Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When does Delta Connection serve full meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:29 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)

Is there a minimum flight time or distance flown requirement for Delta Connection to serve full meals? Is the food served good? I have not flown on any Delta Connecrtion planes before.

What about serving hot meals?

Last edited by mkr; Feb 26, 2015 at 9:47 pm Reason: grammar correction
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
900+ miles just like mainline and only during meal times
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:15 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
What is the food like on Delta Connection? Do all planes, OR ANY planes with Delta connection have ovens so they can serve hot meals? I have not flown on Delta Connection before.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 26, 2015 at 7:24 am Reason: grammar correction
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Lots of posts. Lots of pics.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...hread-198.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
No ovens so it will be a cold meal but still decent. I've had a chicken orso salad which was healthy and good.....haven't seen that one in a while though
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:41 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

I looked through the thread to which I was referred. My question has still not been answered. Do all planes, or ANY planes, on Delta Connection have ovens so hot food may be served? I could not find this information on the Delta website.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 26, 2015 at 6:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mkr
I looked through the thread to which I was referred. My question has still not been answered. Do all planes, or ANY planes, on Delta Connection have ovens so hot food may be served? I could not find this information on the Delta website.

as the post above says no ovens.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:17 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Would there be any particular space problem in the galley on Delta Connection flights that prevents ovens from being installed? Why no ovens? I'm curious.
Does anyone know the answer,FOR SURE??
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mkr
Would there be any particular space problem in the galley on Delta Connection flights that prevents ovens from being installed? Why no ovens? I'm curious.
Ovens onboard are a significant source of extra weight. They have chosen to not install ovens or have them removed.

Two posts above know FOR SURE that there are no ovens. The reason I gave above is the reason why.

If you are traveling DL connection, you will have a cold meal if it is in meal time. Catering on DL domestic (exception LA/SFO-JFK) is nothing to get excited about.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
No oven, FOR SURE.
Cold meal, usually choice of sandwich or chicken salad. Special new can be ordered in advance, although IME, it requires a phone call.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by mkr
Your question has been answered at least three different people with direct experience. If you don't like the answers then write a nice letter to Delta and wait for them to tell you for sure.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:58 am
mkr
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Ovens onboard are a significant source of extra weight. They have chosen to not install ovens or have them removed.

Two posts above know FOR SURE that there are no ovens. The reason I gave above is the reason why.

If you are traveling DL connection, you will have a cold meal if it is in meal time. Catering on DL domestic (exception LA/SFO-JFK) is nothing to get excited about.
The question to which you responded was in regards to WHY there are no ovens. I asked if anyone knew WHY there were No ovens, FOR SURE. That was the first time I asked the question in this thread.

I thank you for your answer that it is because of weight reasons. I assume you have direct knowledge of this from someone inside Delta operations? Or is it just a speculation that you logically assumed?

How much can an oven weigh? Does anyone know from direct knowledge? Or is it just a speculation that you reached?

I do not suppose that a possible answer would be cost? Maybe Delta does not want to serve hot meals on Delta Connection because it may cost a little more per passenger?

If people will look, I was busy writing my question that posted at 7:41 CST while the person whose answer was the first answer about ovens posted at 7:39 am CST. Therefore, I did not see the first answer about ovens, as I was busy writing my post. It seems like some posters in this Delta Forum are just waiting to pounce upon a new poster without reading the posts. This is my first thread or post in the Delta Forum.

Last edited by mkr; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:10 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mkr
The question to which you responded was in regards to WHY there are no ovens. I asked if anyone knew why there were No ovens, FOR SURE. That was the first time I asked the question in this thread.

I thank you for your answer that it is because of weight reasons. I assume you have direct knowledge of this from someone inside Delta operations?

How much can an oven weigh? Does anyone know from direct knowledge? Or is it just a speculation that you logically reached?

I do not suppose that a possible answer would be cost? Maybe Delta does not want to serve hot meals on Delta Connection because it may cost a little more per passenger?

If people will look, I was busy writing my question that posted at 7:41 CST while the person whose answer was the first answer about ovens posted at 7:39 am CST. Therefore, I did not see the first answer about ovens, as I was busy writing my post. It seems like some posters in this Delta Forum are just waiting to pounce upon a new poster without reading the posts. This is my first thread or post in the Delta Forum.
Well people have taken time to answer you so there is that... There is a ton of direct experience here. Myself and many here can tell you that after 100's of Connection flights there are no ovens. The reason for no ovens is as Bubbashow points out, is that weight costs $$ and these ac are used PRIMARILY for very short flights that would not get a meal anyway. For longer connection flights they offer a cold sandwich or salad... Them's the facts.

I am not sure what "FOR SURE" means but I can tell you I have not seen one in my experience and I always fly up front when I fly DL (not a brag at all just a reality of the new very low FC pricing)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Interesting thread on Anet about ovens and their weight.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/304581/

Reply 5 has some of them weighing above 300lbs. That is a significant amount of weight for a majority of flights that don't serve food; the ovens are deadweight in those situations.

Having never worked in an airline and having no direct knowledge I can say with certainty that weight was the primary driver to not install ovens on the connection fleet. It is also the primary driver to have them removed from some mainline narrow body aircraft.

Last edited by TTT; Feb 26, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
Interested tread on Anet about ovens and their weight.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/304581/

Reply 5 has some of them weighing above 300lbs. That is a significant amount of weight for a majority of flights that don't serve food; the ovens are deadweight in those situations.

Having never worked in an airline and having no direct knowledge I can say with certainty that weight was the primary driver to not install ovens on the connection fleet. It is also the primary driver to have them removed from some mainline narrow body aircraft.
A lot of flights per day @300 pounds means significant fuel savings. It's substantially more that the average weight of an additional passenger and associated luggage. At one point, airlines removed onboard magazine collections supposedly for the same reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.