Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Website Tickets Award Flight In Wrong Time Zone; Messes Up Risk Free Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Website Tickets Award Flight In Wrong Time Zone; Messes Up Risk Free Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HDQDD
This. It's a 24hr cancellation without penalty clause. Not a "24hr + 23:59 hrs" clause. Often we get more than 24hrs, but it isn't part of the guarantee. OP tried to game the system and lost. This is what parents call a "teachable moment".
Hardly sounds like gaming to me. If I buy a ticket at 2AM and Delta tells me I have until midnight the following day to cancel, a reasonable person could easily believe they have until midnight the following day, local time, to cancel. The fact that Delta issued the ticket using a server in a time zone three hours behind, and that this changes the cancellation window by a full day, should not be on the purchaser to root out.

They should either switch to exactly 24 hours to avoid any confusion, or prominently display cancellation language, i.e. "Risk Free Cancellation: Cancel without penalty until 11:59 PM Pacific Time on January 7, 2015."
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
This. It's a 24hr cancellation without penalty clause. Not a "24hr + 23:59 hrs" clause. Often we get more than 24hrs, but it isn't part of the guarantee. OP tried to game the system and lost. This is what parents call a "teachable moment".
Again, Delta's policy doesn't state a 24-hour cancellation window. Here is the actual policy: "Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first."

It has been this way since the Risk-Free Cancellation policy was introduced, which was many years before the DOT 24-hour rule.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by kahuna613
True....EXCEPT for people on the east coast booking between midnight and 3am. It happened to me before too, and they waived the fee.
DL waived the fee and processed the cancellation for me, too... I'm not complaining that DL has wronged me in any way and I thanked the rep for her help... DL's policy, as I've both read in their T&C and clarified with reps on the phone to make sure I had it correctly, as others have also said in this thread, is that you have until midnight the day after you book, so my booking after midnight should have counted as the next day. I'm simply suggesting that it would be in DL's interest to avoided people confused by the time zone the ticket is issued in so they don't have to waste their reps' time dealing with these issues... I assumed that DL, which is based in Atlanta, would book on East Coast time just like I assumed that AA would be on central time... guess I was wrong but I still think it would be useful to them to make an IT because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this issue.

Gaming what system? It is a "24 hr + 23:59 hrs" clause if the ticket booked is at 12:01... I was actually going based on the advice of a DL phone rep I spoke to previously who suggested I "give it until at least 12:30 just to be on the safe side." I think DL has a very generous risk free cancellation, which is a perk of using delta.com if I'm unsure of my travel plans but want to hold a ticket... I suppose I'm "gaming the system" also when I book flights that have more availability in F so I'll have a greater chance of getting an upgrade? I followed their rules, which is why they had no problem processing the refund - I'm simply suggesting, as I said, that I'd think it to be of benefit to them to avoid people having this confusion.

Originally Posted by Ebes1099
I don't think the OP was trying to game the system, it sounded like a pretty harmless mistake. I'd bet most people don't know tickets purchased online are booked using pacific time. OP booked a ticket on Jan 4 assuming he had until Jan 5 to cancel, where exactly do you get the impression he's gaming the system?
Thank you
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:29 pm

I wish I read this thread before booking my Delta flight at 12:02 AM EST which was time stamped the previous day...... Hopefully I won't have to cancel this now as I really don't feel like a fight. Maybe I'll do a cancel and rebuy after 3am (assuming it is still the same award rate) just to be safe. When I called to ask ... happened (before reading this thread) the woman on the phone told me they are ticketed out of EST so I shouldn't have had a problem. Apparently she was incorrect.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sorta old info. DL agents in last two years have become good at understanding that midnight can vary. They're flexible to go by midnight where you live, origin of first flight, or ES/ST. As long as you can tell them clearly which you assumed it went by they'll do it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:48 pm

My experience over the years is that Delta is very reasonable in ambiguous situations and certainly is not out to screw the customer with a ‘gotcha’. The schedule change rule, as an example, seems to be much more flexible than legally necessary.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Delta should put 24 hours in their written policy to prevent this type of situation.

