Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta back in the day: demanded subsidies!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh, the irony!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,2299066&hl=en
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
They do this all the time (though mostly from local governments/chamber of commerce). Revenue guarantees are a part of the business.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Found more implicating material: http://consumertraveler.com/today/af...for-taxpayers/
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Revenue guarantees are a part of the business.
As is hypocrisy and incessant whining.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Such subsidies, tax breaks, free land, and other sweetheart deals are far from limited to the airlines.

Grow corn for ethanol or raise cows for milk and get a subsidy. Don't grow a crop and get a subsidy. Build your distribution center or factory here and get tons of free stuff. Heck, did I not read that oil companies get $4B a year? etc etc etc .........
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RjOllos
As is hypocrisy and incessant whining.
Yup. In my opinion, businesses whining about being disadvantaged is just noise. Something I can tune out pretty easily.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Using an example from before the dismantling of the CAB, which regulated both fares and service, is more than a little silly. Surely you could find something better.

The second link is a bit problematic in that the ME3 carriers also pay no sales tax on jet fuel in CA, municipal bonds are used to fund improvements to international terminals too, and the PBGC is not funded by regular tax revenues but as an insurance pool.

There must be better examples to prove the point, no?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Using an example from before the dismantling of the CAB, which regulated both fares and service, is more than a little silly. Surely you could find something better.

The second link is a bit problematic in that the ME3 carriers also pay no sales tax on jet fuel in CA, municipal bonds are used to fund improvements to international terminals too, and the PBGC is not funded by regular tax revenues but as an insurance pool.

There must be better examples to prove the point, no?
You're welcome to use Google to contribute, instead of attacking the messenger.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:20 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
No chance. The poster believes Delta can do no wrong. Also is a shareholder so that taints the view too.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Or you could have entered into a conversation about why you thought the post was wrong in pointing out a few facts were his post is in error. I guessing you don't have any though since you immediately went on the attack.

Would love to see an intelligent response from you in response to the post
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:30 pm
Suspended

You are the one that seems concerned, so not sure why it should be up to me to prove your case.

And, for the record, I did not attack the messenger, but rather pointed out specific flaws in the message. I struggle to understand how you could mistake that for attacking the messenger.

Last edited by pbarnette; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:35 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
No chance. The poster believes Delta can do no wrong. Also is a shareholder so that taints the view too.
I don't own any shares of DL. I recognize that facts aren't overly important to you, but I'd appreciate if you didn't fabricate things about me.

Integrity should matter to people. It is sad it doesn't matter to you.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Such subsidies, tax breaks, free land, and other sweetheart deals are far from limited to the airlines.

Grow corn for ethanol or raise cows for milk and get a subsidy. Don't grow a crop and get a subsidy. Build your distribution center or factory here and get tons of free stuff. Heck, did I not read that oil companies get $4B a year? etc etc etc .........
The obverse of this is that you can't grow certain otherwise legal crops without a government license, such as peanuts, or that you have to sell your crop to a designated combine (I think fruits such as raisins and prunes are subject to this; in Canada, farmers have to sell their wheat to a provincial "pool"). Another example is the law in Georgia that mandates that microbreweries must sell their product only to distributors, and cannot directly deal with the public. There have been stories about how Georgia's corrupt lieutenant governor Cagle, who is also the president of the state Senate, has taken over $100,000 from the alcoholic beverage industry to prevent a bill favorable to microbreweries to reach the state senate floor.

This is known as crony capitalism. It explains why regulated industries such as Delta have such large and largely successful government relations operations both in Washington and in key state capital cities.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't own any shares of DL. I recognize that facts aren't overly important to you, but I'd appreciate if you didn't fabricate things about me.

Integrity should matter to people. It is sad it doesn't matter to you.
^

Back in the day, DL served hot meals to all coach passengers.

Back in the day, DL had nonstop MIA-CHI service with the DC4

The two facts above are as relevant as the pre CAB examples used in this post.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The key to success is cooperation. The US3 should cooperate with the ME3. Let the ME3 handle longhaul flying and the US3 handle domestic/Mexico/Canada/Caribbean.

Business class on Emirates frequently costs less than coach on Delta. Delta just can't or is unwilling to compete. DL is making billions but yet they refuse to invest in their product and service. As the old saying goes, if you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.