Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long standing loyalty taken for granted

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by motionguy
I did not consider that Delta would grant me the segment credit for a flight that I paid for but did not fly. Had I known it was that easy, I certainly would have done that.

I know that there are cutoffs for a reason, but there is also rewarding for loyalty. I've flown (almost exclusively) NW/Delta for 24 years. Had they not had mechanical issues with the segment run I scheduled, this would be a non-issue.

They could learn a thing or two about loyalty programs from Marriott. A couple of years I just missed Platinum and they gave it to me any way. I didn't even have to ask, that is proactive loyalty grooming. I am Marriott man to a fault, I'll drive 30 minutes out of my way to stay at Marriott property. I have since earned enough to be Marriott Platinum Lifetime.
That's not comparing apples to apples saying Marriott will provide a soft landing....with Marriott the benefits between Gold, Platinum and Platinum Premier really are no different, I've been all three....with Delta the benefits are hugely different between Gold, Platinum and Diamond...regardless of loyalty requiring you to actually fly the segments or miles in only fair to those that actually do.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
I did not consider that Delta would grant me the segment credit for a flight that I paid for but did not fly. Had I known it was that easy, I certainly would have done that.

I know that there are cutoffs for a reason, but there is also rewarding for loyalty. I've flown (almost exclusively) NW/Delta for 24 years. Had they not had mechanical issues with the segment run I scheduled, this would be a non-issue.

They could learn a thing or two about loyalty programs from Marriott. A couple of years I just missed Platinum and they gave it to me any way. I didn't even have to ask, that is proactive loyalty grooming. I am Marriott man to a fault, I'll drive 30 minutes out of my way to stay at Marriott property. I have since earned enough to be Marriott Platinum Lifetime.
Exceptions have been made in the recent past and not for a soft landing but a hard one!

It is a matter of getting to the right person. A starting place would be the leadership listing on Delta.com and who is who in the SkyMiles arena. Without naming names, it should be fairly straight forward.

Your loyalty history may very well matter - again - with the right person.

The only problem I see is the time factor as other have mentioned.

Good luck
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
I've ranted before about some of the things on various threads and as of next year I will be using consolidators or the best fare airline (after 40 years of loyalty to Delta, 30 to Amex, and Platinum for a decade or more). But my latest rant is about lies. I called Delta last night (and cannot find the thread where missing cards for 2015 had not yet appeared, so I apologize) to ask where my Platinum card is for 2015 since many DMs seem just recently to have gotten them and some Plats (including me) not at all). The elite rep told me my credentials were mailed January 5th (!!!) -- did any of you get you 2015 cards then??? Anyway, I called around 9pm last night EST, and received it in today's USPS. Not possible without priority, so all I can say is Delta is spinning things however they want about everything.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have to disagree with a lot of responders here - enforcing requirements is one thing but when OP tried to satisfy them and through no fault of his own couldn't, I don't think he should be penalized for it. Certainly, it's times like these that past history should be taken into account especially if flier has a 20+ year history and qualifies on segments, which is a lot harder than any other way.

Of course, that would assume that you're dealing with a loyalty program - with all the changes being made, you can't expect airlines to be in a giving mood these days - with all the so called devaluations taking place. So, they certainly won't go out of their way to do something for you unless they have to. And since you didn't meet the published requirements - they may try to convince you that your loyalty matters but in fact, those are just empty words.

Let me give you an example in a similar situation I experienced with United last year. I was about 5,000 miles short of reaching Platinum on United because of a mis-credited flight and a few ineligible ones. I ended up calling the United Premier line on December 29th and an agent/supervisor helped me add the flight that was credited to another program and subsequently removed and reviewed a few others I had taken but did not credit, so ultimately I ended up with 74,700+ miles, i. e. 300 miles short of the published requirement for Platinum. Given that I had a few TAM and Turkish flights ineligible for credit, she clearly saw that I had flown significantly throughout the year and told me she would grant me Platinum status due to an (un)official policy that every member within 750 miles of the next level gets awarded the higher status. I was very greatful and really enjoyed 1 particular perk it came with - no fees on award tickets. Thus, I can say that United can be a bit flexible sometimes - but not always. I'm hoping - for your sake - that Delta may have something similar in place that allow for people who are close but didn't quite make it to award the next level status anyway. I wouldn't give up if I were you. Keep trying and hopefully, you'll get someone who really cares. I believe that despite how many people may say No to you, you only need to find one to say Yes and you're all set. Good Luck!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
If an appeal does not yield success, I suggest packing your things and moving to Seattle, where you'll probably be targeted for a Medallion fast track promo in about three seconds.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Well I hope the OP does better with UA. I am a 1k based out of LAN and I am generally pretty happy with United (I used to fly Delta). UA has flown out of FNT for quite some time (but it was to Cleveland prior to the dehubbing) and the recent connection is to O'Hare.

