Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQDs & comp upgrades... Lists longer or shorter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM

I know it's only been a couple weeks, but for those of you who fly a lot has anyone noticed if they are getting more or less complimentary upgrades via your status? Supposively the MQDs were supposed to thin the heard, however I have yet to take a trip since March 1, let alone this calendar year, and was curious if the MQDs are having the effect Delta thought it would. Another thing, with a lot more FCM happening I'm curious if that now eats up first class seats all the "pre MQD" elites got prior to March 1?

OPS 5
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:55 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I've seen longer lists due to FCM and less window upgrades. Not sure how to differentiate that with the 'thinning of the herds' though.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE

MQDs were never going to thin the herd (maybe a tiny hanfull of people, quickly/easily replaced by FCM). It's a marketing ploy.

My experience has been longer and longer UG lists. I have no proof, but I blame it on FCM (when I don't benefit from FCM 😉 and more battlefield UG. In addition, a lot of my common routes end up on the 739 (they used to be 757, so that's a significant drop in FC seats).
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever

0 for 6 Jan and Feb, 1 for 1 so far in March.
all on same route, RSW to DTW and back.
My 1 for 1 was however on the first leg of a "high" price U fare.
Got battlefield Upgrade, in fact was #2 of 10. never was that high up on list.
My second leg is coming up this Thursday. flying MSP to RSW on a 20 seat F 739. Not to optimistic on this one, paid for C+ in advance for this leg. I am still a lowly FO.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
My SJC and SFO flights upgrade lists have only been in the 30's. They were 40's/50's/60's up until March 1st.

LAX flight last week was at 36 or something.

So i am seeing lower numbers
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MNAudiS4
My SJC and SFO flights upgrade lists have only been in the 30's. They were 40's/50's/60's up until March 1st.

LAX flight last week was at 36 or something.

So i am seeing lower numbers
Could be normal annual elite churn, though, as well.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Interesting.... maybe the herd has thinned out a little bit.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Funny how many ppl think the whole effort to 'thin the herd' will actually benefit any pax. Its just a way for DL to make more money by having less elites getting things that DL can charge you for. At the same time, they are aggressive with FCM so even if you have 50% less pax on the list, there are many less available seats since they're selling them. End result is the same... you sit in the back or pay to sit up front.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by OnTheSlopes
MQDs were never going to thin the herd (maybe a tiny hanfull of people, quickly/easily replaced by FCM). It's a marketing ploy.
I don't expect DL to publish number of elites by level, nor to announce how many achieved that using MQD waivers by Amex products, but, generally, evidence has worth.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Beginning of the year was tough, no upgrades SEA -> east coast. But starting three weeks ago, all the upgrades have landed for me. K, M, B fare.

Connecting flights on east coast, never been an issue from year start. All upgrades came in for the short her connecting flight.

From this little DM insignificant experiment its virtually no statistical influence at all I read "better upgrade chance" LOL

-ok
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
I was 2 for 4 on window upgrades as an FO on a cheap fare last weekend - certainly better than my normal batting average
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
1 upgrade for 6 flights. Used to always be #2-4 on upgrade list but now # 4-9.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
1 for 12 this year out of MSP as GM. From what I can see, the herd has grown. Brutal. At least I get my C+. Can't complain too much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.