I would not be happy about the FA trying to pressure me into swapping my exit aisle seat for something "back there."

jascp: so what happened -- did everyone remain in their assigned seats?
I wouldn't appreciate it either. But I do appreciate that the FA just wants no (outward) complaints and an on time departure. She probably sized up that he wouldn't make nearly as big a fuss as the guy demanding the swap...IME people who are that brazen are also likely to have a very short fuse to people refusing their "requests". Then you have problems and especially since now everyone's looking to make everything that happens on a plane go viral, they need to be extra cautious.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by kop84
I wouldn't appreciate it either. But I do appreciate that the FA just wants no (outward) complaints and an on time departure. She probably sized up that he wouldn't make nearly as big a fuss as the guy demanding the swap...IME people who are that brazen are also likely to have a very short fuse to people refusing their "requests". Then you have problems and especially since now everyone's looking to make everything that happens on a plane go viral, they need to be extra cautious.
EXACTAMODO!!!

They are making a choice to mistreat the passenger who would offer the lease resistance.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Woman on my flight yesterday took my colleague's seat in F. She was just sitting there wrapped up in the blanket. When I told her I believed that was my colleague's seat (he had aisle, and I had the window, so I got there first), she simply stood up and said she just thought she would sit there and didn't really know where her seat was. She was not in F and after talking to the FA for several minutes, she made the walk to someplace in the back of the bus. It was an odd situation. She didn't seem mentally unstable -- just thought she could sit wherever she wanted. But she boarded with PREM, so she was either a DM or the GA just let her go when she approached the podium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.