I will say that you should expect to be stranded more often in ORD and to familiarize yourself with the Bluewater and Wolverine Amtrak schedule.

As to the granting of status - there is a thread in the United forum on how United does it. They will charge you a pretty penny for missing the needed miles/segments too.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by indufan
see the thing is that they have to draw the line someplace....and i would just assume they draw the line where they say they draw the line and they do that.
+1

Originally Posted by javabytes
if an appeal does not yield success, i suggest packing your things and moving to seattle, where you'll probably be targeted for a medallion fast track promo in about three seconds.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by jackplum

It is a matter of getting to the right person. A starting place would be the leadership listing on Delta.com and who is who in the SkyMiles arena. Without naming names, it should be fairly straight forward.

There is no one listed in the Corporate Leadership Team responsible for SkyMiles.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
There is no one listed in the Corporate Leadership Team responsible for SkyMiles.
Must have been that empty spot on the bottom right of that page.

Skymiles leader got removed as an enhancement
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:41 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I'm hoping - for your sake - that Delta may have something similar in place that allow for people who are close but didn't quite make it to award the next level status anyway.
It's been reported here that they used to do this, but did away with it when rollover MQMs started.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:52 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
They could learn a thing or two about loyalty programs from Marriott.
The difference, IMO, is that there are dozens, if not hundreds of hotel chains to spend your money at. There are only 3.5 large airlines left. [.5 being SW/WN, which of course doesn't count if you fly int'l]. They can do whatever they want. They know it. They'll lose a few. They'll gain replacements that AA & UA lost, and sooner or later, many will return simply when needs change, or they realize the DL product & service are better.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I have to disagree with a lot of responders here - enforcing requirements is one thing but when OP tried to satisfy them and through no fault of his own couldn't, I don't think he should be penalized for it. Certainly, it's times like these that past history should be taken into account especially if flier has a 20+ year history and qualifies on segments, which is a lot harder than any other way.
The OP waited until mid-December for the SR. Everyone should know -- much less the OP with 20+ yrs experience -- that Mx/Wx IROPS happen, maybe even more so flying out of Michigan.

And it's not like there weren't other flt options, just that the OP couldn't find anything he believed was "reasonable." Instead, he counted on 'loyalty' and DL let him down. Easy to understand how the OP feels but the outcome is no surprise. The airlines -- not DL, all the airlines -- own us, not the other way around. Lesson learned for others.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
The airlines -- not DL, all the airlines -- own us, not the other way around. Lesson learned for others.
^^ That is the biggest thing people need to understand. Some of us may have status, some may not, but in reality, we are all kettle until the airlines fortunes change.

OP, I understand where you are coming from, but the I'm not at all surprised by DL response. The landscape has changed and the days of yore are just that.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP had an easy solution, by wanted both his money back and credit for the flights. He could have had ORC for the asking, but chose the refund. Would have been a win-win. People ask all the time why they have to actually fly the tickets they purchase in order to earn credit and are told they can't. Here is an example of not having to fly the MR, but getting credit.

OP still ought to request ORC for the cancelled segments. It would be against what amounts to DL's seeming policy, but stranger things have happened. Just make the ORC request. Forget about the entire morose loyalty thing. "I purchased tickets on DL, the flights were cancelled, I want ORC."

Business relationships, and that is all this is, are cyclical. During the recession, DL needed the OP's of the world and showered them with all manner of perks. Now, there is less competition, the economy is on screech, capacity has been cut, people arew paying for F and so on. So, it's a tougher environment.

Anecdotal stories about who got a freebie off DL omit the fact that DL can see what you spend as well as what you flew. If you miss a level by 750 miles, but you fly paid BE or you are flagged as a decision-maker for a large corporate contract, granting you status is a no brainer. Segment flyer with small spend, not so much.

It's a good set of precautions for the future. Don't depend on the end of December to fix things.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES

I am Marriott man to a fault, I'll drive 30 minutes out of my way to stay at Marriott property. I have since earned enough to be Marriott Platinum Lifetime.
I am sure there is some kind of support group or therapy for this...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.