Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Two one-way US-UK awards and customs/immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

I am a PM. I'm planning an RDU-LHR trip next summer. I'm wanting to go over Business class and back in economy. Can you book that online? I know I can call DL PM and book it by phone with no service charge. If I book online with two one-way awards as is allowed as of 1/1/15, do I get into any trouble at either customs/immigration at either end? (As PM I know I can change/cancel with no service fee)
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:02 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Can't answer re customs but watch out for large fees when originating from Europe. You will be much better off taking the 20 minutes to call in than trying to do this on your own.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
This happens all the time and you should not be getting into trouble with customs. Just take documentation about your flights with you, just in case somebody asks (which is unlikely).
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by gercohen
I am a PM. I'm planning an RDU-LHR trip next summer. I'm wanting to go over Business class and back in economy. Can you book that online? I know I can call DL PM and book it by phone with no service charge. If I book online with two one-way awards as is allowed as of 1/1/15, do I get into any trouble at either customs/immigration at either end? (As PM I know I can change/cancel with no service fee)
1. Best is to call in to Delta CS and get everything on one itinerary/ ticket number. Yes, they can book outbound in BE and return in Economy. This depends upon availability.
If booked as two 1 way awards you can expect to pay fees for the return that may not be to your liking.
Personally I prefer going to Europe in coach and returning in BE, as it is a much shorter flight on the outbound than on the return.

2. No. Immigration & Customs should not be a problem with one way tickets. Some of us do this many times due to changing/ dynamic of return travel dates.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Call to book as a round trip, with different classes of service for the legs.

Don't book as two one ways. Not because of any customs/immigration issues (there aren't any), but because it'll cost you a lot more as they'll hit you with large fees for the UK-US ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by gercohen
Just have an onward or return ticket - doesn't matter if it's two one-ways or how it's constructed.

Carry a copy of your e-ticket receipts as you'll probably be asked at check-in.

Lately I've done a number of complex Asian itineraries with a series of one-way tickets on a variety of airlines and when checking-in on the one-way segments it's the check-in agent that wants to know about my onward travel.

While it's possible, I haven't had customs/immigration ask about my onward tickets with the exception of visiting China under their transit-without-visa program.

SDF
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All Immigration may care about is that you have an onward or return ticket so that you do not become a burden to the UK. Whether that is a return on the same ticket or another ticket is not something they concern themselves with. In fact, they could care less if you are headed onward via train or boat as well.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
As mentioned, flights originating in Europe have some serious fees - enough that I would call it a penalty.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
As mentioned, flights originating in Europe have some serious fees - enough that I would call it a penalty.
This is true, I did a dummy booking US-Europe as a roundtrip and as two one-ways, and the two one ways cost at least $200 more in fees than the roundtrip.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:22 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by dd1612
Personally I prefer going to Europe in coach and returning in BE, as it is a much shorter flight on the outbound than on the return.
Wow, I don't agree with that one. The difference between having an unpleasant 5-inch recline and squashed in a narrow seat versus a lie-flat bed on an overnight flight is a no-brainer for me. Coming back it doesn't matter since I'm not necessarily trying to sleep
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by nk15
This is true, I did a dummy booking US-Europe as a roundtrip and as two one-ways, and the two one ways cost at least $200 more in fees than the roundtrip.
Not surprising. In addition to the pricing schemes to entice round trip travel the two one-ways means you have at least one ticket that counts as EU point of sale. If you're flying in J some EU origin airports have additional luxury taxes associated with J and F travel.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by motytrah
Not surprising. In addition to the pricing schemes to entice round trip travel the two one-ways means you have at least one ticket that counts as EU point of sale. If you're flying in J some EU origin airports have additional luxury taxes associated with J and F travel.
I thought the luxury taxes were based on departures from that airport, where connections without a stopover were counted the same as nonstops. So a RT USA-LHR (destination) LHR-FRA-USA would incur a big "tax" on the return, based on the distance LHR-USA. AFAIK the difference would be the European origination fees or fuel surcharges imposed by the airline.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 19, 2015 at 11:19 am Reason: correcting autocorrect
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by motytrah
Yes, in my dummy booking experiment all the excessive fee difference had to do with the EU origination of the return one way trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.