Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyBonus update - big changes

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RealHJ
I think it's pretty good (based on very limited experience), but there is absolutely no way to check it before you get an SB cert.
My experience was pretty good getting to F tickets. I had to call the SB number and make a reservation first then call to get the redemption certificates. The only confusing part was the 2 level of F ticket redemption. I forget the difference in booking classes needed but was able to find seats with the lower level.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Previously I've redeemed the points for a cert, received the number and just entered that on the DL website and applicable flights came up... didn't have to call anyone or get anything reticketed.

Of course I did use EF to find the proper fare buckets, since doing a normal flight search may not reveal the actual inventory. To redeem a SB ticket, you just need the bucket to be open, not the actual fare to be sellable through a paid ticket. For example, you often you can find flights that book into A, but a SB first class ticket needs G. Well G may be available but Delta is only selling A for revenue, and you can still use the SB award.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have had pretty good luck finding flights. It was a lot easier when EF was available though. I would avoid the upgrade certificates. I was told by the SB rep when I called that the inventory has to be available when you book and they can't be used to waitlist like a RU or GU.

YMMV, but it's also possible to use them to upgrade if you get the right red coat. I recently flew DTW/YYZ on a skybonus ticket (great use for those since they don't accrue miles and this is a low mile flight but very expensive) and was told by a redcoat at DTW she could put me on a standby upgrade list but I would be the last to clear and would clear after non-rev's and buddy passes. List was long and I told her not to bother but I asked about it at YYZ coming back and they had no clue what I was talking about and the flight went out with empty seats up front.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by rylan
As mentioned there is unfortunately no way to check availability before getting and trying to use the cert, since Delta killed access through EF to eliminate any sense of transparency.
Thanks for the info. But can I not call the SB number I'd call to redeem a cert. and ask if there is availability for my itinerary before I exchange the points for the cert.?

FWIW, I think I'll be angling for SFO-JFK in F.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, definitely can call and ask about inventory, and even redeem on the phone while you're talking to the skbonus desk.

Note that for the SFO/LAX-JFK routes they do require a little more points. You'll need Z bucket availability. Can do a quick search and see if DL is selling Z which would make it really easy to know without having to call... but odds are they're only selling down to D or I so you need to call up.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:31 pm

SkyBonus Shot to the Foot

I just received notification of the new "improvements" to SkyBonus, including:

Unique Employee Traveler Requirement

Ensure that you and your employees are getting credit for each business trip! Effective January 1, 2016, each SkyBonus company must have a minimum of five (5) employees complete at least one (1) travel segment each calendar year. Qualification will be based on 2015 employee travelers and their associated travel segments.
This move just seems very dumb to me. In a world where high-grossing professionals are increasingly operating as free agents (at least in my world), why purposefully exclude small groups of freelancers/consultants who direct significant spending to airline(s)? As a consultant, I'm a business of one, and while I expense nearly all of my business travel spending to a client, it's entirely up to me what airline I chose to fly.

Obviously, Delta has determined that this small-business market isn't big enough (or have enough potential) that the risks of individuals or families registering as companies to get extra perks outweighs the downside of restricting enrollment to medium-sized companies. But, from my perspective at least, that runs contrary to the general direction business is headed.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
I just received notification of the new "improvements" to SkyBonus, including:

This move just seems very dumb to me. In a world where high-grossing professionals are increasingly operating as free agents (at least in my world), why purposefully exclude small groups of freelancers/consultants who direct significant spending to airline(s)? As a consultant, I'm a business of one, and while I expense nearly all of my business travel spending to a client, it's entirely up to me what airline I chose to fly.

Obviously, Delta has determined that this small-business market isn't big enough (or have enough potential) that the risks of individuals or families registering as companies to get extra perks outweighs the downside of restricting enrollment to medium-sized companies. But, from my perspective at least, that runs contrary to the general direction business is headed.
Same here. Though my wife is a 50% shareholder in my LLC that still puts me 3 people short of the 5 employee minimum.

I just got the same e-mail.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup came up earlier and discussed... SB doesn't want your business unless you're a medium sized company or larger. Many small companies won't have more than a few travelers, so it kills all of them from the program.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:54 pm

Yup came up earlier and discussed... SB doesn't want your business unless you're a medium sized company or larger. Many small companies won't have more than a few travelers, so it kills all of them from the program.
Oh well, I gotten several free RT Domestic tickets from the SkyBonus program in 2014 & 2015 and about to get another so I really can't complain.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Oh well, I gotten several free RT Domestic tickets from the SkyBonus program in 2014 & 2015 and about to get another so I really can't complain.
Yup, just make sure to use all the points by the end of this year.

Note that you can redeem the points for award certs, and those are good for a year... so you would have until end of 2016 to use your redeemed awards if you select them end of this year.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:09 pm

Note that you can redeem the points for award certs, and those are good for a year... so you would have until end of 2016 to use your redeemed awards if you select them end of this year.
Yep. I've already used 4 of them for Business Development trips that otherwise would be out of pocket for the business. The 5th one is being used next weekend to go to Cooperstown for the Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
That is exactly how I'm looking at it. I've gotten 2 RT Domestic tickets and a lot of drink coupons that I've handed out to friends. I wish they weren't changing it, but it didn't cost me anything to join and I made out ok while it lasted. Just need to remember to cash out towards the end of December.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Seabilly
That is exactly how I'm looking at it. I've gotten 2 RT Domestic tickets and a lot of drink coupons that I've handed out to friends. I wish they weren't changing it, but it didn't cost me anything to join and I made out ok while it lasted. Just need to remember to cash out towards the end of December.
That's how I look at it. I don't like the changes and don't like how they screw hub based flyers on points, but it is a free program that didn't cost me anything.

I've used a couple of the tickets for DTW/YYZ flights. There is no way I would pay the absurd fares for that short of a flight otherwise and since it's a short flight I'm not out much but not getting miles or not getting upgraded. I've also used the points for drink coupons and skyclub passes to give out to employees with no status to help make a longer flight for work more tolerable.

One change I also don't like is that you may have to submit copies of w-2's for proof of employment. Some of the people that I fly for business aren't w-2 employees but 1099 sub's and not sure if Delta will accept those. Even if they do, there is no way I am giving Delta or anyone copies of those. I understand Delta doesn't want SB members having family and friends that don't work for them accumulating points, but there are some privacy issues giving out W-2's since that has an EE social security number and wages and other confidential info that isn't any of Delta's business
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

For whatever reason, I thought you had to book immediately when redeeming for a flight. Good to know I can cash out a cert and sit on it if I have points expiring.

How are these award flights treated WRT miles/UGs? I'm assuming the same as normal award ticket - no RDM/MQM/MQD, UG-eligible only for GM+?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:15 pm

Sorry for the dupe discussion... I did do a search first, but got nothing recent.

Perhaps Delta should at least take the word "small" out of its description of what kind of business it's targeting with SkyBonus. A company with at least five travelers isn't likely to be small unless all the company does is travel.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That's how I look at it. I don't like the changes and don't like how they screw hub based flyers on points, but it is a free program that didn't cost me anything.
Well, sure. That's true of any loyalty program. But, if we all took that attitude, FT would crumble!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.