They can keep the current system for their internal policy to be more flexible and for better CS.

In this case DL written policy is unclear and let the OP down (thankfully they made it right eventually). Yes they are way more flexible than the law requires but their written policy is dependent on things (like call center location) that the average person would not be on top of.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by 18sas
Again, Delta's policy doesn't state a 24-hour cancellation window. Here is the actual policy: "Cancellation request must be made by midnight of the day after the eTicket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first."

It has been this way since the Risk-Free Cancellation policy was introduced, which was many years before the DOT 24-hour rule.
When it was introduced the Risk Free Cancellation Policy was advertised as a 24 hour rule. Although the implementation was the same as it is now.

ATLANTA, July 27, 2005 – Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) is now offering customers who purchase their tickets at delta.com, flysong.com, or via other direct Delta ticketing locations, a Risk-free Cancellation policy to cancel certain tickets within 24 hours without penalty* if they find lower fares anywhere else or if their travel plans change.

“Delta is demonstrating to our customers that we are confident our fares are highly competitive, and we promise a customer will always find Delta’s lowest published fares at delta.com,” said Paul Matsen, Delta’s chief marketing officer. “We are also committed to giving customers more of what they want when they travel, including innovative, convenient, easy-to-use self-service tools which allow them to handle their own transactions online at delta.com and save valuable time during their travel experience.”

As Delta transforms to be more customer focused, it now gives customers the flexibility to search for Delta’s lowest published fares on delta.com and the ability to search for one-way fares and more complex itinerary requests such as stopovers, arriving in and departing from different cities and multiple-city itineraries. Other recent enhancements include:

Online ticket changes – Delta and Song customers using delta.com and flysong.com can quickly make changes to existing U.S. domestic reservations by adding or changing flights, choosing alternate dates, times or cities; and paying change fees with a credit card or electronic credit. Electronic credit, or e-credit, is value remaining from unused ticket(s).
SkyMiles mileage calculator – SkyMiles members can easily find the mileage required for an award ticket between their chosen origin and destination on delta.com. Detailed results include miles required, cabin, operating airline, award codes and rules/restrictions.
International Award Travel – SkyMiles members can now book award travel online on more Delta-operated flights to Europe, Central and South America and Asia.
Other airline check-in – In addition to checking in for Delta’s U.S. domestic flights, delta.com customers can now save time and check in for flight segments when their Delta flights connect to Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Northwest Airlines, and US Airways.
The airline soon will re-launch its delta.com web site that will feature a new, fresh look and provide better navigation for Delta’s online customers.

Delta’s new Risk-free Cancellation policy applies to tickets purchased at the time of booking directly from Delta for travel from the United States, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada. Most tickets, no matter where purchased, now must be ticketed immediately.

Delta Air Lines is the world’s second-largest airline in terms of passengers carried and the leading U.S. carrier across the Atlantic, offering daily flights to 484 destinations in 87 countries on Delta, Song, Delta Shuttle, the Delta Connection carriers and its worldwide partners. Delta's marketing alliances allow customers to earn and redeem frequent flier miles on more than 14,000 flights offered by SkyTeam and other partners. Delta is a founding member of SkyTeam, a global airline alliance that provides customers with extensive worldwide destinations, flights and services. Customers can check in for flights, print boarding passes and check flight status at delta.com.

*Risk-free Cancellation Policy: Risk-free Cancellation gives customers the flexibility to cancel a ticket after purchasing if they find a lower fare elsewhere or if their travel plans change and receive a full refund with no cancellation fee. This policy applies to tickets valid for travel originating in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada, regardless of where the ticket is purchased. Cancellation requests must be made by midnight of the day after the ticket is purchased or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first. After that, the fare rules for the ticket purchased will apply. Reservations over the telephone for payment with any paper currency, such as cash, check or a denied boarding voucher, will still be held with a telephone reservations without payment until midnight one day after the reservation is made and we will guarantee the fare if you ticket with Delta. Once purchased, these tickets will not be eligible for cancellation under the Risk-free Cancellation policy. Fares, offers and rules are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. ©2005 Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.