Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Handling of comfort+ seats vacated by those upgraded to F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Silver, SPG P+

I recognize this as a long standing problem, but I am wondering if there is a "rule" for how gate agents are supposed to handle this:

When someone with an EC/comfort+ seat gets upgraded to F, I've never seen the vacated seat go to another person on the upgrade list. Instead, I've watched time after time someone be cleared off the standby list into the EC seat.

Now that the comfort+ seats get better in-flight amenities like booze and the snack basket (instead of just a modestly more comfortable seat), coupled with the T-24 rule on GM booking these seats for free, this is really starting to irritate me.

It seems like they should sequentially run upgrades for the two different upgraded cabins, and THEN process the standby list. Am I nuts? It sure doesn't seem like that's what happens.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Remember, there is a good chance the first few people cleared from the UG list are D/P/GM who could not SDC but instead SB.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by heldicus
I recognize this as a long standing problem, but I am wondering if there is a "rule" for how gate agents are supposed to handle this:

When someone with an EC/comfort+ seat gets upgraded to F, I've never seen the vacated seat go to another person on the upgrade list. Instead, I've watched time after time someone be cleared off the standby list into the EC seat.
This isn't exactly a new problem. I'm not sure whether you're saying it's a continuation or something new/exacerbated by the March 1 rule.

Now that the comfort+ seats get better in-flight amenities like booze and the snack basket (instead of just a modestly more comfortable seat), coupled with the T-24 rule on GM booking these seats for free, this is really starting to irritate me.
GMs can book in at T-72. FO is at T-24.

It seems like they should sequentially run upgrades for the two different upgraded cabins, and THEN process the standby list. Am I nuts? It sure doesn't seem like that's what happens.
Provided you're a qualified for the C+ seat, the GAs handle this, I think, just as any seat change request. If you talk to the GA prior to them clearing the UG list and ask them politely if you could get an C+ seat during the process of clearing UGs and standby PAX I don't see why they wouldn't attempt to accommodate you if there is time to do so. Only situations in which I could see where they may not would be if the flight is completely full or going to be delayed and they just let the computer put people on the standby list into the remaining seats.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:46 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I understand your point, but lets say I am a DM who didn't get upgraded nor did I get a C+ seat but I did get an Exit Aisle. If I was automatically moved into a middle C+ I don't think I would be very happy.

There are too many what-ifs when having the automated process. It isn't like the upgrade list to F where it is generally accepted that F is better than any seat in Y. There are seats in Main Cabin that are better than some seats in C+ to at least some of the passengers on the plane.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Remember, there is a good chance the first few people cleared from the UG list are D/P/GM who could not SDC but instead SB.
How did they even get on the UG list if they SB'd?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
I understand your point, but lets say I am a DM who didn't get upgraded nor did I get a C+ seat but I did get an Exit Aisle. If I was automatically moved into a middle C+ I don't think I would be very happy.

There are too many what-ifs when having the automated process. It isn't like the upgrade list to F where it is generally accepted that F is better than any seat in Y. There are seats in Main Cabin that are better than some seats in C+ to at least some of the passengers on the plane.
Very fair counterpoint, but I've seen people refuse their F upgrade in order to remain in the back with a companion. I'd think that anyone could refuse the bump up to C+ if they had a more desirable seat in hand.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mother-
How did they even get on the UG list if they SB'd?
they meant cleared from the standby list, I assume. And that's true of course, medallions are going to come off the standby list into vacated C+ seats. But they don't have a more legitimate claim to those seats than other medallions who were already confirmed on the flight. Arguably less so.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by TTT

+1

Also, You're really looking at this from a narrow viewpoint. As TTT pointed out, there are many people who don't want their seat changed for a variety of reasons.
The Upgrade Standby List is prioritized on the basis of passenger status codes (46 when I last checked) and time stamps which go far beyond Medallion Status. It really isn't an option to integrate all Medallions who aren't already in F or C+ into the list. There's also no option for someone to opt out and certainly none for saying (as you probably would), "I'd like a C+ seat if one becomes available, but not a center."
It really is impossible for a GA who's trying to get a flight out on schedule, to take on the complexities involved. The numbers also get crazy. For example, the early red-eye SFO-ATL had 2 Medallions get UG's out of 40+ on the UG Standby List. There were then another 50 or so the Standby List, including 40 non-rev's (announced by the GA who wanted them to pay attention to having their manes called).
The GA's deserve great credit for getting the flight out on time AND, everyone on the Standby List Cleared. I don't think they'd have been too amenable to "I'd like a C+ seat if one becomes available, but not a center".
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
non-revs most likely will get the vacated C+ seats, especially if there isn't much time as gate agents will start clearing the standby list after UPG list.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
When not in F or in EC, I make a point of asking the gate agent for any vacated EC seat. I have never been turned down.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Once boarding has ocurred, the less movement the better. Closing the flight and an ontime push are the #1 priority.

If the relevant pax have not yet boarded, it's fine to ask the GA for a C+ seat from whatever inventory is created by UG's.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
non-revs most likely will get the vacated C+ seats, especially if there isn't much time as gate agents will start clearing the standby list after UPG list.
What makes you think that they will go to non-revs and not whoever is at the top of the standby list, or are you equating those who clear at the top of the standby list with non-revs?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:00 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
In the past what I've done is check the seat chart on my Delta app every few minutes as they started clearing UG's. When an EC seat opened up (other than a middle), I'd ask the GA for the specific seat. If there was a big line I couldn't do that, but it worked several times. Now I don't know what I can do. First of all, I think all the T-72, T-48 and T-24 for C+ is bogus, since with FCM most FC upgrades don't clear at the windows and don't happen until T-30 at the gate. At that time many C+ seats may open, but I don't know how the GA's are going to deal with all these people eligible for upgrades and eligible for C+ and be fair about rationing C+. I think DL is digging a hole they may not be able to get out of.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I agree with asking the Gate Agent.

If I don't clear for the Upgrade and happen to be in a seat less desirable I always approach the gate agent prior to boarding and politely ask that if a better seat comes up if they would mind changing me.

They have always obliged.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite

In the rare case I am already not in an EC or now EC+, once upgrades are complete I pull up the seat map on the app. If the seat opens I will move or go to the GA to then get moved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.