Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgraded at the window for my JFK-SEA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

Did booking searches for LAX and SFO flights, upgrade still secret.

I will sort of miss the secret upgrades - it was a fun game to play - figuring out the rules from data points, arguing with phone agents, deciding whether to use twitter or to call, and then watching my position on the list (which usually didn't change much because the list opened so close to departure)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Put less cryptically, JFK-SEA n/s are now showing "Upgrade Eligible". As suspected, it looks like TCON BE is gone from this route (to the extent it ever was there).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
actually there's still 1x BE 757 on this route for the next few months ... lv JFK ~330pm, lv SEA ~7am
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Yeah, I was wondering when this will happen as most of my flights have been on the 738s as of late.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Disappointing. I miss the days when they ran a 764 on this route. It was convenient to have (mostly) BE service for Asia connections.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elkapong
Disappointing. I miss the days when they ran a 764 on this route. It was convenient to have (mostly) BE service for Asia connections.
I think DL intends that if you are on the east coast and headed for Asia, you will go thru DTW or JFK rather than SEA
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I think DL intends that if you are on the east coast and headed for Asia, you will go thru DTW or JFK rather than SEA
It works for most destinations, but not for HKG with the elimination of NRT-HKG and potentially TPE if the rumors are true.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by elkapong
It works for most destinations, but not for HKG with the elimination of NRT-HKG and potentially TPE if the rumors are true.
due t the schedule change, i was rerouted from HKG NRT DTW YUL
to HKG SEA ATL YUL!
terrible schedule.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
actually there's still 1x BE 757 on this route for the next few months ... lv JFK ~330pm, lv SEA ~7am
I wonder if they will still be restricting UG's on this particular flight to PM/DM's?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
As suspected, it looks like TCON BE is gone from this route (to the extent it ever was there).
No, no, no! Look out into April. I heard 7 April was when it was supposed to start, and I see a number of BE 757s after that time. Even now, there are some 757s with sleeper seats (Usually 4 PM out of JFK and 7 AM out of SEA), and sleeper seats is what they had when they were actually doing BE on this route, except for occasional 767s on what I guess were repositioning flights.

I just took a look into September. There are usually only 3 nonstops in each direction, and the september dates I looked at showed BE on the 7 AM and 4 PM out of JFK and the 7 AM and 11 AM out of SEA. So NO, they have not eliminated the BEs. They are just in an interim period, I guess to get the 757s with BE into service.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Jan 18, 2015 at 5:57 am
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No, no, no! Look out into April. I heard 7 April was when it was supposed to start, and I see a number of BE 757s after that time.
In my earlier search I didn't see these, but now I do... and they're still listed "Upgrade Eligible". That leads me to still believe BE service is gone from this route, and the flights will be operated similarly to (say) the 777 on ATL-LAX... domestic F soft product on (sometimes) an international J hard product.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I find it strange that we have not heard any official word from DL on this topic--or did I miss something? They really pushed the SEA-JFK BE route and then just got quiet about it. It seems like they could not really get it to work, with frequent reports of equipment swaps to non-BE configured jets. Perhaps the rollout was premature? I would imagine that there is a market for this kind of service on this route.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They do not list JFK-SEA as Delta ONE route. That seems pretty official to me. Looks like they just decided to go ahead and change the upgrade policy before the March 1 date.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
In my earlier search I didn't see these, but now I do... and they're still listed "Upgrade Eligible". That leads me to still believe BE service is gone from this route, and the flights will be operated similarly to (say) the 777 on ATL-LAX... domestic F soft product on (sometimes) an international J hard product.
I think the hard product will be enough. I can live without overcooked lamb chops and a comforter that's a nuisance except on redeyes.

I think they're going to keep it the same - we will see. Why provide the more expensive aspect of BE and take away the cheaper aspect of it. Taking away the "elite" part of "business elite" doesn't really save them much, and it sort of vaguely annoys (especially) paying passengers who are now being told that they aren't elite.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I think the hard product will be enough. I can live without overcooked lamb chops and a comforter that's a nuisance except on redeyes.

I think they're going to keep it the same - we will see. Why provide the more expensive aspect of BE and take away the cheaper aspect of it. Taking away the "elite" part of "business elite" doesn't really save them much, and it sort of vaguely annoys (especially) paying passengers who are now being told that they aren't elite.
What? When they have idle 75S planes, they are using them to operate this route. That's not expensive, it basic fleet management. Would be dumb to have a perfectly good plane sit idle while they bring in another aircraft, just so they can prove that this is not a BE route.

I agree completely with others. The fact that this route was not listed as Delta One and the fact that it is now upgrade-eligible clearly means that BE is done on this route. Nevertheless, if the planes are idle, I bet this route will be at the top of the list to get them (with domestic first service)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.