Wiki Posts
Search

Old planes bring new safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM

Little was said about Delta's recent snow landing glitch at LGA that ended in an emergency evac through starboard window exits where emergency slides failed to deploy. The only one I heard acknowledging the slide failure is the Port Authority spokesperson who gave one of the first joint press conference.

As DL's cost-saving operation has the airline slapping fresh paint on old aircraft such as the 25 year old MD88 that ran off runway, does it have you asking if anything else on these older aircraft are not working?

Aircraft safety analysts say that thorough maintenance of older aircraft make them as safe as new ones. Do you agree? Is there a deeper need to look more closely at the recently added older aircraft in DL's fleet?

(For Capts and FOs) If given the choice would an experienced pilot prefer flying a new aircraft versus a tried and true proven 25 year old one?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
The guys I know who fly MD88s like them. They have gotten a number of upgrades. Delta retired the older DC9s recently.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Little was said about Delta's recent snow landing glitch at LGA that ended in an emergency evac through starboard window exits where emergency slides failed to deploy. The only one I heard acknowledging the slide failure is the Port Authority spokesperson who gave one of the first joint press conference.
It'll be interesting to see if the NTSB report says the slides failed or why they weren't used -- from what I've seen there may not have been enough space to safely get people safely off on the other side.

Bob H
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

As DL's cost-saving operation has the airline slapping fresh paint on old aircraft such as the 25 year old MD88 that ran off runway, does it have you asking if anything else on these older aircraft are not working?

Aircraft safety analysts say that thorough maintenance of older aircraft make them as safe as new ones. Do you agree? Is there a deeper need to look more closely at the recently added older aircraft in DL's fleet?

(For Capts and FOs) If given the choice would an experienced pilot prefer flying a new aircraft versus a tried and true proven 25 year old one?
Well since it appears you want to extrapolate this one event across the board, here is one for you to consider....

Was flying ATL / Seattle flight about a month ago on a brand new 737-900 maiden passenger flight. There were a number of announcements about her being a brand new bird.....and then they could not get the flight control computer to boot up. Mechanics are called and almost two hours later it is working and off to the ramp they go.....and then when in the conga line the computer crashes and will not reboot.

So back to the gate they go to switch birds. Keep in mind that this is a brand new bird. I had jumped off and on to a connection through MSP within minutes of the computer going down. I guess this proves they should never fly a brand new bird.....

The statics over the years do not justify the question in the first place...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If the OP can point to peer-reviewed studies that show a correlation between aircraft age* and a statistically significant increase in in-flight safety issues (not just more maintenance) there will be something to talk about.

* Chronological age, flight hours, or cycles -- any or all
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Hmmm... 25 year old MD-88 or brand new Airbus anything? no-brainer. I'll take the MD-88, thanks. I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing there are pitot tube heaters and flight control systems that reliably accept and act upon PIC inputs

Of course, that's just me. YMMV
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:43 am

Little was said about Delta's recent snow landing glitch at LGA that ended in an emergency evac through starboard window exits where emergency slides failed to deploy.
AFAIK no window exits that are passenger operated have emergency slides - including new aircraft like 737s and A320s. Maybe that's the reason little was said -- the statement was in error.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Old aircraft are just as "safe" as new ones if maintained properly. I regularly fly a piper cub that's more than 50 years old.

In some cases, newer aircraft have problems of their own (i.e. 787 batteries) that haven't been identified yet.

Originally Posted by BobH
It'll be interesting to see if the NTSB report says the slides failed or why they weren't used -- from what I've seen there may not have been enough space to safely get people safely off on the other side.

Bob H
More importantly, there were reports of fuel leaking on that side and the wing (that pax would have to climb on) was significantly damaged. Two reasons not to use that side.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
More importantly, there were reports of fuel leaking on that side and the wing (that pax would have to climb on) was significantly damaged. Two reasons not to use that side.
Also, door 1R opened up right onto the seawall, so it was not used either.

The only exits that were used were the right side windows and the tail cone. For all we know, the tail exit's slide was disengaged prior to them leaving, since it wasn't a rush.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:36 am

I didn't think the MD 88 had slides at the window exits. Airbus have them but none of the older a/c do. Even our older 737's didn't have slides at the windows.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I don't believe the OP is correct. The front doors could not be used, as they would have led to a direct trip into Flushing Bay. The left side door would have opened into a fuel spill. So you're left with window exits that don't have slides and the tail cone. My understanding is the tail exit was not usable because of the angle of the plane. In other words, passengers exited through the safest available exits.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I don't believe the OP is correct. The front doors could not be used, as they would have led to a direct trip into Flushing Bay. The left side door would have opened into a fuel spill. So you're left with window exits that don't have slides and the tail cone. My understanding is the tail exit was not usable because of the angle of the plane. In other words, passengers exited through the safest available exits.
First class got the water view... I like it.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Not at all. I am convinced that DL runs a safe airline.

Another little anecdote on the 737-900. Was flying SEA-ATL when the captain announced the bird was less than a week old. So new that the servicing folks couldn't figure out how to open a panel in the F lav to refill some towels. So unfamiliar they were that they broke a panel and there wasn't a replacement panel to be found. Keep in mind they make these planes a few miles away. So, the crew could use the F lav but the F passengers had to schlep back to the lavs in the rear of coach. This for a 4.5 hour flight. Now that's a walk of shame.

I'll take a mad dog, 757, or 767 over anything coming off the line.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Wow - what an ignorant statement.

No MD-80 variant (not the DC-9, not the MD-90, not the B-717) comes with slides that deploy from the overwing exists.

There was no failure, except for the OP's assumptions.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Hmmm... 25 year old MD-88 or brand new Airbus anything? no-brainer. I'll take the MD-88, thanks. I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing there are pitot tube heaters and flight control systems that reliably accept and act upon PIC inputs

Of course, that's just me. YMMV
^. Agreed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.